Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Question about commissions/conversions
    I'm fairly new to the affiliate marketing world, but I'm seeking information about how to monitor conversions. I have about 700 "clicks" in just a few days, but I do not see any conversions.

Are the reports on affiliate marketing networks dependent on when the advertiser's reporting the sale?

How long does it take for an affiliate partner to see any commissions/conversions?

Do some advertiser's report their sales on a monthly basis?

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    Traditionally when a sale or action is completed, the pixel on the merchant's website fires, notifying the network of the activity. In most networks, this shows in the affiliate's account as a pending transaction almost immediately. Your network should be able to confirm their process with you.

As far as 700 clicks in a few days, perhaps the traffic source isn't a good match? Generating clicks is easy, generating buyers requires targeted work.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

3. Thanks From:

How have you measured the clicks? ie. via network interface, or your own tracking (which may include bots).

700 clicks is a lot.. I would expect to see sales, unless you're not providing enough info. For example, if someone is interested in a product but you don't tell them the price, they have to click for more info.

Also, as JCrooks points out above, targeted traffic is an important part of affiliate marketing. Clicks can be easy, sales not so much!

How does the merchant convert with other traffic? Ask the affiliate manager.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    How have you measured the clicks? ie. via network interface, or your own tracking (which may include bots).

700 clicks is a lot.. I would expect to see sales, unless you're not providing enough info. For example, if someone is interested in a product but you don't tell them the price, they have to click for more info.

Also, as JCrooks points out above, targeted traffic is an important part of affiliate marketing. Clicks can be easy, sales not so much!
    I'm measuring the clicks using CJ and Linkshare reports. Our traffic is targeted. Maybe nobody is buying. We've only been taking part in affiliate programs for 4 days.

So far we've accumulated over 1,000 clicks and roughly 1,500 impressions across both networks. It actually jumped up since I started this thread.

If it is that targeted without sales, you may want to double check that things are tracking properly with the affiliate manager. Are you saying that 2/3rds of your impressions have clicked? You aren't using PPV, are you?
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

Quote Originally Posted by JCrooks - AffiliateWindow View Post
    If it is that targeted without sales, you may want to double check that things are tracking properly with the affiliate manager. Are you saying that 2/3rds of your impressions have clicked? You aren't using PPV, are you?
    No PPV. All I do is use the provided links/banners from advertisers and put them on my website which is a targeted niche.

i.e. my Linkshare reports 800+ Impressions and roughly 400 Clicks. My CJ account is nearly double that.

Both have no conversions/sales. It's clothing so maybe people have different tastes. That's my best guess. A hundred people could see a pair of shoes and not like the style or maybe it's not their size.

I've only been on these affiliate programs for a few days so maybe I'm jumping the gun.

Everyone's input has been very enlightening thus far. I appreciate as much feedback as I can learn from.

Quote Originally Posted by fancypartner View Post
    Maybe nobody is buying.
    Everyone is buying. Your traffic is not targeted. Again, have you talked to the affiliate managers?

After four days of no conversions and more than a thousand clicks, I would be contacting you wanting to know exactly how you are promoting my products. Your numbers would be screwing up my channel conversions. If we couldn't resolve the no conversion issue, you wouldn't be part of the program by the end of the week.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

10. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    1000 clicks and no sales - your traffic is not even close to be targeted.

With a 1000 targeted clicks we'd have upwards of a 100 orders this time of year.

We play in the fashion niche, too...
    Last edited by Convergence; December 10th, 2013 at 03:46 PM. Reason: spelling
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Quote Originally Posted by akagorilla View Post
    Everyone is buying. Your traffic is not targeted. Again, have you talked to the affiliate managers?

After four days of no conversions and more than a thousand clicks, I would be contacting you wanting to know exactly how you are promoting my products. Your numbers would be screwing up my channel conversions. If we couldn't resolve the no conversion issue, you wouldn't be part of the program by the end of the week.
    I'll definitely look into it. Well, we're advertising for a number of different merchants so the "1,000" clicks is a total sum. We advertise for about 20 or so different companies all in the fashion industry. Each advertiser getting around 50-100 clicks. I'm not sure if that makes a difference. I'm very new at this.

Are you doing PPC?

Are you buying traffic to your website?
    Last edited by Convergence; December 10th, 2013 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Are you doing PPC?

Are you buying traffic to your website?
    None at all. Just using links and banners the advertisers provide. I share on Twitter frequently.

Is this a new website or an established website?

Starting to sound like you have a rogue bot/site scraper hanging out. Have you checked your hosting traffic logs to determine what kind of traffic you're getting, from what countries, etc?

16. Thanks From:

Launched site in August. So, it's not established yet. Just learning the ropes about e-commerce and internet marketing. The traffic seems to be coming from everywhere. I have a site tracker and it tells me when bots are online. Most of the bots are coming from China. Isn't that normal for all websites?

Quote Originally Posted by fancypartner View Post
    Most of the bots are coming from China. Isn't that normal for all websites?
    Normal for there to be bots from China? Yes. Could they be triggering "clicks"? Yes. Do bots buy? No.

We don't allow any bots from China - we block them...

Another question (shoving as much in before "The Five" comes on):

Are you using WordPress?

Yes, using WordPress through GoDaddy. How do I stop these bots?

http://www.abestweb.com/forums/progr...es-167932.html

WordPress is a bad bot magnet - always looking to post spam, get hacked, etc. If you're using plugins you could have a conflict there with your affiliate links, etc...

http://www.abestweb.com/forums/progr...es-167932.html

WordPress is a bad bot magnet - always looking to post spam, get hacked, etc. If you're using plugins you could have a conflict there with your affiliate links, etc...
    Well, I'm not a web developer so I guess I'm stuck with what I have. I paid a web developer to fix up my website and install a few plugins. If there are issues with plugins, then I wouldn't know. Jetpack is also active and that's already a bundle of plugins all in one.

I have other basic plugins for organization, but nothing heavy. Comments are disabled so spam just goes straight to trash. I get about 15-20 spam comments per week and I just empty my trash weekly.

There's no way around using a Wordpress platform because everyone I work with are trained to use Wordpress. It's the only way we can operate without the fuss of knowing web design.

One thing I should mention. If the affiliate networks reports are tracking the clicks/impressions then I would assume the advertisers would be receiving the same data regardless of my plugins?

If the networks are reporting it - the merchants are getting those numbers.

You need to start reaching out to the merchants and networks or you'll end up being dropped like a hot potato...

25. Thanks From:

If the networks are reporting it - the merchants are getting those numbers.

You need to start reaching out to the merchants and networks or you'll end up being dropped like a hot potato...
    What's the most common approach? Like I said, I'm new. Do I just email and say, "Hi, are you guys tracking my conversions?" (If I have any that is.)

No - you need to tell them you think there are bots triggering clicks. The networks can help identify what IPs/Countries your clicks are coming from - it's up to YOU to prevent bad traffic as much as possible...

How many plug-ins do you have on your site? More than 5?

Quote Originally Posted by JCrooks - AffiliateWindow View Post
    How many plug-ins do you have on your site? More than 5?
    10 active plugins.

4 of them are plugins that just add to the Wordpress interface such as Black Studio TinyMCE (web developer tools).

3 are social network plugins for Pinterest, Twitter, and FB.

2 are for security (anti-malware/anti-hack).

1 is for scheduled backup of my website.

All were installed and tested by a web developer. None of which cause any conflicts with the functionality of my website.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast