How many people referred from affiliate sites buy products on the same day ?
    Based on your experience, what percentage of visitors (from affiliate sites )buy products on same day ? Any estimation ?

I can offer more than an estimate .

Here are the hard numbers based on our last 100,000 commissions. 0 indicating a purchase the same day as the click.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Prosperent for sharing stats. Very helpful.

I should note that year over year we have reduced the average number of days to sale by over 36%. That is largely due to our algorithm's getting people to the best converting merchant on the first click. We cut down on the research phase that people go through before making a purchase.

The takeaway being that it is important to get the right product in front of your visitor, and from the best merchant possible. Two companies may carry the same product, but one may convert at more than double the second because of site design, the inclusion of reviews, and other things like free shipping for example.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Here are the hard numbers based on our last 100,000 commissions. 0 indicating a purchase the same day as the click.
    Wow, ever hear of session cookie? I guess Amazon changed away but that's rather a compelling argument against session cookies.

nice data, prosperent.

but the OP asked what percentage of affiliated visitors buy within a day. your data appears to be for affiliated buyers.
    The internet is a fad.

Outsourced Program Manager
    I agree with the takeaway Prosperent posted "that it is important to get the right product in front of your visitor, and from the best merchant possible."

My experience regarding the statistics is just the opposite, though. From what I have seen, most purchases are made within 24 hours of click-through. This has been consistent over my 16 years of managing multiple programs in multiple networks with literally millions of transactions. The statistics are nearly always over 95%. This was true back in my days managing the Zappos program, right up to files I just confirmed with today. The two exceptions I have seen are 1) expensive furniture, and 2) complicated software. People seem to compare and think about those more before making a decision. With regular consumer products, though, purchase seems to be made quickly.

All that being said, I try to get my merchants to extend their cookies from the usual default 30 days up to 90 days anyway because it costs them little but it ensures that affiliates do get credit for orders placed well after the click-through.
    Last edited by JackMarketing; November 25th, 2013 at 02:31 PM.
    Jack Kotowski • Certified Affiliate Manager • OPM/Agency - program details: ABestWeb Forum of JackMarketing
    Managing affiliate programs since 1997 | Google Profile - JackMarketing
    Built Zappos.com to #1!!JackMarketing on Twitter and other social media networks • Inquiries: www.JackMarketing.com

The two exceptions I have seen are 1) expensive furniture, and 2) complicated software. People seem to compare and think about those more before making a decision. With regular consumer products, though, purchase seems to be made quickly.
    I would add to that fitness equipment (AOV $500-$1500) and emergency foods (AOV $500). Suffice to say any purchase with an AOV of $100+.

9. Thanks From:

Our stats are similar. We're at about 85% at the 24 hour mark. Remember too that this is across all of our 6,433 merchants (as of today), and as you pointed out, niche matters. People spend more time researching before making a larger purchase. Clothing, almost always within 24 hours, although we did see significant increases in earnings when we convinced Nordstrom to give us a 7 day cookie instead of their default 24 hour cookie. Based on the numbers though, anything over 10 days is pretty much a wash other than the odd sale here and there. People seem to make up their mind within about a week regardless of the niche.

If the OP question is based on what to set the program as then if you want to recruit affiliates don't set the cookie length to 1 day.

12. Thanks From:

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread