Allowing affiliates to post affiliate links.
    Wondering if it's acceptable for affiliates to post their affiliate links on other sites. Do advertisers prohibit marketers from doing this? Do affiliate networks like CJ prohibit this? If the site allows it, is it acceptable?

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    What types of sites did you mean? Advertising on Facebook is one thing; posting an affiliate link in a blog post response is quite another.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

3. Thanks From:

For example, a blog. A popular blog site allows guest bloggers to post their own affiliate links in the content. The guest blogger makes commission.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Yes that shouldn't be a problem unless its specifically disallowed by the merchants T&C. I haven't heard that it is.

Thanks Chuck. I was just reviewing CJ's code of conduct.

The Use of Non-Publisher Owned Web Properties/Sites/Pages to Promote Advertisers. Other than paid search, publishers may only promote advertisers on Web pages/sites/properties that they, themselves, own or operate. Publishers may not place affiliate links/tracking code, nor promote Web sites that contain affiliate links/tracking code, in or on third- forums, message boards, blog comment areas, classified advertisement services (such as CraigsList.org), etc., unless given permission from the third-party to do so.

Although it says it's prohibited, the last sentence says it's allowed if the blog allows such links. I guess CJ could go either way if it became an issue.

So what coupon sites out there allow affiliates to submit coupons with their own affiliate link?

Are you looking to post your affiliates links on other's blogs or have other affiliates post their links on your properties?

Allow others to post their links on my properties. Now I know that sounds crazy, but stick with me here. Is that allowed?

Its your property so its your decision. Perhaps others know otherwise but it sound fine in my book.

Their ability to do so may vary by merchant. Most merchants want to see the sites where their links are promoted, so unless the poster has added your site to their list of sites within the network, there could be issues. Whoever posts on your site should specifically check with their merchant in advance to confirm that this practice is acceptable.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

That makes sense. The advertiser should become aware. Options would be to do as you said or become a recognized marketing space. Publishers don't need to inform advertisers about posting links on popular sites like facebook, twitter, hubpages, etc. Breaking a few traditional rules to create a new method for publishers to make money is well worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by joey1 View Post
    Publishers don't need to inform advertisers about posting links on popular sites like facebook, twitter, hubpages, etc. Breaking a few traditional rules to create a new method for publishers to make money is well worth a shot.
    Be careful here - publishers DO need to review the merchant's T&C's before posting links on Facebook, et. al, because many merchants specifically state whether transactions generated that way are acceptable or not. If in doubt, ask the merchant specifically. Otherwise the affiliate could easily be removed from a program and lose all commissions involved.

While most merchants are open to new ways of doing things, remember that the decision on which of those "new ways" to accept remains in the hands of the merchant. It's their product, their reputation by association, their money. Communication is the key here.

13. Thanks From:

Noted, I didn't consider that. I guess an approval process would need to happen before allowing publishers to share for that advertiser. Ultimately, this still would leave the publisher at risk of losing their relationship with an advertiser.

I can only speak about our merchants, but most are willing to consider new opportunities affiliates would like to try. Just don't surprise merchants by doing something first. In this case, forgiveness is not easier than permission.

Great advice Jeannine. If anyone has additional concerns, please share.

Guest post with your affiliate link.
    If a site allowed guests to post about products and allowed you to include your own affiliate link. Would you post?

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    No.

You lose control of any traffic.

Typically considered spamming.

Like your other post, best to check with the TOS of the network and each merchant.

Best to have your own website and market it...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Yes, related to that post. An official thread here.

Lets say coupon-site.com allowed users to include an affiliate link with a shared coupon. Total loss of commission for the site. The site makes money another way. Besides the merchant not on board and content control. What other issues do you see? Would publishers participate? Be great to have a community driven site with publishers making commission from the content they generate.

As Convergence said, this is basically just a slightly different twist on your other question, and not having the merchant on board here is the only critical issue. Seriously, doing something like this without permission is not only enough to get you kicked off a merchant's program, it's enough to get you kicked out of any quality networks.

Please cancel the previous thread if that is possible.

This is all hypothetical. Just trying to get some insight from publishers who do this for a living. I would most definitely get permission from advertisers before allowing activity like this to happen.

The ultimate goal here is to learn what makes affiliate marketing so difficult. What can improve. What should completely change. Besides getting traffic, managing huge amounts of messy data is the big issue for everyone.

Sitting here all day refining feeds, uploading, editing pages is insanely time consuming. At scale managing this is impossible without the army. A community driven process would sure be nice. Who's looking for work?

Merged the two to continue the conversation, you are doing fine and these are valid questions.

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread