Some Merchants Don't Understand Feed Aggregators
    I saw a merchant on hold in PopShops and when I wrote him asking why, he told me he deleted PopShops from their affiliates as they produced no commissions last year.

This isn't the first time I've seen this happen. I've communicated with PopShops to ask them to specifically spell this issue out in their initial communication with merchants as well as state this on their site.

This isn't an oversight on their part, but the abyss of misunderstanding is much deeper and darker than anyone could ever imagine, ya think?

I imagine Sellfire + other feed aggregators could also be affected by this.

In the meantime, if this info can be somehow disseminated, in general and to merchants, that would be fab!
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

2. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by JoyUnltd View Post
    This isn't an oversight on their part, but the abyss of misunderstanding is much deeper and darker than anyone could ever imagine, ya think?
    yup, deeper and darker than we want to admit.

I don't have any answers, other than to suggest that business owners need to outsource their management to a competent and attentive manager that can explain how affiliate marketing works and what we as affiliates need.

I see a lot of affiliate managers and business owners that really struggle with the technical aspects of running an affiliate program. Affiliate managers who want to treat us like a direct sales force. Affiliate programs that can't spot fraud or decline inappropriate affiliates. Lots of people who don't understand the big picture. e.g. the value of PR, of getting your name out there, winning over consumers, making sure your business is always front and center, etc.

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    We always try to explain how PopShops, Prosperent, etc, function to each new merchant that joins our network so they can understand the types of traffic generated and make an informed decision about their participation in each program. It does sometimes take a while for them to understand it, but once they do, it always makes it worth the effort.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

Outsourced Program Manager John Jupp's Avatar
    A feed aggregator is only as good as the data feed being supplied. The more info on a feed and kept up to date and competitively priced against others providing similar products and the chances are, you'll get sales. If merchants provide a rubbish feed, don't be price sensitive and fail to produce an informative feed and the sales will not happen.
    Flambi Media Limited - USA/UK/EU Affiliate Management Expertise

Quote Originally Posted by isellstuff View Post
    yup, deeper and darker than we want to admit.

I don't have any answers, other than to suggest that business owners need to outsource their management to a competent and attentive manager that can explain how affiliate marketing works and what we as affiliates need.

I see a lot of affiliate managers and business owners that really struggle with the technical aspects of running an affiliate program. Affiliate managers who want to treat us like a direct sales force. Affiliate programs that can't spot fraud or decline inappropriate affiliates. Lots of people who don't understand the big picture. e.g. the value of PR, of getting your name out there, winning over consumers, making sure your business is always front and center, etc.
    Yup, the issues are myriad. This particular merchant had a very competent OPM a couple years back, but decided to go on his own. I will write all my merchants, small and large, as PopShops told me this happens with larger merchants as well.

If their aff program is run internally, I'm thinking that if it was turned over to a new AM, they don't have this knowledge and think they're just doing some "spring cleaning." (But as we all know, kicking out "non-performing" affs is a whole 'nother issue in itself.)

Just posted this so perhaps other PopShops users can take the time to write a letter that explains the purpose of PopShops, Sellfire + other aggregators and tell merchants to not drop them as they haven't produced any commissions, which they never will. They only need to be an aff to gain access to their datafeeds.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

7. Thanks From:

We go through the same thing. Merchants drop us because we haven't sent a commission, but it's backwards thinking. On average we have 40 or so new affiliates join us each day. Chances are, at some point someone will join that has traffic for your niche program. It helps us sell the service, and it helps drive traffic to merchants.

9. Thanks From:

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread