Motivators.com Cancelling Orders with No Accountability
    So, we have been promoting Motivators.com for several months now using their coupon codes. We have seen steady sales for them, but we realized that Motivators.com has been going in and cancelling orders later. And, it is not just a few orders, they have cancelled ALL our orders.

When I inquired with our CJ rep, I was told:
    "it would appear that they have attribution concerns and are reviewing each transaction to understand where the path to conversion lead. They let us know that the orders reversed came from organic traffic going to Motivators.com and then at checkout looking for a coupon code. They also indicated that they practice this same methodology with all the other partners."

So, essentially they are saying that we don't deserve credit on any of those orders. There are a couple problems here:
    1. There is no transparency or accountability here. CJ does not require any records to verify their assertion about the customers and the orders. We are essentially at the whim of Motivators.com to decide if we should get credit for the order.
    2. The coupon code in many cases helps to close the sale, something we should get credit for.

They claim they are one of the top B2B companies, yet their network earnings are 1 bar and their EPC is low. This doesn't seem honest or ethical to me especially as we are within their T&Cs. There is nothing in their terms about their attribution process either. What is your experience with attribution processes? Shouldn't merchants have to provide accountability?

I read a lot of people complaining about unethical affiliates, but I am very suspicious about what this merchant is doing.
    Last edited by jamuhn; January 28th, 2014 at 04:44 PM.

2. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Do they offer coupons through their affiliate program?

Not always, they have various promotional types of offers, but they don't update their links much.

In addition, their terms state:
    "Coupons and Promotional Codes
    Can publishers use coupons and promotional codes? Publishers may use any coupons or promotional codes that are provided through the affiliate program or otherwise available to the public"

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    If they aren't offering any coupon codes, how can you promote them with coupon codes?
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    If they aren't offering any coupon codes, how can you promote them with coupon codes?
    By looking for coupons that are "otherwise available to the public" as they explicitly state in their terms.

Is that something you think shouldn't be done even though they explicitly allow it?

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jamuhn View Post
    By looking for coupons that are "otherwise available to the public" as they explicitly state in their terms.

Is that something you think shouldn't be done even though they explicitly allow it?
    Not at all - it's in their terms. Often times site scraping isn't required - just sign up for their retail newsletters...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

8. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Not at all - it's in their terms. Often times site scraping isn't required - just sign up for their retail newsletters...
    Ok, great. Yes, that's what we did. And, I understand their reasoning here. But, they should have to provide some kind of documentation for their attribution decision. CJ requires none.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Attribution is a set of rules based on observed data, its not a magic bullet if the rules wipe out channels. The client I am working with give affiliates the sale if they are the closer and I am working to give affiliates a piece of the sale i.e. partial commission if they are an introducer or influencer. We don't track retargeting as they haven't nailed down the tracking so is treated like a display CPM campaign. It brings shoppers back to the merchant. There can be a dozen attribution touches if everything was tracked but its not that sophisticated.

In this case your merchant has decided that you as the affiliate closing the sale with a coupon code is valueless as they are going credit only to all other channels. Its time to find a different merchant. In my experience they will come back a year later after seeing an overall reduction sales and ask you to market them again.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread