How to track PPC conv. rate across affiliate sale path?
    I'm guessing this is a total Noob question, but I must be using the wrong keywords because I haven't been able to find anything on this that matches exactly what i'm trying to do. It should be pretty straight forward, but I think my 10th cup of coffee is creating a problem for me at the moment lol.

I'd like to start a PPC campaign to my affiliate site and be able to track my affiliate sales conversion rate within Adwords & Analytics as an eCommerce goal.

PPC --> My Affiliate Site --> Merchant --> Sale -->Adwords/Analytics

I know I should be able to tag my links in ShareASale, but how do you connect everything else together?

Thanks in advance

Just realized more information may be needed to answer this question.

Step 1: An ad will be created for "Niche Keyword" that will link to "SomeNiche.com".
    Step 2: On SomeNiche.com I have approx. 10 affiliate products from 10 different merchants on ShareaSale.
    Step 3: User clicks on an affiliate link and is directed to the merchants website where they complete a sale.

Scenario 1)
    Ideally, I would like to be able to track the overall conversion rate of the ad for all 10 merchants in Adwords/Analytics.

Is this possible?

Scenario 2)
    Even better would be if I could track the conversion rate for each individual merchant so I could replace the ones that are performing poorly.

Is it possible?
    Last edited by UGIB; January 8th, 2014 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Added Network Name

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Your affiliate links would need to be dynamic - meaning they would have to capture referring information from your PPC ad automatically and passed on to the network via SID/Afftrack/U1, etc.

Then would have to export/merge your data from the PPC network and affiliate network to match things up.

Am not aware of how you would automatically update your PPC ad campaign...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Generally requires that the merchant carries your pixel for AdWords on their site (every page). Not something that 99.9% of merchant will do unless you are already their top affiliate.

5. Thanks From:

Your affiliate links would need to be dynamic - meaning they would have to capture referring information from your PPC ad automatically and passed on to the network via SID/Afftrack/U1, etc.
    This is what I was thinking myself. Do you know of any plugins that do this? Sounds like something up PrettyLinks alley? If not I may send this off to my developer. Sounds like the perfect WSO.

Sorry, don't use WordPress or plugins...

And talk to the manager before you spend any money. Ask permission and assistance.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

Quote Originally Posted by akagorilla View Post
    And talk to the manager before you spend any money. Ask permission and assistance.
    Talk to the manager about what - PPC to an affiliate's own website?

I about made the same comment, but thought I would wait until I had signature rights before getting in a pissing match with a veteran of ABestWeb Besides, I was really hoping the thread could stay on topic before going all sideways lol. Now that the chances of that are over here's my 2 cents on the subject....

...I wouldn't ask permission unless PPC was forbidden by a merchant. Can't see how it would be any of their business unless I was violating their T.O.S.

I'm really surprised no one has any solid info regarding this? It seems to me that anyone doing any sort of affiliate PPC marketing would be crazy doing so with out knowing what their Conv. rates are. Its a pretty straight forward concept and integral part to doing any sort of PPC marketing. I seriously doubt I'm the first to think of a strategy like this...
    Last edited by UGIB; January 9th, 2014 at 02:14 AM. Reason: typo

11. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Not trying to start a flame war. Just suggesting that 99% of paid search affiliates never pay attention to terms of service. If you go anywhere near trademark or sensitive keywords, you could have your sales voided and kicked out of the program.

My terms are clear, but most others are not. If you violate my terms, there's no .

It's best to work with the affiliate manager to avoid hassles later.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

13. Thanks From:

Fair enough

Quote Originally Posted by UGIB View Post
    I'm really surprised no one has any solid info regarding this? It seems to me that anyone doing any sort of affiliate PPC marketing would be crazy doing so with out knowing what their Conv. rates are. Its a pretty straight forward concept and integral part to doing any sort of PPC marketing. I seriously doubt I'm the first to think of a strategy like this...
    You're not the first

There just isn't a simple way to track data between the PPC platform and the network without the merchant being involved - and as Chuck stated, that's not likely to happen.

You need to export data from the PPC network and the affiliate network into your own database to track conversions (along with steps in-between, part of what was suggested above).

It's much easier to track conversions when you have permission to do PPC from the search engine directly to the merchant...

Its the "Adwords/Analytics" part that is going to give you problems. As far as I know, they work off of tracking pixels and/or Javascript on the "thanks for shopping with us" checkout page on the merchant website.

I've thought about running a script to "fire" the tracking pixels on my end, in batch, to import the data into Google products, but I've never spent time researching it.

There is one train of thought that says, "why would you ever give Google access to your conversion and revenue data"? Its like giving them a knife to stab you in the back at a future date. (and they will, believe me...)

17. Thanks From:

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread