How to get listed in Dmoz directory.
    I have register two websites in Dmoz website, I have added the proper category when listing the website. How much time it will take to list in Dmoz directory.? I have registered long back. now nearly 4 months.

I wasn't even aware the Dmoz directory was being updated anymore. I haven't heard anyone mention it for probably at least 5 years. If you're trying to get listed there for SEO purposes you may want to focus your energy elsewhere. Good luck.

3. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Worked even for Google 10 years ago but worthless now!

Chuck @ al

which directories are you guys recommending to start with that are actually effective?
    Also, some of the directories I found say specifically "do not register a site that is mostly affiliate links...." what do you make of it?

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    None, directory submissions died out years ago for SEO.

Stay away from directories. Good content, proper site structure and you are on your way.
    J. Duffield Affiliate Manager at Snow Consulting
    Let's Connect-PassTheSEO|#GSEG|Twitter|LinkedIn|Blog "Knowledge is Power."

Oh thanks all for your kind information, I was not aware of this.

This is very interesting indeed...Most companies I know make it a mandatory part of their SEO practices to register on at least a few directories. I think, as with a lot of SEO practices, black hat tactics and spammers have made it seem like its just good content, nice websites and a prayer on a dove to get ranked by google and found by your target customers...

SEO as a stand-alone tactic is dead. RIP. Building a site correctly, from scratch, is where it's at these days. Part of being "correct" is also being fully accessible. If you run your pages through any of the major online accessibility validators and you see any errors, fix them. Fix them now. Those validators are a good way to know if you are performing certain "over optimizations" (and Google has gone after over-optimization with a vengeance). It's also just plain good practice to be fully accessible as some estimates say up to 20% of the folks on the web use some form of assistive technology. That's a lot of customers to write off... The larger modern CMS platforms are accessible out-of-the-box but all it takes is a bit of laziness on the part of any developer or contributor to start to destroy that.

SEO isn't a tactic though, Arrmchair Voyager. SEO is simply making your website readable by "Google" bots and able to be indexed more easily. It's just telling them what your website is doing so you can more easily reach the people who will need / want to look at your website. That goes hand in hand with said website being accessible to the customers / readers / "Googlers." When you mentioned assistive technology, you lost me slightly, could you elaborate on that? All in all, SEO, when done as it should be, is simply making sure the people you are writing for / providing a service for, are able to find you, and are enjoying what they have found, no? Searchers Engage Overhere.

12. Thanks From:

There are still a lot of individuals and companies practicing "SEO" as a frontal assault tactic to improve search engine results, using the same tired old methods that worked years ago: there are still too many people out there who just don't know (more money than sense).

Assistive technology: screenreaders are what most people are aware of but there are devices available that go further, depending on what the disability/ies is/are. What the online validators are looking at is the coding regimen that assistive technologies access to do what they do: WCAG, WAI-ARIA, Section 508 (in the US). Should you ever get involved in anything on the web that receives US government funding you'll want to be at least Section 508 certified and you'll want to be sure your work passes those tests... or face not getting paid. If you look, you'll discover that iOS and Android devices are accessible out of the box but bad/lazy app programmers can bork that easily.

PS: The EU requirements are higher than they are here in the US. For that matter, most countries on the planet have higher web accessibility requirements than the US does.

PPS: Google has long had a horrible record when it comes to accessibility but they do spend significant time and effort doing lip service - it's a matter of "don't do as we do, do as we say" (except they don't really say - my experience comes from years of having direct access to folks inside the black hole). I had to evaluate Google Apps for Education a couple years ago, a suite of programs the University of California had previously said "if you promote this to your student body you will be sued" (because accessibility didn't exist). Since then I have gotten involved in the evolution of the ePub3 spec... but that's a creature of a whole different order and probably of extremely little use in this world of affiliate advertising.

Wow, you definitely know your stuff. Thanks for elaborating and giving me some new things to ponder in order to make my website more accessible to more people. I'm lucky to work with a great team and some talented programmers and it's our goal to be a real community in the industry, as well as affiliates for the brands. I'm definitely going to look more into any requirements and make sure we tick all the boxes. By the way, based on your location, would you dedicate your next proper, real enchilada to a poor London girl, terribly far away from all that awesome NM food you have over there?!

15. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread