ABW Ambassador
    Annoying New Datafeed Subscription Interface
    Oh no. Now they started to mess with the datafeed subscription interface...

No only the new interface requires more steps to go thru add or delete feeds, all the merchants' feeds are listed randomly. At least put them into alphabetical order PLEASE!!!

Are they actually read our feedbacks at all since nothing have ever changed. What's the point of having the "Feedback" button everywhere if nobody at CJ give a damn about what their end users feel?

This new UI makes me sick to my stomach. I've talked with the CJ UI designers and they are very clueless on what they are actually creating and how we use the CJ interface. Their "marching orders" are to regain any ground that they might be losing to the competing affiliate networks. They expect their "beta testers" to help direct the UI, but what they don't seem to realize is that we have full time jobs and don't have time to police every single disaster they create.

Mayfly, are we seeing the beta or have they rolled it out to everyone?

Just a couple of months ago I was telling Avantlink to change their feed UI to be more like CJ's. Now CJ does something stupid like this... Like I said, they don't understand what was good and bad in the old CJ inteface. They are just trying for "flashy" and "modern". So flipping sad...

3. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Have no clue how to edit an existing subscription -

MERCHANTS - It is time to leave Commission Junction...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Have no clue how to edit an existing subscription
    Yeah, I had to study the darn thing and click everywhere for about 5 minutes before I realized how it "works". You click the icon, then, its a two screen dialog. You have to click "next" to get to the feed list. I think the dropdown is the non-subscribed feeds and the list view is the subscribed. Its a horror show of bad usability. The fact that the list isn't sorted alphabetically is what makes it completely unusable. Even if they do sort alphabetically, its much, much harder to use than the previous design.

They didn't give tooltips on the buttons, so I had no idea what to do. The fact that they left the split screen design and moved to this abomination is truly perplexing.

Surely this is a beta????

6. Thanks From:

changed for me too. the whole account section in fact. I don't think it's that bad though. I think a pen/x should be pretty self explanatory. the wizard thing is a bit much (probably required since everything is designed for a 2 year old's aesthetic) but not really the end of the world.

it's still way better than any other network I'm part of.

bradk, I'm guessing you don't have large feed subscriptions? The UI design breaks down completely when you have 100's and 100's of feeds.

in the interest of full disclosure, I do not. but if it's a matter of finding/choosing merchants, when you click on the dropdown to choose a merchant, it's actually an edit box you can type in and it does a partial search, so as soon as you start typing in anything, it automatically filters to merchants that match what you've typed.

Quote Originally Posted by bradk View Post
    in the interest of full disclosure, I do not. but if it's a matter of finding/choosing merchants, when you click on the dropdown to choose a merchant, it's actually an edit box you can type in and it does a partial search, so as soon as you start typing in anything, it automatically filters to merchants that match what you've typed.
    So the problem is that many merchants have 2-5 feeds. It requires a lot of research on the affiliate's part to figure out which feed they should add to their subscription. Do you want the one that excludes electronics, do you want the enhanced feed with longer product descriptions, etc. When you are joining a lot of programs, you can't remember the "current state" of your feed subscription. You need to be able to quickly compare "available" with "existing" to see what has changed. In other words, look for new opportunities and examine existing ones. CJ did this better than any other affiliate network, until now... Also, merchants don't tell us when they add a feed, delete a feed, re-name a feed, etc. We must be able to figure out what is going on. A split screen, scrollable UI with both sides sorted alphabetically was awesome.

You know, I could probably sum up the problems with the new CJ UI designers. They don't understand how the underlying CJ architecture works. So they are making fundamental mistakes.

So for instance, they might not realize how much variability there is with many merchant's feeds. How a merchant can inadvertently change the name and add a feed. How some feeds are "dead" but still exist in the UI. How merchants upload many "feed flavors". How some merchants run networks of websites and upload 20 or more feeds for each one of their websites, etc. They don't understand how the CJ datafeed architecture makes subscriptions very flexible, but also hard to manage unless you have good visual tools.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by isellstuff View Post
    Mayfly, are we seeing the beta or have they rolled it out to everyone?
    I think it is for everyone.

CJ has been making several huge mistakes with their reporting interface since last year. As far as I know, both affiliates and merchants aren't happy about it. These stupid moves will eventually come back and bite them...

Quote Originally Posted by isellstuff View Post
    I've talked with the CJ UI designers and they are very clueless on what they are actually creating and how we use the CJ interface.

The fact that they left the split screen design and moved to this abomination is truly perplexing.
    You are right on the spot!

13. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    i am totally lost the way they replaced the old interface!!!

just a quick question in case anyone knows... are inactive feeds or feeds from merchants going inactive removed from their FTP ? (in the past this was not the case... hope at least this was improved)

Quote Originally Posted by KGP View Post
    i am totally lost the way they replaced the old interface!!!

just a quick question in case anyone knows... are inactive feeds or feeds from merchants going inactive removed from their FTP ? (in the past this was not the case... hope at least this was improved)
    My impression is the UI design is strictly cosmetic with no underlying changes.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread