Needless concern? "Number of Occurrences: 1"
    Hi everyone,
    I have a quick question regarding CJ.com. There is this company with an affiliate program that looks very promising, but in the program terms it says "Number of Occurrences: 1". Can I assume that this is just a mistake? That would mean that after the first referral, no further commissions would be paid for transferred sales. Has anyone ever stumbled upon offers like that or should I be unconcerned?

Thanks,
    Garvante

It means you will only receive commission on 1 sale. You will not get a commission on any sales after that even though your cookie is still good.

A lot of merchants do that to cheat you.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Thanks for clarifying.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    If its a merchant you want to promote then take the time to contact the Affiliate Manager to state that its not worth it for just one sale. Many times upper management put restrictive terms as they don't understand affiliate marketing. An email may give the AM an opportunity to address it. If they snub you then you know better than to waste your time on that merchant.

5. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy View Post
    It means you will only receive commission on 1 sale. You will not get a commission on any sales after that even though your cookie is still good.

A lot of merchants do that to cheat you.
    Not sure I understand, there B/B. If the terms are disclosed up front - as in the Terms of Service - please explain why how this is done to "cheat you," as you put it.

It may not be an attractive offer for many affiliates. However, I fail to see how anything unethical is going on there.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

It's a cheap trick to get you to spend time an money to promote them and then they keep the customer for life. You get paid only once from that referral.

Be careful with companies like that.

Bill - Just because it's up front does not make it a good thing to do to your affiliate network. But using the words "Cheat You" may be a bit harsh. That's why I said "Cheap Trick" lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Hozta com View Post
    ...Just because it's up front does not make it a good thing to do to your affiliate network. But using the words "Cheat You" may be a bit harsh. That's why I said "Cheap Trick" lol.
    Randy, I couldn't agree more. It is NOT a good deal for affiliates and I would not work with a program like that - except under "certain" circumstances.

Some merchants likely just want to pay a premium (referral fee) for new customer acquisition (which can be a valid model). It's just not one that many affiliates will associate.

However I am still curious about the rationale for labeling a merchant a "cheat" for setting business parameters that one doesn't like.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Well I agree with you Bill, I don't understand the labeling of "Cheat" either.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    If its a merchant you want to promote then take the time to contact the Affiliate Manager to state that its not worth it for just one sale.
    I'm with Chuck on this one, when in doubt try to talk to the AM like a human being. CPA means your success is the AM's success (ideally). I know that if someone comes to me telling me they can make me more money, I usually listen.

I like money.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    I understand that merchants change their programs to suit their marketing needs and/or goals - which include single occurrences during a cookie; But single occurrences are crap - for the affiliate...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread