Trust Jacker
    Has anybody used the wordpress plugin called trust jacker? Does it work and is it newbie friendly?

Affiliate Manager
    It's hard to learn much about the specifics of the plugin because it's not in the official WordPress plugin site and most of the reviews I could find seem to be either from the vendor themselves or paid affiliates.

Because it's not in the WordPress plugins site, and because the source code for the plugin isn't available at the vendor's site, it would appear the plugin may not licensed under the GNU Public License (GPL), which according to the WordPress team is legally required for all WordPress plugins and themes.

The GPL grants you some very broad freedoms, including the freedom to share the code, modify it in any way you like, and share your modifications with anyone. That the WordPress team chose that license is a pretty tremendous gift to the community, ensuring that their software and all derivative works, which they say includes all plugins and themes, are freely shareable and must remain free for everyone.

You can read more about WordPress' GPL license on their licensing page:
    WordPress About License

Given the difficulty in trying to find the source code for the plugin, personally I would avoid it because if it's not licensed under the GPL its legal status may be in question.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Affiliate Manager martydickinson's Avatar
    Really? It's illegal to make a wordpress plugin and sell it? Does warriorforum and all its offers know about that?

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by martydickinson View Post
    Really? It's illegal to make a wordpress plugin and sell it? Does warriorforum and all its offers know about that?
    The "free" in free software is about freedom, not price. The GPL expresses no opinion about selling software. In fact, Richard Stallman, the inventor of the GPL, used to sell his GPL-governed software on floppy disks.

The GPL is a great way to share software, but not a good choice if your goal is to prevent sharing, since each person you sell a GPL-governed software to has the right to share it with everyone at any price they like, often zero.

Some free software projects do well with a suggested donation, since there's always at least some folks willing to actively support the project. But under the GPL, anyone who recieves the software is granted certain rights, which include the right to have the source code, to share the source, to modify the source, and share one's modifications with others.

In my experience the WarriorForum members are usually pretty smart and experienced folks. While many WordPress end-users may not read the license agreement that's made WordPress so popular, I would imagine any developer serious about making plugins for WordPress would take the time to review the license terms that govern their work.

For any further info on the GPL or its use by Wordpress, I would suggest reviewing the WordPress license page I linked to above, and the Drupal page they link to there. I don't think anyone could make their case clearer than the team members themselves do on those pages.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread