Angry Terminating affiliates right before busy season.
    In the last two days, I have been terminated by merchants that I have been with for the last several years. Why would a merchant terminated an affiliate right before the holidays when we are expecting our bulk of our sales. I've been doing this for over 10 years and it always surprises me went this happens.

I feel like a boxer sometimes. There is always someone trying to knock us down. The recent Google changes had knocked us down for a while and recently we have slowly worked our way back. Not like last year but we get the feeling that things were improving slowly with a lot of work on our end.

Just hate removing merchants as it is a domino effect. Can't ya'll wait till after the holidays.
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Have had other thread on this subject and seems to be blue chip brands. My take is that they intend to up their discounts and promotions. I had a merchant pull a program this time in 2010 as they felt affiliates cannibalized their sales as they were advertising heavily on a national talkshow. I happened to pick up a competitor the next year and compared sales that period. Had nothing to do with affiliates as the other company had an identical sales spike. The former has since relaunched their program. Just my 2 cents worth.

3. Thanks From:

Outsourced Program Manager gunner101's Avatar
    Terminating affiliates right before the holidays is definitely a bad idea. I've also found that a few of the affiliate networks report activity incorrectly and while it looks like an affiliate is not doing well (usually click reporting) they in fact may be selling lots of product. Be sure to contact affiliates you are about to terminate and ask them why you are not seeing sales. Doing this will also activate a few non producing affiliates.

There are a few affiliate networks that charge for email deployment. If your affiliate manager has not been reviewing and approving or declining affiliate applications (your account set to auto approve) then you will have thousands of affiliates joined to your program who will never produce any sales and could cost additional email deployment fees.

Make sure you set up criteria for approving affiliates and review applications daily.

Even worse, last year Irecall a large merchant trying to claim that they had a "tracking outage" over Black Friday and Cyber Monday". Not buying that one.....

6. Thanks From:

Tax Paying Member
    New one for me this year...........3 weeks before Christmas and the web site is under renovation.....A big pop up explains that but has a button "Click to shop"...............I click to shop and see normal operation, but clicks do not track.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Tax Paying Member
    I cried Wolf too quick................Click did track
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

9. Thanks From:

It's always amazed me when companies get rid of affiliates thinking they can make more money advertising specials. I have found in my 15+ years as an affiliate manager that a company will make much more money by using affiliates than any other advertising method.

Some companies will never learn.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread