Tax Paying Member
    Hijacking Domain names on Search Availability
    Do domain name sellers still play the hijack game? Last night I logged into a large domain seller and searched for the availability of a bright idea domain name. I was told that it was available at auction and the current bid was $12,500.00.....WOW.......This peaked my interest so I did search for about six more names........Am I good or what.......Every one of my searches were available at auction only..........Present bid was a low of $855.00 and a high of $12,500.00

Not that I need another domain name.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

I love those emails offering me domains I can get by just waiting. The people lock them down but don't carry through for five or so days so the registrars release them back.

Lightbulb reproducing the problem
    Witzer, I'd like to try to verify and reproduce the problem you experienced. "Front-running" by domain registrars is not permitted under ICANN rules, and in fact ICANN once asked me (and even paid me) to attempt to demonstrate any instances of this behavior that I could find. If we can demonstrate that this exists, in proper laboratory conditions with videos and a never-before-submitted request about domain availability, we have a good chance of spurring action that makes this conduct cease.

You can reach me via Benjamin Edelman - Send Mail or PM.

Tax Paying Member
    I will send you an e-mail. It may all be coincidental....luck of the draw....etc.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    If you want to see if something fishy is going on with the auction site - just go to another registrar, GoDaddy, etc and see if the name is reg'd or not...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

6. Thanks From:

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread