...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    What size Adsense creatives do you use?
    Those that monetize their websites with Adsense - what size creatives do you use?
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

I run adsense currently at "exit" points (e.g. below the fold) where I think my website visitor might have decided to leave after not finding what they are looking for.

I'm using a 468x60 with image ads turned off because I once read that its best to limit your adsense advertisers to only the top bidders. So, small ad to limit advertisers, no images because I don't like the look. Seems to work, I make a healthy regular revenue stream from that one ad.

I also am a search partner, so I have those ad units, but that's really a different program. The search partner ad units have terrific targeting but my EPC is 3.5x less. I wonder if that is because they force more ad units on me??? I know the payout percentage is less too....

160x600 along the right margin is our best performer. Next is a 300x250 when I can embed it in a block of narrative. I have a few 468x60 placements (above the fold on a couple of sites) but they just do OK. I've tried the 728x90 which seems to do some good at the bottom of a page - for the same reason isellstuff lists in the first sentence of his response

I've been with AdSense since the git-go and am able to "count" on the revenue. Last summer I tried "testing" with Prosperent ad units in place of AdSense on two performing sites...didn't last long until I changed back.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

4. Thanks From:

I use a 160x600 in the right margin and ocasionally a 336x280 in the text of longer articles.

Used to use slightly different sized but these are among the new "recomended" sizes so I swapped over a few months ago. Income has icreased slightly since the change but I don't think its related to the ad. size.
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; January 15th, 2014 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Poster Request

6. Thanks From:

I use 3 160x600 in the right margin. I use Wordpress and the 3 ad spaces are WP widgets that show up on every page and post.

8. Thanks From:

I use 1-728x90 and 2-200x200. I am always use no more than three on the page.

10. Thanks From:

160x600 is what we use because it has the highest CTR.

12. Thanks From:

300x250 or 160x600 - in my opinion it is the best solution (the best CTR as JamesBiz wrote)

14. Thanks From:

I actually use the standard size it suggests by default. Seems to be working and converting pretty well for me.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zinsavage123 View Post
    I actually use the standard size it suggests by default. Seems to be working and converting pretty well for me.
    And what size is that?
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Text/image 336x280. This is what the suggested size was for me from Google in the adsense backoffice/dashboard. Currently what I run on my site.

18. Thanks From:

i do web banner designs and use adsense on my websites. Based on my research and experience the top performing ad sizes are:

336x280
    300x250
    728x90
    160x600

20. Thanks From:

I use several different sizes but nothing is hitting the sweet spot. I try images as well as text ads... I get a adsense check about once every other month, if I am lucky.. so far, I am not!

marty, try to put your ads right after the title of the article. It works fine for me.

23. Thanks From:

Thx Wackintosh...
    I will try that.. speak of the devil, I just got my quarterly AdSense check.

Affiliate Manager
    On my own personal site, I use 300x250 medium rectangle mid-post and 160x600 skyscraper in the sidebars. I'm insanely excited to have just earned my first $0.01 from my site. I know that is nothing monetarily, but it's finally a sign that actually people are visiting my site from time to time.

Baby steps!

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    On my own personal site, I use 300x250 medium rectangle mid-post and 160x600 skyscraper in the sidebars. I'm insanely excited to have just earned my first $0.01 from my site. I know that is nothing monetarily, but it's finally a sign that actually people are visiting my site from time to time.

Baby steps!
    Congratulations.
    Now that the "ice is broken" the water will begin to flow. All it takes is traffic - and it just works. AdSense has been good to me. I've been with then since the git-go and have not missed a check since I started receiving them the second month after I signed up.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Bill would you mind sharing what kind of monthly checks you see on average. had a recent discussion about bloggers making $100 a month on average and highly read blogs making maybe $500/month. Trying to get them to understand that affiliate marketing is much more lucrative if they take the time to learn it.

Note that Goog's TOS prohibits users from disclosing specific figures but I will share the following...

I don't really do much blogging but use Wordpress as a CMS for a variety of small niche sites. I also have ads on our main travel sites. The ad units we show provide a revenue avenue "averaging" low 4-figures monthly. Affiliate marketing, however, provides the bulk of our revenue - with the majority being from the hotels and checks verticals.

About that $500 per month blogger... If the traffic is there and the "topic" is difficult to match with a good merchant program. Then ads can be great. A real advantage for a one-man-shop is that ads are low maintenance, almost "set it and forget it" easy. However, with a good merchant-match and some creative promotion the revenue with affiliate marketing will (should) be better.

29. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by zinsavage123 View Post
    Same as. I also use standard size that is good.

31. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread