ShareASale User ID Leaving a Footprint?
    I did a search regarding this and haven't been able to find any info on it, but I'm starting to get concerned that my ShareASale ID is going to start leaving a footprint in my niche.

Matt Cutt's clearly states (0:13) that they handle affiliate links on their end, so wouldn't it be reasonable that one of the factors that determines the SERPs would be an excessive amount of properties containing the same user ID from ShareASale?

Common sense right? Why would Google return 5 results on the first page that all contain affiliate links from the same person. It also sounds like a great way for the big G to identify all your properties!!

Thoughts? Would it by wise to create a new ShareASale account for every property?

Before I hear any conspiracy theory nonsense I would like to point out that anyone's that's ever used BrandVerity knows that it's quite easy to scrape ShareASale ID's in aggregate and compile a list of properties/PPC/Etc. that contain them.
    Last edited by UGIB; February 5th, 2014 at 11:57 PM. Reason: missing word

I'm pretty sure it's against affiliate terms to have multiple accounts.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

Quote Originally Posted by UGIB View Post
    Before I hear any conspiracy theory nonsense....
    The original post you made is "conspiracy theory nonsense". Paranoia.

One of Matt Cutts' primary job responsibilities is to frustrate and confuse SEO-types. If you're going to listen to what he says, you're going to need a lot of Tylenol and maybe a bit of Thorazine.

If Google wanted to isolate and penalize sites solely on account of their having affiliate links on them, they wouldn't have to do anything fancy. And we wouldn't have to "wonder if they're doing it" or not.

Quote Originally Posted by UGIB View Post
    Why would Google return 5 results on the first page that all contain affiliate links from the same person.
    Why would Google return 5 results on the first page from different websites that all offer information on the same subject or all offer the same product for sale?
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

If Google wanted to isolate and penalize sites solely on account of their having affiliate links on them, they wouldn't have to do anything fancy. And we wouldn't have to "wonder if they're doing it" or not.
    You're missing the whole point. This isn't a thread talking about whether or not Google penalizes affiliate links. This is a post about the same affiliates links by the same affiliate leaving a footprint.

he original post you made is "conspiracy theory nonsense". Paranoia.
    I think of it more as due diligence, risk mitigation and protecting my investments. Now if your just doing this for fun I'm sure you have nothing to worry about, but when you do this for a living I believe this is a very valid concern and would love to hear from someone that has something constructive to say

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    The Google already knows - seriously.

The more someone tries to hide/mask things, the more guilty they appear when found out...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread