Launching program on multiple affiliate networks -Technical Challenges ?
    Hello,

I saw that many merchants are running their program on multiple affiliate networks. Could you please share what are the technical challenges involved in setting up and running affiliate program on multiple networks?

I also heard that an affiliate program on multiple networks increases the risk of duplicate payment on a single transaction. How do AMs fix this problem ?

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Look up conditional representation

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    I think you really need to figure out first what the benefits are to running on multiple networks before you go that route. The main challenge is the duplicate transactions, and affiliates joining on all so they get double or even triple commissions at times. in most cases it's a question of do you NEED to have more than one tracking platform? Being in more networks doesn't open you up to more affiliates necessarily though it may make you more visible as a new program/brand and it *may* help in the short term, as a long term strategy it doesn't usually make sense. Offer affiliates a great program with a rewarding experience and all the right tools from within one solid, trusted, reliable network and get your recruitment/activation/maintenance strategy nailed down. That's usually a better approach. I have taken over programs that were on multiple networks and migrated them off those multiple platforms in favour of being awesome in one place vs. mediocre in all.

The other real challenge is, do you have the time to be in and out of 5 different reporting systems every day, merging and sorting through all the data to ensure that everyone is in compliance and that you're not paying on those duplicate transactions? Not to mention, just trying to get accurate sales/performance data sorted out regularly on a daily/weekly/monthly/quarterly/annual basis or on the fly as you need it?

If you have an affiliate team dedicated to monitoring traffic/referral sources then great. If it's just you, you may want to reconsider.

4. Thanks From:

Darn, ......
    Is that what that search box is for?
    Where's the Great Life of Affiliate Marketing Hiding?

6. Thanks From:

Liz has it quite well summarized in one statement: "...being awesome in one place vs. mediocre in all."

Don't ask me how I know. That is a story to be shared at the appropriate time.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

8. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Absolutely optimize your first program but there are definitely reasons to open a second network and it depends on the merchant and the competition. I have take a LinkShare program that was 10 years old and opened a second on CJ because there was more competition there and more affiliates focused on the niche. I have taken a CJ program and opened a second on AvantLink specifically due to the better datafeed on AvantLink. We did $1.2M last year and expect hit $1.65M this year.

Handling duplicate commissions is easily achieve with some technical upgrades. No reason to stay shallow on an affiliate program. You also manage the affiliates and only allow them in one of the programs, part of the job.

Thanks Liz, you always reply in detail.

@ Chuck, I will read more about conditional representation.

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    We help merchants with this all the time. It just requires a little extra code.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

Outsourced Program Manager gunner101's Avatar
    I agree with the concept of "The Big Awesome" but also know that many affiliates have preferred networks. So by adding an additional affiliate network you will gain additional sales. On average we see an addition 10%-20% lift. You'll also find that a few of your top affiliates will switch from your first network to the additional network. Note that the top performing affiliates/publishers have their reps manage either by product category or by network.

Duplication of sales is problematic but can be avoided through different methodologies.

13. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by gunner101 View Post
    ...... Duplication of sales is problematic but can be avoided through different methodologies.
    That "problematic" part is also why some affiliates will NOT join a merchant with a program in multiple networks. Not all merchants (owners/affiliate managers) take the time to effectively use those "different methodologies." That is a shame - but that's the way it is in some cases.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread