Affiliates: do in-house affiliate programs "turn you off" ?
    I'm just curious how affiliates feel about joining a program that isn't on a SAS, CJ, LS network. Ones that are managed by the company and work directly with the affiliates.

Thoughts, comments?

We don't work with you unless you are at one of the major networks. Too much work. We currently work with almost 7,000 merchants, and each network has vastly different data formats, so keeping the data up to date is difficult enough already. If we had to create custom mappings and management tools for dozens or hundreds of in-house programs, it would be a complete nightmare.

You would have to be a VERY big merchant for us to consider it, and i'm guessing most affiliates will say the same.

I guess I should rephrase my original post.

Would you consider joining an in-house program that was ALSO on major networks?

I don't know if that helps sway your judgment, but say a program was on SAS & CJ and had their own in-house program with higher commission, would that help your opinion?

I would still work with you through CJ personally for the reasons listed above. That might sway smaller affiliates though. If i'm a very niche site that only works with a few merchants, I can likely justify setting aside the resources to work with the merchant direct. I think the big datafeed guys like myself, isellstuff, and convergence would rather you be at a major network (they of course can chime in if they feel differently)

I should note again though, it also depends on the merchant. If you run bobs fishing shop, i'm not going to take the time to work direct. If you are Nordstrom, my stance is different.

99.99% of the time I would not join a in-house affiliate program, I do have one merchant who only has an in-house affiliate program and in fact I pay a yearly fee to be in their program but that is an exception.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

7. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    We promote THREE in-house programs. Two are purely in-house and one also is on a major network, but pays 5% more on the in-house program.

Two we have been a member of since 2002. The third is a hosting program where we have our servers.

Did do a white-label travel for a while but we just couldn't dedicate the time to it. Maybe next year - not sure...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Turns off managers too.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

Even though we are 5-bar at CJ (and were 4-bar at GAN), for the last dozen-plus years the bulk of our revenue has come from indie programs (that also have programs in one of the major networks). But, as Prosperent says, it has to be something special for me to even take a look. White label hotels have been our "right fit" since 2000.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I've had good luck in the past with indie programs too.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

We run a successful in house program where our affiliates collect mailbox checks steadily. We understand that we wouldn't have their referrals with out them. So we compensate generously.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eliteflyers View Post
    We run a successful in house program where our affiliates collect mailbox checks steadily....
    I'm sure your affiliates would appreciate your also offering direct deposit.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

14. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound View Post
    I'm sure your affiliates would appreciate your also offering direct deposit.

You would think. But most request payment through PayPal or simply sending a check.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by eliteflyers View Post
    You would think. But most request payment through PayPal or simply sending a check.
    Not for me.

I have last one in-house program left who still send out checks to my mailbox. Though there was only one missing check over the years when I had to call them and re-issued me a check, it is very inconvenient at this stage of time, IMHO.

I prefer merchants who provide direct deposit as a payment option.

Quote Originally Posted by mayfly View Post
    Not for me.

I have last one in-house program left who still send out checks to my mailbox. Though there was only one missing check over the years when I had to call them and re-issued me a check, it is very inconvenient at this stage of time, IMHO.

I prefer merchants who provide direct deposit as a payment option.
    From what I've seen over the years, that is the prevailing opinion. It's certainly mine.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

Tell me, Donell, When you use Paypal to distribute commissions, does your company absorb the Paypal fees or do they come out of the affiliate's commission?

I work with two indie programs. I like them a lot. It is based on very exceptional relationships with the managers.

Affiliates: do in-house affiliate programs "turn you off" ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound View Post
    Tell me, Donell, When you use Paypal to distribute commissions, does your company absorb the Paypal fees or do they come out of the affiliate's commission?

The payments we do send PayPal we send additional to cover the fees. It's such a small amount for convenience. The only fees we won't cover are wire transfers. Majority of our affiliates accept payment via check by mail. We find its the easiest and cheapest for us as well.
    Last edited by eliteflyers; February 8th, 2015 at 08:19 PM.

Interesting comments here. While my program is on Shareasale, CJ and Avantlink, the most engaged and responsive publishers are the ones on our internal program, run on Has Offers/Tune and Impact Radius.

Though it's much more convenient for me to work with the networks, if a company I feel strongly about has an in-house program (and no network alternative), I'll consider it. I want to see what kind of program the company has set up, how responsive they are (since I'm usually talking to a company rep if I'm even looking at an in-house program), and what their reputation is like here in the forums or on various affiliate blogs. That's generally how it works for me, though it's so much easier to have all the programs I want to work with in one of the networks when possible.

23. Thanks From:

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread