Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    December 22nd, 2013
    Posts
    9
    CJ Account Deactivated - Need Help
    Hi,

    I found a similar thread on your forums from last month and found some very helpful tips there. However, the reasons for my deactivation are different and I thought somebody nice here would be able to help out a damsel in distress. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

    I've been a CJ affiliate for over 3 years now and had been drawing affiliate commissions on a monthly basis quite successfully. Unfortunately, I got the same dreaded email on the 17th of December which said "This termination and removal is the result of non-bona fide transactions performed on your account in violation of the Commission Junction Publisher Service Agreement you agreed to follow. Non-bona fide transactions include, but are not limited to, false, self-inflated, and/or duplicate leads or transactions.". I was clueless as to what had happened because I hadn't touched my sites in months. Upon close inspection of my sites, I noticed that I had published a particular coupon and it had expired. I thought this may have been the reason for getting banned and asked them if that was the reason. I didn't hear from them for a couple of days, so I called the number mentioned on the previous thread. You can't reach Network Compliance using this phone number, but the person who spoke to me said he will get the relevant person to email me.

    I received an email from them the next day or so saying that there are transactions using stolen credit card information. This was on December 19th. I responded asking them how that is reason for me getting banned and I haven't heard from them since.

    Seriously, isn't it absurd that my account gets banned because some thief used a stolen credit card to purchase stuff from my website? I still can't figure out what I have done wrong. Is there anything I can do to stop people using stolen ccs on my sites? Any advice any of you give me on getting my account reinstated would be really really appreciated.

    Thank you and waiting to hear from you,
    Kathy

  2. Thanks From:

  3. #2
    ABW Ambassador kse's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 29th, 2005
    Posts
    2,511
    So are you selling/promoting products like you would buy at a store that would be delivered to their home or are you promoting leads where people have to sign up for something and you get paid per lead/signup?
    Last edited by kse; December 23rd, 2013 at 07:28 AM.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

  4. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    December 22nd, 2013
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by kse View Post
    So are you selling/promoting products like you would buy at a store that would be delivered to their home or are you promoting leads where people have to sign up for something and you get paid per lead/signup?
    Hi,

    No it's not a physical product. It's a service. The customer spends something like $1 - $39 depending on the package he/she chooses and regardless of what the customer spends, I get $15.

    May I know why you asked?
    Kathy

  5. #4
    ABW Ambassador kse's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 29th, 2005
    Posts
    2,511
    Well in the case of affiliates that sell products like for example clothing that get delivered to an address should not get the responses you got from CJ about why they closed your account (I would think) and that is why I asked.

    The type of affiliate marketing that you do (I do not) can be abused by affiliates I guessing. And I guess that why they are keeping an eye on your sales (and others). I not saying you are/were doing any thing wrong to cheat the system but I sure other affiliates are. Spend $1 and get $15 is a good return on investment.

    Did they ask you any question or just close your account no question asked?? Have they ever asked you about other sales in the past or is this the first time CJ Staff has contacted you in the 3 years you have been with them?
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

  6. Thanks From:

  7. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    December 22nd, 2013
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by kse View Post
    Well in the case of affiliates that sell products like for example clothing that get delivered to an address should not get the responses you got from CJ about why they closed your account (I would think) and that is why I asked.

    The type of affiliate marketing that you do (I do not) can be abused by affiliates I guessing. And I guess that why they are keeping an eye on your sales (and others). I not saying you are/were doing any thing wrong to cheat the system but I sure other affiliates are. Spend $1 and get $15 is a good return on investment.

    Did they ask you any question or just close your account no question asked?? Have they ever asked you about other sales in the past or is this the first time CJ Staff has contacted you in the 3 years you have been with them?
    Oh shi* now it makes sense all of a sudden! Thank you. No they haven't ever contacted me regarding such matters over the three years. Now I see why they had the term "self-inflated" in their email.

    Yes I see your point, buy I do too many sales a month (200+ on a good month) to have a palpable effect by cheating. Unless I could do at least another 30-40 fake sales every month, why would I do it? Besides, why would I jeopardize a relationship that would earn me a lot of money in the long run by taking a chance with false sales for just a few hundred dollars. If it was me, they could clearly see my name over and over. They said it was "stolen credit card information". If I had stolen cc info, I think there are other ways of earning more money than earning a few hundreds of dollars by self-inflated sales... right?

    But I'm really really puzzled. If I didn't do it, and I have a feeling they wouldn't shut me down for 1-2 false sales, what are the chances that many different people (lets say 10) would make purchases from my site? This is really weird. Just think about the statistical chances!

    Thank you very much kse. Any other helpful thoughts?

    Anything I can do to prove it wasn't me?
    Much appreciated!
    Kathy

  8. #6
    ABW Ambassador kse's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 29th, 2005
    Posts
    2,511
    Do you have anyone assigned to your account at CJ?? I know I have someone assigned to my account after my sales went over a certain amount but I never use them (all they do is tell me what to do for their benefit and not mine) If you been assigned someone you may start their or you could contact some of your top merchants that you promoted and see if they will go to CJ and try to get your account back.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

  9. Thanks From:

  10. #7
    Newbie
    Join Date
    December 22nd, 2013
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by kse View Post
    Do you have anyone assigned to your account at CJ?? I know I have someone assigned to my account after my sales went over a certain amount but I never use them (all they do is tell me what to do for their benefit and not mine) If you been assigned someone you may start their or you could contact some of your top merchants that you promoted and see if they will go to CJ and try to get your account back.
    Well I might have had someone, but I can't access that info now because I can't log in. I replied to an email from a lady that I had earlier and when I did, it bounced back, I'm assuming she doesn't work with them anymore.

    They did answer my support requests, but they haven't answered the last one. Now that I have some extra info, I might try to write to them again.

    Thank a lot KSE, really appreciate your guidance.
    Kathy

  11. #8
    ABW Ambassador kse's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 29th, 2005
    Posts
    2,511
    Let us know how it works out for you with CJ, only other advice is to give them everything they ask for, that way they will know you got nothing to hide.

    Good luck...
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

  12. #9
    Newbie
    Join Date
    December 22nd, 2013
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by kse View Post
    Let us know how it works out for you with CJ, only other advice is to give them everything they ask for, that way they will know you got nothing to hide.

    Good luck...
    Absolutely! Got nothing to hide and nothing to lose

  13. Thanks From:
    kse

  14. #10
    OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 5th, 2005
    Location
    Park City Utah
    Posts
    16,646
    Recommend calling daily and asking for resolution. Network Compliance answers to no one at CJ so don't expect to get them on the phone. Either that or give up on CJ and move on to other networks.

  15. Thanks From:

  16. #11
    Newbie
    Join Date
    December 22nd, 2013
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Recommend calling daily and asking for resolution. Network Compliance answers to no one at CJ so don't expect to get them on the phone. Either that or give up on CJ and move on to other networks.
    Thank you Chuck. "Ask for resolution", OK that sounds like a important piece of information. I've only called them once so far and emailed them like 3 times. They emailed back once. In the middle of taking some screenshots of traffic, serp rankings etc. that show ups and downs. Now that I think about it, I think I had slightly more sales in August - October and the sales dropped back to what it was in November and December. May be they think the higher sales during that period was self-inflated. Thankfully my traffic stats/serp rankings are correlated with the sales. I hope they buy it, although it's not definite proof that I didn't cheat.

    If any of you can think of a way I can prove that I didn't use the stolen cc info, please let me know. Surely, if they try hard enough, they should be able to trace who used them correct? Besides, shouldn't they report these transactions to relevant authorities and catch the real thieves?

    Thanks again!
    Kathy

  17. #12
    OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 5th, 2005
    Location
    Park City Utah
    Posts
    16,646
    I doubt you can prove you didn't make them especially if you have no idea what merchant they are talking about and what orders. Unless they show you that the orders came though your IP you will never know.

  18. #13
    Newbie
    Join Date
    December 22nd, 2013
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    I doubt you can prove you didn't make them especially if you have no idea what merchant they are talking about and what orders. Unless they show you that the orders came though your IP you will never know.
    Actually, they did tell me what merchant it is. In fact, I only promote 2 merchants and they said both have reported stolen cc transactions.

    Either they want to get rid of me, or a competitor wants to get rid of me. I don't know why the merchants would want to do that because I must have made about 3000+ sales over the years. Before these 3 years, I've been promoting the same with the Click Bank product. But then because this product/service was cheaper and better for the customer (CB commission ranged from $9 to $26 I think whereas CJ is a flat $15), I switched entirely to CJ. I can go back to CB, but then I would be lying to my customers by saying service X is the best

    I called, and the person who answered the phone (client support I believe) said 'resolution' has no phone number and they can only be reached via email. However, he checked and said my emails have been received together with the screenshots!

    Let's hope for the best!
    Thanks again for the helpful advice!
    Kathy

  19. #14
    ABW Ambassador kse's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 29th, 2005
    Posts
    2,511
    Again maybe you should also talk with the merchants or their program mangers.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

  20. #15
    OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 5th, 2005
    Location
    Park City Utah
    Posts
    16,646
    Agree, let them know that you are trying to sell their products and what you did before. Seems they would want to work with you.

  21. #16
    Affiliate Manager Hozta com's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 11th, 2013
    Location
    Asheville, nc
    Posts
    41
    One reason someone would use your site with stolen credit cards is because $1 charge is an easy way for them to check the card to see if they have the information correct and it's going through. A stolen credit card ring will find sites like yours and once they see 2 or 3 charges go through without a hitch, they will use a program to mass purchase at $1 each. It may place 20 or 30 purchases per day. The only recourse that CJ has is to shut your affiliate account down because they are getting hit with many false charges that cost them up to $35 per charge.

    It seems to me that if you are willing to remove that one service from your site, they may be willing to open your affiliate account back up. But that's something that you will have to discuss with them to find out.
    [COLOR="Red"]Affiliates earn 35% recurring commission on every referral at [URL="http://hozta.com/affiliate_program.php"]Hozta.com[/URL][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hosting only $3.99/mo at [URL="http://hozta.com"]Hozta.com[/URL][/COLOR]

  22. #17
    Newbie
    Join Date
    December 22nd, 2013
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by kse View Post
    Again maybe you should also talk with the merchants or their program mangers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Agree, let them know that you are trying to sell their products and what you did before. Seems they would want to work with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hozta com View Post
    One reason someone would use your site with stolen credit cards is because $1 charge is an easy way for them to check the card to see if they have the information correct and it's going through. A stolen credit card ring will find sites like yours and once they see 2 or 3 charges go through without a hitch, they will use a program to mass purchase at $1 each. It may place 20 or 30 purchases per day. The only recourse that CJ has is to shut your affiliate account down because they are getting hit with many false charges that cost them up to $35 per charge.

    It seems to me that if you are willing to remove that one service from your site, they may be willing to open your affiliate account back up. But that's something that you will have to discuss with them to find out.
    Thank you all for all your extremely helpful suggestions. I will be contacting them again after the 27th or so. This is not the best time period to get any feedback from anybody.

    Happy holidays to all!
    Kathy

  23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Account Deactivated...
    By JaysonH in forum Commission Junction - CJ
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: October 22nd, 2008, 06:56 PM
  2. account deactivated
    By ginraisama in forum Commission Junction - CJ
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: June 16th, 2006, 02:20 PM
  3. CJ Account Deactivated.
    By Talus in forum Commission Junction - CJ
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: April 3rd, 2006, 06:38 PM
  4. Account deactivated?
    By c4 in forum Commission Junction - CJ
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: February 15th, 2004, 06:54 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •