OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    10 Alternative Search Engines To Google
    I got started in SEO in 1999 and we submitted our clients sites to dozens of search engines and directories. Here's an article that harkens back to those days to get around the dreaded G: 10 Alternative Search Engines To Google

now the trick is to get people to start using the alternatives.
    Jason Rubacky - CEO/SEO Nerd at PassTheSEO
    jason at passtheseo dot com
    @jasonrubacky

DuckDuckgo is the most widely used and became popular in recent days.

Other than Google, People are started to use DuckDuckgo a report says in some websites.

I started using the Encyclopedia Britannica for informational searches, the Sears Roebuck catalog for transactional searches, and a map & compass for navigational searches.

Quote Originally Posted by calebtheredwood View Post
    I started using the Encyclopedia Britannica for informational searches, the Sears Roebuck catalog for transactional searches, and a map & compass for navigational searches.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

Quote Originally Posted by calebtheredwood View Post
    Hmm, my friend with warts on his hands searched the Sears catalog for something else...

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rubacky View Post
    now the trick is to get people to start using the alternatives.

Agreed. It doesn't matter if there are better search engines than Google, people won't start using them en masse. Google is too big, if someone else is doing search better than them, they probably won't be doing it for long. Bing is the only possible Google killer out there as far as I'm concerned.

ixquick.com is good
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Divya_rai View Post
    Other than Google, People are started to use DuckDuckgo a report says in some websites.

yes, i completely agree to this thread. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    10 Alternative Search Engines To Google[/url]
    As much as I should hate Google, and as much as Google have f******p some of my affiliate marketing income big time, I have to say this:

As an affiliate marketer, Google can go to hell, Google Sucks, Google is a big hypocrite that just want any way to make money at the expense of those listed on the first results pages, of what ever Google says it's the best results of their search results (BS).

Moneywise: Google knows how to make it, and how to FK. anyone else on the way... (Google is smart.)

Business Wise: Google knows how to get the car out of the garage, test the car engine at 300 MPH thru an school zone, and be able to go home without getting any over the speed, ticket. (Google is lucky.)

Ethical wise: Google think that their unethical gig will last for ever, but even an atheist guy like me should know that there must be a some kind of God that eventually will take the Goo out Google...

===========

But, here I see a problem with Convergence signature:
    STOP supporting/using the Google - START supporting/using Bing
    I have never paid a sigle penny to Google, and as a matter of fact, they have stolen over $70.00 from my ex- AdSense account* for not making the minimum $100.00 in the last few years there. (Fk it.) - Anyway, I don't need those few pennies from that G. heaven...

*Ex- AdSense account because I have removed all my AdSense links from all my sites, not because I have had any problem link-wise with G., but because of my principles woke me up...

As far as supporting Google, I don't think that I will be supporting them anytime soon, but as far as using that SE...

As much as I would like to delete that SE link from my favorites, and as much as would like to tell G. to GFTS... I can never forget that it was on the F.G. that I was able to find and be able to see things that I have never thought would ever see again.

So there is my dilemma with Google, like an stupid analogy: She's a B., but she's is the mother of my childrens...

Btw Denis, you say to "START supporting/using Bing":

I will disagree with that line.

While I still have no problem with Bing, so far...

This is what I think of Bing after a year of observation, analization and realization: Bing if just a copycat of Google, even if their results are not in original sequence.

================

BTW, as an affiliate marketer, G. and B. can go to hell!

But.........

As a searcher, as much as I hate the only choice so far...

I have to agree with the devil! - G. have show me what I didn't think I can ever find online...

Maybe that old saying is true: "The Devil Is On The Detail."

But....

If that is true too, Freddy Fender was right!

"Wasted Days and Wasted Nights"

12. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar

Could change it to read start supporting OUR search engine - but that would be spammy ...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Affiliate Manager
    DuckDuckGo is certainly an interesting contender, but in the long term there are questions about their infrastructure.

Right now, much of their engine is dependent on other search engine APIs, so we can expect they'll be allowed to use those APIs only so long as they don't seriously threaten the vendors providing them.

Their index is Lucene, a good foundation but at a certain scale it's likely they'll outgrow it, just as Google had to make their own index system. Lucene's document cluster size limits are a great fit for the vertical-search solutions it was designed to support, but I'm not sure how well that can scale up to billions of pages and still maintain performance.

Crawling and indexing systems at that scale aren't cheap, so they'll need to up ad revenue to cover the costs if they continue to grow at the rate they have been.

And at that point, if their ads aren't targeted how effective will they be? And if they are targeted, what then would be the difference between DuckDuckGo and anything else?

Definitely an interesting story to watch unfold....
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Google is the major search engine and it controls 65% SEO traffic.Other major search engines are yahoo,Bing,Msn etc

Quote Originally Posted by FourthWorld View Post
    DuckDuckGo is certainly an interesting contender, but in the long term there are questions about their infrastructure.

Right now, much of their engine is dependent on other search engine APIs, so we can expect they'll be allowed to use those APIs only so long as they don't seriously threaten the vendors providing them.

Their index is Lucene, a good foundation but at a certain scale it's likely they'll outgrow it, just as Google had to make their own index system. Lucene's document cluster size limits are a great fit for the vertical-search solutions it was designed to support, but I'm not sure how well that can scale up to billions of pages and still maintain performance.

Crawling and indexing systems at that scale aren't cheap, so they'll need to up ad revenue to cover the costs if they continue to grow at the rate they have been.

And at that point, if their ads aren't targeted how effective will they be? And if they are targeted, what then would be the difference between DuckDuckGo and anything else?

Definitely an interesting story to watch unfold....
    Why would their ads STOP being targeted?

Also, They have partnered with Yandex and are relying less on others...

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Why would their ads STOP being targeted?
    Targeting is a matter of degrees:
    Google tracks you. We don't. An illustrated guide.

Also, They have partnered with Yandex and are relying less on others...
    Greater reliance on Yandex is indeed a good thing. But Bing, Google, and Yahoo work like they do for a reason. I don't think they're perfect, and there's always room for improvement.

Right now the biggest contender that's actually different is DDG. But it's not a magic pony. Infrastructure is expensive.

Like I said, it'll be interesting to watch this story unfold. For users of search engines, it benefits all of us to see healthy competition. And DDG brings something to the table none of the others do: they all have their own respective innovations, but DDG is innovating the business model itself.

I often use DDG myself, and I rather like it. But then again, in this business most of us use all of them. The real indicator will be when your grandmother tells you about the new search engine she's using.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Quote Originally Posted by FourthWorld View Post
    Targeting is a matter of degrees:
    Google tracks you. We don't. An illustrated guide.
    Consider that "Tracking" versus simply showing relevant ads (targeted ads) = But, agree about "degrees"

Was referring to:

Attached Images Attached Images  

19. Thanks From:

MajesticSEO is best site for analyses a Backlinks, keywords, new links, dead links and anchor text link ratio.

This has become a SPAM magnet for spammers from India who don't know a g'damn thing about SEO or search...

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    This has become a SPAM magnet for spammers from India who don't know a g'damn thing about SEO or search...
    99% of SEO threads turn into this crap. I wonder what it's like running an SEO forum. Must be a constant stream of India IP addresses spamming away day and night.

23. Thanks From:

24. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread