Question What Linux/PHP Shared Hosting do you like?
    The worst thing about Affiliate Marketing these days is hosting in my option. I currently still use shared hosting for a few reasons. 1) I do not want all of my sites on one server 2) About 50% of my sites are ASP so they have to be on a Windows server and the other 50% (and growing) are PHP on a Linux server

So what shared Linux /PHP Hosting do you recommend and how long have you been hosting your sites on their server?

Kevin....
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

I agree with you on not keeping all your sites in the same place. I have tried quite a fe hosts over the last 15 years - there was a lot of churn in the "early days."

I just fired WebHostingbuzz - figured I would give then a try because they had a presence here (although is now lackluster). I had a reseller account for nearly 18 months but had some problems with hacks on the whole server space a couple weeks ago. Enough griping, eh? So who do I use?

HostGator has me for two reseller accounts - lots of bang for the buck and has been very reliable for me for the last five (?) years or so.

Our main sites, however, are on three VPS units at Servint.net. We got our first one nearly nine years ago (early 2005) and it's been a good ride. Not cheap - but fast, reliable and top-shelf tech support.

I don't have the tech skills and don't want to take the time to manage a dedicated server. I would likely save a few dollars but the management time would take too much of my time - so we'll pay someone else who can be on top of things 24/7/365.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

3. Thanks From:
    kse

Thank Bill, I see I not alone when it comes to hosting issues

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    HostGator has me for two reseller accounts - lots of bang for the buck and has been very reliable for me for the last five (?) years or so.
    I also have both a PHP hosting account and a Windows hosting account at HostGator for 2 years or so and before the last month or so I would say they were a good host. However the last month or so I had lots of outages and some last for 5+ hours!! This week alone I had 5 outages that lasted over 2+ hours EACH!
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

Quote Originally Posted by kse View Post
    Thank Bill, I see I not alone when it comes to hosting issues

I also have both a PHP hosting account and a Windows hosting account at HostGator for 2 years or so and before the last month or so I would say they were a good host. However the last month or so I had lots of outages and some last for 5+ hours!! This week alone I had 5 outages that lasted over 2+ hours EACH!
    Wow - I guess I've been fortunate - but I don't have any of our main sites (read that as main revenue avenues) with the Gator. I have an old monitoring service on one site for each server and have seldom seen any problems. However, they only check every hour.

If I'm serious about this as a business I believe I should pay for good and reliable service. I've only had one issue with Servint in all that time - and that was because my "original" server had grown an antiquated OS. I had to do some manual work during the major upgrade. But the communication was from them was excellent. They scheduled the down time (about an hour) during the wee hours here in the US. So I doubt I lost any real traffic.

Interestingly (is that a word?) that during the hack of my reseller account at WebHostingBuzza a similar attempt was made on one VPS unit. It did not succeed at Servint, I was emailed about the potential problem, and informed that a script was installed to prevent a similar attack. At WHB they shut down three sites without warning and, when I responded to their inquiry in the "first" email, it took nearly two days to get a response. Meanwhile I got someone on "chat" to help me get back into my account and was able to move my sites (to Servint). There is more to the story - but I'll save that for a blog post on hosting and service and tech support and ...
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    My Linux loving friends have been extolling the virtues of Amazon's cloud hosting solution of late. I'm not sure what it offers personally but just thought I'd toss that out there as an alternative option. I hear some big companies are relying on it.

I personally use Hostgator and A2Hosting myself on various sites.

7. Thanks From:
    kse

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Wow - I guess I've been fortunate - but I don't have any of our main sites (read that as main revenue avenues) with the Gator. I have an old monitoring service on one site for each server and have seldom seen any problems. However, they only check every hour.

If I'm serious about this as a business I believe I should pay for good and reliable service. I've only had one issue with Servint in all that time - and that was because my "original" server had grown an antiquated OS. I had to do some manual work during the major upgrade. But the communication was from them was excellent. They scheduled the down time (about an hour) during the wee hours here in the US. So I doubt I lost any real traffic.

Interestingly (is that a word?) that during the hack of my reseller account at WebHostingBuzza a similar attempt was made on one VPS unit. It did not succeed at Servint, I was emailed about the potential problem, and informed that a script was installed to prevent a similar attack. At WHB they shut down three sites without warning and, when I responded to their inquiry in the "first" email, it took nearly two days to get a response. Meanwhile I got someone on "chat" to help me get back into my account and was able to move my sites (to Servint). There is more to the story - but I'll save that for a blog post on hosting and service and tech support and ...
    Bill,

We're still around here. Me less so but my team still frequents it.

We get very few cancellations so I'm interested to hear more of the issue you faced and the "hack" you mentioned. Please PM/email me with ticket IDs.

Matt

I am glad to see people that understand the importance of not using 1 account to host all their sites. If that server goes down, all of your sites are down.

I try to explain this to people sometimes, but most don't understand. It's good to even use different companies if you have a lot of important websites. Then you spread them out over many different hosting companies so they are safe (for the most part). If you do that, try to see where each ones data center is located, you don't want to use 3 or 4 different hosting companies that all use the same data center lol. If something happens to that center, you are down again. (just my opinion)
    [COLOR="Red"]Affiliates earn 35% recurring commission on every referral at [URL="http://hozta.com/affiliate_program.php"]Hozta.com[/URL][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hosting only $3.99/mo at [URL="http://hozta.com"]Hozta.com[/URL][/COLOR]

10. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager
    I've used more than a dozen hosting services over the years, but these days I have most of my domains on Dreamhost and InterServer.

Both have provided good value with minimal downtime (so far zero on InterServer, but I've only been with them 18 months). While both have delivered thorough and timely support when I need it, I must say I've been especially impressed with InterServer's response times, almost always under an hour and often in just minutes.

Dreamhosts' infrastructure makes it my go-to choice for shared hosting, and their sponsorship in recent years of our local Linux Expo is much appreciated by those of us who rely on Linux. Extra bonus points that they switched to Ubuntu over the summer, my favorite distro on both the desktop and servers.

That said, InterServer's scalable VPS solutions are among the most affordable I've seen, and they offer a choice of five Linux distros for those.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

12. Thanks From:
    kse

Affiliate Manager
    It is definitely a good idea to spread your sites out between servers, for the same reasons as others have said.

Another thing to look for in shared hosting is what types of backups are available. Are there full server backups happening every day in case the server has catastrophic data loss?

Other questions:
    Are the hard drives in the shared servers RAID'ed and hot-swappable to ensure as much uptime as possible if a single drive fails?

How much CPU and RAM is on the shared box? How much is allocated to each account?

What happens if you exceed your CPU/RAM/bandwidth usage - are you automatically upgraded, or suspended, or will the hosting company work with you to figure out why your sites are exceeding resource limits?

What is the maximum account limit per shared server? Is the host super-loading the server with hundreds of accounts, or are they making sure that the capacity of the server is not exceeded by the number of accounts?

What is the support model? Do you have full support/management 24x7 included in the price?

These are all very important parts of deciding which web host to go with, particularly for shared hosting. Price is important too, but make sure that you're getting what you need to ensure your site(s) stay up.

14. Thanks From:

I always prefer shared space as I don't want to put all eggs in 1 basket. I have multiple accounts with following companies including reseller accounts arranged by personal rating based on uptime, speed, support etc.

1. CrocWeb 10/10 - Been with them for a year now with 100% uptime. Never had to contact their support.
    2. HawkHost 10/10 - 4 years, Apart from rare brief down times, everything has been great.
    3. BigScoots 9/10 - 1 Year, Their service is very good, but I don't like the fact that you have to purchase separate backup space.
    4. NameCheap 9/10 - Have multiple reseller accounts for 3 years with them, Excellent Support.
    5. WebHostingBuzz 9/10 - 1 year. Uptime is good, but I sometimes get 502 Errors when their server load spikes.
    6. HostGator 8/10 - 7 years. Their service used to be very good, but after they moved my accounts to EIG datacenter, the uptime and page load times got worse.
    7. ResellerZoom 7/10 - 8 years. Their budget packages are good for html based sites, and good uptime, but I had very bad experience with their high priced Business plan.
    8. Eleven2 - 6/10 - 2 years. Bad load times, and server goes out multiple times a day for few minutes.
    Last edited by Nabz; January 7th, 2014 at 06:31 PM.

16. Thanks From:

17. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread