Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Angry Cost Plus World Market
    I had no idea where to put this so mods feel free to move it if need be.

Effective today [Dec. 18, one week before Christmas - with one week notice if I recall correctly], Cost Plus World Market closed their Ebay Network program, directing affiliates to the Commission Junction program.

It will be awhile before many of their links can be changed out, especially considering this:

On Ebay affiliates were earning 8% while at CJ the base commission is 4% with very high sales thresholds that can raise the rate to 6%.

Query: Do merchants do this intentionally at this time of year to piss off affiliates and drive us just a bit closer to jumping off the nearest bridge or do they just not care one way or another how it affects us?
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; December 18th, 2013 at 10:46 PM.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

I think it involves the same sort of psychology that corporations use when they lay off people right before Christmas.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

3. Thanks From:

I don't know why companies do that either, but it sure creates a pain for the affiliates. Some companies don't see their affiliates as partners like we do. Some companies I think see affiliates as a necessary evil or something. I have been around hundreds of affiliate managers and most of them could care less about the affiliates. So you end up with stuff like this happening.

I look at my affiliates as business partners that I need. Affiliates are the most important part of our business.
    [COLOR="Red"]Affiliates earn 35% recurring commission on every referral at [URL="http://hozta.com/affiliate_program.php"]Hozta.com[/URL][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hosting only $3.99/mo at [URL="http://hozta.com"]Hozta.com[/URL][/COLOR]

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    It could be year end review and cutting back their marketing starting with affiliate channel. We talk to a number of companies that plan to launch an affiliate program in Q3/Q4, then at this time they push it back to Q2 due to other issues with the company. Since affiliate marketing is a final phase for marketing directors they tend to cut it first. I remember a December pitch to give my top affiliates a 2% bump to let them go after product based PPC while working for a large outdoor gear distributor. I was told NEVER as the company could use that money to buy their sales by pumping up their own PPC. They did this with inexperienced interns and years later it came out that they lost their shirts on the ad spend. Affiliates could have done well and immediately but management knew better (or did they).

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound View Post
    Query: Do merchants do this intentionally at this time of year to piss off affiliates and drive us just a bit closer to jumping off the nearest bridge or do they just not care one way or another how it affects us?
    Think it can be a number of factors, including when their contract ends with the network.

Commission reductions, however, are B.S. - especially in November/December...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    The Cost Plus World Market Popshops feed for CJ has disappeared, with a feed now only for a program at Impact Radius. Does this mean that they will be leaving CJ like they did with eBay? Did they cut their commissions in half again for the IR program?
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread