Thread: Surviving the Dark Side of Affiliate Marketing

Post Surviving the Dark Side of Affiliate Marketing
    My fantastically wonderful client, Santa Claus Christmas Store on ShareASale made the New York Times today.

It's a great article about good affiliate program management. Win one for the good guys!!!

Great mentions of ShareASale, Kush from VMInnovations, Affiliate Summit and Rollerblader (Adam).
    Last edited by Hectic GHC; December 4th, 2013 at 07:10 PM.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

2. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager Kush@VMInnovations's Avatar
    YAY!

Thanks again for the heads up Greg - humbled by the opportunity.

4. Thanks From:

! I have driven by that store in Santa Claus, Indiana many times.

Nice mention of ABestWeb, too.
    The internet is a fad.

6. Thanks From:

Great article. Congratulations!
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

8. Thanks From:

nice

10. Thanks From:

Nice to see Milan Jara of Decorative Ceiling Tiles talked about as well, Milan is by far one of the best merchants I have ever worked with. To bad he gotten taken advantage of by former members of ABW (in my option)
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

12. Thanks From:

Certified Affiliate Manager sunshiner's Avatar
    I love this store. Its like walking into Christmas in Mayberry. Its not just Christmas stuff though, its all the Holidays year around. Great article.
    Cindy Ballard, VP of Operations, Greg Hoffman Consulting
    Follow Me on Twitter @cingroomer
    My blog, www.oldfartlife.com

14. Thanks From:

Great read, thanks for posting a link to the article Greg.
    Michael Abramsky :usaflag:
    Affiliate Manager for [URL="http://www.creditfirm.net"]CreditFirm.Net[/URL]
    Email: [email]Affiliate@CreditFirm.net[/email] | Phone: 800-750-1416 x 901 | [URL="http://www.creditfirm.net/affiliates"]Affiliate Program Info[/URL]

16. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    Greg - Are you still managing the Santa Claus Christmas Store program? It looks like their website has been down for days.

"Our site is currently being updated. Please check back soon."
    Last edited by msladybug; April 1st, 2014 at 11:31 PM.

No, we are no longer managing it. We just took it on for a short time to help train their in house manager.

ABW Ambassador
    Bummer... Thanks Cindy

Realize this is a bit of an older thread but had a question. Thought of just contacting you privately to ask the question but then thought well maybe others may be wondering as well.........so, here I am to ask the question.

Realize "No, we are no longer managing it. We just took it on for a short time to help train their in house manager. "

but would you happen to have a contact address I could use to write the in house manager. (umm altho I have a feeling that may be a complete waste of time since they were offline are back online but none of their images are working) Normally I'd probably just say naaaaah why bother with them but as others have said I do like the store. Giving one last chance with them before I surrender, throw in the towel and give up.

Better yet, umm don't suppose you might want to contact them, tell them they desperately still need your assistance and get them to have you managing it again ????
    Last edited by purplebear; June 28th, 2014 at 11:06 AM. Reason: figure was worth a shot lol :)

Quote Originally Posted by purplebear View Post
    Realize this is a bit of an older thread but had a question. Thought of just contacting you privately to ask the question but then thought well maybe others may be wondering as well.........so, here I am to ask the question.

Realize "No, we are no longer managing it. We just took it on for a short time to help train their in house manager. "

but would you happen to have a contact address I could use to write the in house manager. (umm altho I have a feeling that may be a complete waste of time since they were offline are back online but none of their images are working) Normally I'd probably just say naaaaah why bother with them but as others have said I do like the store. Giving one last chance with them before I surrender, throw in the towel and give up.

Better yet, umm don't suppose you might want to contact them, tell them they desperately still need your assistance and get them to have you managing it again ????
    Unfortunately, the people that hired us were all let go after the holiday season. I have no idea who is at the company at this time.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.

Thanks for the info

23. Thanks From:

This is an old beef with me, going back many years. Trusted OPMs used to announce a new program, and I would sign up, because I trusted the OPM. I invested time and money building a site, promoting the merchant, and sales would come in.

Then, it turned out the OPM was only 'launching' the program, and after a few months handed it over to in-house management.

At that point, commissions mysteriously dwindled and quickly died out altogether.

I felt cheated because I had trusted the OPM. That happened several times to me. Nobody involved in this thread, it was a long time ago. Something for you guys to bear in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by VampireSkunk View Post
    This is an old beef with me, going back many years. Trusted OPMs used to announce a new program, and I would sign up, because I trusted the OPM. I invested time and money building a site, promoting the merchant, and sales would come in.

Then, it turned out the OPM was only 'launching' the program, and after a few months handed it over to in-house management.

At that point, commissions mysteriously dwindled and quickly died out altogether.

I felt cheated because I had trusted the OPM. That happened several times to me. Nobody involved in this thread, it was a long time ago. Something for you guys to bear in mind.

I turn down leads daily because of that. I've only brought on a handful of programs in the last year. We delivered outstanding results for the Santa Claus merchant and were ready to work all this year for them. But the owners shut down everything and fired the internal staff.

So we are mitigating the trust issue by not taking on risky business. I see many of the ones we turn down show up with our competitors.
    Greg Hoffman

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VampireSkunk View Post

That happens with AMs as well - someone who knows what they are doing builds a successful program and either goes on to a new gig, or is let go because the merchant thinks once it becomes successful it can run it self, or their nephew just out of IT Tech or the Wharton School can step in and run it. And it falls apart.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

I agree with Phil. I've been burned by merchants when both OPMs and AMs take over the programs. Sometimes I think the more successful that the program becomes, the more ripe it is for management to decide that they can let go of the person who built it up and just let it continue on its own. They figure once all of the affiliates are already recruited and in the program, they won't leave no matter who is managing it. And that just isn't the case.
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

28. Thanks From:

We've also (and I say this proudly but also unhappily) that we have taken smaller or unknown programs and built them so well that larger companies have bought them out and taken them over and used their own inhouse AM's who didn't exactly have the same moral ethics we have for our programs.

I'm a little fired up. Cindy is going to have to give me some oxygen soon. The new management team at Santa Claus Christmas Store is no longer going to participate in the affiliate program. What does that mean? It means they have no idea what they are doing and they do not plan on supporting affiliates.

I told them that their actions are irresponsible and they need to inform the network and joined affiliates that the program will close.

We had such high hopes for this program. It's unfortunate they are so clueless.

They didn't even acknowledge the fact that I told them they won the award for best program in 2013.
    Greg Hoffman

31. Newsletter Signup