Howdy y'all, I'm a newcomer here. I chose to post under "Commission Junction" because I have been examining their services recently.

I basically have a few questions and would appreciate any of your answers. First, what advice would you give to someone thinking of starting up and becoming an affiliate publisher? I am fully capable of designing a fully functional website, as I have past experience in that area as well have proffessional grade software to do so.

Also, what affiliate programs would you recommend that I take a look at? I have read some posts on here and there seems to be some mixed results. If possible, give a couple of reasons why you recommend the ones you do.

Again, any of your responses are appreciated.

-Lucas

"Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work." -Robert Orben

ABW Ambassador
    First, choose something you really like and build your site around it.

Then pick merchants with products that fit in with your site. What works for one affiliate may not work for another so it is up to you to pick and prune your merchants. If the ones you promote don't convert, then try other merchants until you find merchants that are right for you.

For starters, check out
    cj.com
    associateprograms.com
    linkshare.com
    You should find something you could sell.

Personally, I stay away from merchants that are listed with some of the parasites. Such merchants do not convert well for my site. That is my personal choice. Some of these merchants do convert for other affiliates, so whether or not you use them would be up to you.

Most importantly, keep reading the posts in this forum by the more experienced affiliates who are able to earn a good living from this.

I'm a newbie myself compared to lots of other people here, and am still learning the ropes. I learnt the most reading the posts other more experienced people at abestweb who are willing to share and help the rest of us.

ABW Ambassador
    I wish it were as simple as picking programs that "fit" with your site.

Some merchants may fit to a tee and convert very poorly for you. If a merchant has a very low EPC, then you're most likely not going to do well with them, regardless if yours and every other of their publisher affiliates are a "fit".

You think, I'll build a popular children's site and promote Disney. What a disappointment you have coming.

You look up a program's EPC, and take a look at the chargeback percentage. Steer away from low EPC merchants, and those with high chargeback percentages. (Hello Ebay)

A mere compatible merchant program with a high EPC will many times pan out better than a close "fit" merchant program with a low EPC.

I would start with wordtracker.com and brainstorm. I signed up for a week in January and made some pages targeting the words/phrases it suggested.

- 1 week of wordtracker= $22
    - time spent making pages=1 hour
    - profit from pages so far= $264

264-22=$242
    =$242/hour

multiply that a few times and you get the idea.

ps. i didn't like the topic that I ended up creating pages for in this case - but that doesn't mean I don't agree with the advice to make pages for products you enjoy!

Thank you for your responses thus far. As far as building the website goes, I am proficient in keywordography, that is, search engine placement techniques.

A couple of y'all have suggested that I should become an affiliat with merchants who "fit my site". Well, my initial idea was just to create a website that was a large directory listing. For example, I would take all the companies listed on Commission Junction.com and list those in the same categories on my site where visitors could browse through these categories and visit the merchants site through the page links.

Has anyone tried this? And if yes or no, why or why not, and how well did it work or not work?

-Lucas

--------------------
    "Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work." -Robert Orben

so your keywords would be all of them? good thing you're "proficient in keywordography"

TO: ToughTurkey

I think my keywords would be targeted for the categories they were under, not the merchants websites themselves. For example, I know books and information is among the most wideley sold products online. Thus, I would use "books" and similar keywords instead of using "Amazon".

But hey, being good at designing a website doesn't mean I'll make a million in this business. That's why I'm here; to absorb a plethora of information that y'all have to offer, and free of charge I might add.

--------------------

ABW Ambassador
    Lucas,

For one, directory-like sites are everywhere, and people are almost as sick of them as they are pop-ups (ewwww!). Ask Yahoo why they don't like their own directory so much anymore.

Search is where it's at...because people want it fast! Wading through text links is not fun, especially for the working folk who have a limited about of time browsing around.

When you first start out...you think, I'll bombard them with it all! Yes, you'll bombard them right off your site.

Directories provide no form of endorsement. Surfers are overwhelmed with the awareness of how big the internet is (of seemingly endless choices at their disposal). They need someone to point them in the right direction.

Just a few 8 o'clock in the evening thoughts.

ABW Ambassador
    Standard Directories, not great idea if average, not great result for me from an specialized one.

Get specific, very specific, some specific topics get lots of money, I mean... LOTS.

Generic and not very massive = little money.

Fer

Lucas,

Forget an all-categories directory. You're competing with thousands of people who already had that idea. The top ones are doing well with it, the rest are wasting their time. You're too late in the game to compete.

All the obvious product categories are swamped with affiliate competition. Don't even think about trying to compete there, unless you think you can wrest the no.1 spot for "books" from amazon.com.

You need a niche.

P.S. Don't be alarmed if nobody gives you a blueprint to success including examples of which merchants you should promote. The only people who'll do that are called consultants, and they charge by the hour. But you'll pick up a lot of relevant info by reading past threads and reading between the lines. 99% of successful affiliates got where they are today through experience, backed up by a lot of reading.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread