Diversifying your portfolio?
    Hey all,

Been running an in-house affiliate program for a few months now for an online travel agency with some success. I'm just curious if anyone has some input that is in the travel vertical, or even someone outside that vertical with a helpful suggestion as to what other types of affiliates to target.

For the most part I've been working with fairly well developed travel blogs, but I could definitely use some help with "diversifying my portfolio."

That is to say, what other types of websites could I reach out to and target for a travel vertical affiliate program?

Thanks!

Destination sites. Especially niche ones that focus on one aspect of a destination. For example I have had one online for Maryland's beach town since 1999. We do quite well with hotel reservations- but this is primarily a drive-to destination. We also do a similar site for Baltimore's Inner Harbor and another for Harbor East Baltimore - that both do well for hotels. The sites are more informational (for potential visitors) than sales - but sales do happen
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Thanks for your reply Bill. That does sound like a great idea. Are those two sites you mentioned essentially just informational sites about things to do in OC, Bethany, etc.? Based on what you say I'm picturing a site with a domain like Ocean City MD Maryland Vacation Guide | Ocean City Hotels or something to that affect.

Same thing with Harbor East? Just information about bars, restaurants, tourist sites to visit in Fed Hill, Canton, etc.?

Thanks again for your response!
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; December 12th, 2013 at 10:38 AM.

4. Thanks From:

Yes, that's the idea. The site you listed there is a competitor and has a lot of "banner farm" appearance (don't ask how much he charges for those home page banners - heh). That and one other are way ahead of my little ol' OCtheBeach.com - but that one is run by a web shop with 30+ employees and does the sites for (literally) hundreds of local businesses - with each one having a link in the footer back to John's main site(s). The second main contender has the actual city name as the URL (which that web guy paid $65K+ for about a half dozen years ago. They also own sites like Pennsylvania.com, Virginia.com and a few others. The other big site there is run by the town (paid $185K to have it built six years ago) and that is followed by the site run by the local Chamber of Commerce (built and maintained by the owner of the site you listed). My little ol' site ranks about 5th in popularity and is run by Jill and me - and we do OK, considering we don't have a lot of overhead in the form of salaries.

Can you get PMs? If so, I can share some contact info for one of those guys who may have an interest in flight. He/they have their own booking engine for Ocean City and (last I heard) are expanding that to other areas - that may have fly-in visitors.

For Baltimore I have no contact info but do know that the City-run site (Baltimroe.org) has/had a booking engine with one of the companies I had used. They were "sold" the product (by the same guy that approached me) about five years ago. For Harbor East Baltimore we use our own program (which, no secret, is fulfilled by Priceline).

Sorry - I know - TMI.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..

Ha, I don't think there is such a thing as TMI on these forums! Every bit is useful. It's always interesting to know some 'behind the scenes' knowledge. That's a really good way to get backlinks on all local places and add to his web authority. It's almost like he has a monopoly on that area!

TBH, I didn't realize till after I posted the link that it would show up in HTML format. I was just writing www dot visitoceancity dot com as sort of an example, not really thinking about "Hmm this is probably an actual, well-developed site."

But yeah that would be great if you could share that info with me! I can receive PM's so whenever you have a chance I'd really appreciate it!

All this talk about OC and Baltimore has given me a serious craving for some steamed crabs. Too bad it's December

Steamed crabs, eh? Yeah we've got them available all year - there is a good aff program on SAS and we send them some customers I could drive to their docks in about an hour from where I live. BING this - south baltimore steamed crabs - and see if you can find what I'm talking about.

I also just sent you a PM with some background and contact info. Not that anything might happen with this one - but as a sample of what/who I had in mind that may have interest in a flight program. Good luck.

8. Thanks From:

Yeah, I haven't been down to OC since MDW, though I did get down to Rehobeth at the end of August and had some delicious crabs and corn

A SAS program for steamed crabs!? Now I've seen aff marketing for everything!!

Thanks again for the info Bill. I really appreciate it!

Crabs for Christmas.
    This is long, but is by the original writer. It is played on local (Maryland) radio stations along with traditional music.

education sites?
    What about education sites that cater to teachers? They are big summer travelers, and a smaller subset of them take students on trips of one sort or another, many of them international.

Michael

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread