Making sure I get the contact info I want
    I'm about to launch an affiliate marketing program within the next couple of weeks. I'm working with Commission Junction.

I've read that networks will keep the affiliates' contact information and not let you have it, and then it looks like they're going to charge me every time I want to send an email to an affiliate directly through the Account Manager interface.

I'm trying to get around this by centralizing all the directions on how to sign up, FAQs, my Affiliate Program Agreement, etc in a mini-site where I clearly state that the affiliate should contact me first with their name, email, website URL, etc so I can put their info in my system, thus bypassing any obfuscation of information by Commission Junction. I also have a sign up form on the mini-site to make it really easy for me to capture potential affiliate information ASAP.

My question is: am I being paranoid? Do networks actually not allow you to look at your affiliates' contact information? And finally, if this is actually a problem, what have others done to make sure they're able to personally contact each of their affiliates without incurring a charge from the network?

Affiliate Manager
    Hi Ameila,

This is one of the downfalls of using a network-- they put strict guidelines on how you can reach out to affiliates, as they are the middlemen in the whole process.

With the mini-site solution you mentioned: I haven't worked with CJ directly but I am fairly certain that if CJ sees you doing this, they will contact you (as I am guessing, it is a against their terms in some sort of fashion) and reference why this is not allowed.

I personally investigated this a few months back as I run all in-house programs for this reason. I wanted to give affiliates the opportunity to use the in-house program (giving them better incentives) so that I could work with them directly (Still operating two programs, so people who wanted to keep their account at CJ could). After talking to many reps. AM's and OPM's I found out this is frowned upon and CJ looks as this as a violation of their terms.

Probably not the answer you were looking for but hope it helps in your affiliate program strategy in the long run. Thanks!
    Taylor H. Barr
    Arbiter of Affiliates (and Partnerships)
    [URL="mailto:taylor@asmallorange.com"]Taylor@asmallorange.com[/URL]

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    My question is: am I being paranoid? Do networks actually not allow you to look at your affiliates' contact information? And finally, if this is actually a problem, what have others done to make sure they're able to personally contact each of their affiliates without incurring a charge from the network?
    No offense Taylor but you are off base. CJ let's the affiliate decide if they want their contact information i.e. name and email address accessible. 90% of affiliate provide it and some of the larger use the internal email system to keep things organized. CJ has a pretty good affiliate profile system and offers good control of commissions, private links, etc.

Emailing your affiliates is free, you only pay if you are trying to recruit outside of your program in the network. Newsletters are handled through the email campaign system so you can send coded links to the affiliates and its free.

Commission Junction is the largest affiliate network outside of Clickbank which is a different animal. Being a large corporation they have their drawback but the largest affiliates home there. Do pay attention to those that use software as a promotional method as many are underhanded especially their biggest ones.

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    90% of affiliate provide it and some of the larger use the internal email system to keep things organized. CJ has a pretty good affiliate profile system and offers good control of commissions, private links, etc.
    No offense taken. Where did you get the 90%? Can you send me a source for this?

Through some of our sister brands that use CJ more extensively (I should of prefaced, I use mainly in-house programs and don't have full knowledge of CJ's capabilities) they have found contacting and response rates from affiliates in CJ are less receptive than what I see in my in-house programs (when compared apples to apples). Granted this is not entirely the specific answer to the question, but should be thought of as I am assuming it's your end solution in all of this.
    Taylor H. Barr
    Arbiter of Affiliates (and Partnerships)
    [URL="mailto:taylor@asmallorange.com"]Taylor@asmallorange.com[/URL]

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    No offense taken. Where did you get the 90%? Can you send me a source for this?
    Over a decade of experience. Not surprised you get a better response from your in-house affiliates. I ran a $1MM a month in-house for years and had close relationships with my producers. I have the same with producers via networks but that's reputation more than anything else. Affiliate that are doing well are buried with daily emails so its hard to rise above the fold. That's why I use my branded email rather than affiliates@somemerchant.com.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread