Don't Put Made Up Values In Your Datafeed
    Well, I'm looking at merchant datafeeds again and its making me sad and frustrated. I've noticed two merchants in the last hour who are placing bogus values into the manufacturer ID column in the CJ datafeed.

So, what happens to a datafeed row that uses the same manufacturer and manufacturerID as a previous entry in the datafeed? Well, on my website, all subsequent entries with duplicate unique identifiers are ignored. For example:

You fill out the manufacturer field with "Breville" and the ManufacturerID (part number) field for every "Breville" product is set to "Stainless Steel". Well, then:

Breville Juicer "Breville" "Stainless Steel"
    Breville Toaster "Breville" "Stainless Steel" <= This entry is dropped
    Breville Coffee "Breville" "Stainless Steel" <= This entry is dropped

Stainless Steel is not a valid value for Manufacturer Part Number. For best results, you have to include the CORRECT values for the Manufacturer Part Number. A blank result for ManufacturerID will cause me to push your results to the back of my search engine, but a duplicate, bad value will cause me to drop most of your products.

I'm seeing "made up" values in the manufacturerID field, I can only assume that this was a shortcut to appease Google Shopping, which requires unique identifiers. I don't think you are getting the result you expected though, especially not on my shopping site.

Just to be clear, you are better off not putting anything into datafeed fields than putting in bad values. We have spam filters in place and re-using values in the manufacturer part number field will trip our spam filter and cause a ban.

3. Thanks From:

Ahh yes, how about the "test" product name.. ? Or the more entertaining "do not use" item..

On a more serious note, I'm getting fed up with bad datafeeds. It's easier to drop the merchant entirely (and not look back) than have to continue to monitor & build these type of exceptions.

Seriously merchants - give us good data, and we can send you good traffic.

5. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Are you able to send them an example in hopes that they resolve it. I have three merchants with errors in their datafeeds:

comma instead of period for price
    no sale price in datafeed (2)

First one has to go through IT in France to get it resolved, trying to see if the network can help. Its common in Europe to use a comma instead of a period.

Ot the other two, one has to get it taken care of via their CMS system through UniteU. The second through an outside agency.

Its only because I am catching these or an affiliate is pointing it out that they even know about it.

I bring them up to the AM's. I've sent out 100's of e-mails over the last few years. Response rate is pretty low.

8. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by isellstuff View Post
    I bring them up to the AM's. I've sent out 100's of e-mails over the last few years. Response rate is pretty low.
    Same here, hundreds over the years. I don't even bother any more. Of all my attempts to get this issue fixed, there was only ONE single instance where an AM grabbed the bull by the horns and did it herself. Trouble is, she can't spell, so that feed still needed attention.

You would think that by now just the idea of having a reasonably clean, reasonably complete, reasonably current, and reasonably well-categorized feed would be a common practice. But it's more the exception than the rule.

Affiliate marketing really sucks in a lot of ways that are probably never going to change, at least not for the better.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

I still send the e-mails out. I can make a lot of money and move merchandise if they add valid unique identifiers. The thing is, Google Shopping requires unique identifiers and just about every merchant wants to be in Google Shopping, so I send the e-mails out in hopes that it will be a quick fix for a certain percentage of the merchants.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by isellstuff View Post
    I've sent out 100's of e-mails over the last few years. Response rate is pretty low.
    Ditto - only one merchant stands out and completely redid their feed - twice. Other positive responses is when a merchant makes changes and unintentionally mucks things up. However, the majority of emails get little to no response - especially from the "big box" OPMs (who are nothing more than "email sender-outers" and not really managing anything. Much more success with merchants who have a manager or the OPMs who manage hands-on...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Send 'em my way, I'll school 'em!

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread