Critics Needed
    Hi everyone,

I'm brand new to the affiliate marketing scene, but spent a few years working online doing freelance content writing and marketing mostly focused on video games.

I would like create a site that focuses on video game sales. While posting about the video game sales, I would like to include affiliate links to the products and sites hosting the sales.

I'm looking for any type of criticism or advice for this idea, but specifically I'd like to know:

Is it a bad idea to avoid an affiliate marketplace and create accounts with each major retailer (Target, Best Buy, Gamestop)?

Are video games worth being an affiliate for (money-wise)?

Does this site design sound beneficial (SEO, conversion, financial)?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Since video games are a $1B industry seems like a good target to go after. Do the merchants you list have direct programs or are they only on a network(s). You need to do the research which starts with creating an affiliate site so you can apply to the networks to see what is available.

Outsourced Program Manager Rick - Bitcom's Avatar
    I think the first question to ask yourself is "Do you really think you can help people solve a problem." Sounds to me like your background could be very helpful. You might already be an expert in the niche.

The next step is to brand yourself as an authority by creating great, helpful content. That should eventually attract search engines and traffic. You might also have to "meet people where they are now" in Social Media and niche forums and send them to your site.

Then it's a matter of moving people down the Sales Cycle to the great solutions that you've found for them.

Of course, the devil is in the details but that's the big picture. Think problems and solutions and you might just have a business.

Thanks for the advice. It's nice to have people, especially informed people, to run these sort of ideas by. None of my friends or family are interested or knowledgeable when it comes to the details of working online.

I have decided to go for it. I'll be sure to come back with more questions and updates along the way. Now I'm off to figure out the basics of building a website again. Any links to helpful threads or suggestions for hosting companies would be appreciated. I might attempt to branch into multiple websites down the line, so a hosting company that offers a decent plan supporting that would do nicely.

It's nice to have people, especially informed people, to run these sort of ideas by. None of my friends or family are interested or knowledgeable when it comes to the details of working online.
    If you don't have an interest its hard to convince the uninformed about online marketing let alone affiliate marketing. I have tried to interest my wife and kids about the opportunity to make money by promoting products they are interested in. Deadend!

Outsourced Program Manager Rick - Bitcom's Avatar
    It's funny what you say Chuck. My wife still doesn't understand what I do.

And even talking to other online marketers... they don't understand affiliate marketing. It is a pretty big subject.

When I think of how much I've learned over the last 8 years... and... well I feel like there's still a lot to learn. Quite the business really. But I love it!

7. Thanks From:

Hello again everyone,

Came across my first major obstacle rather early when my computer died on me before I'd even started. However, as you may have already noticed, I'm back!

While I was stuck offline, I realized that there may be a large flaw in my plan. The way I understand affiliate marketing is marketing another's goods through your own site and links, but I don't know whether the links are requested from the affiliate program or if there is just a specific ending that needs to be attached to all links to add the proper tracking. I've never actually worked as an affiliate before, so the back end is mostly theory to me.

My issue is this: if I'm trying to write an article about a sale that GameStop is running on a new video game, how do I use an affiliate link to that product? Do I need to speak to someone in the affiliate program at GameStop? Do I need to wait for the link to become available to affiliates? Finally, what if I want to link to a sale on multiple games? Would each game have to have an affiliate link to the product page?

Since time will be a factor here, this probably wouldn't work if I had to wait to add links to the articles after they were written.

Thanks for all of your input, and apologies if that wasn't very clear.

Did you find an affiliate program for Gamestop and join it?

I haven't joined any affiliate programs yet. That was just an example. Does the situation differ for each program?

Just popping for an update and some more advice if anyone is willing. I've had some time off of work recently, so I got my site up and running. I'm still working out the backend details, but it's just about ready to go frontend-wise. If you'd like to take a look, the address is topvideogamesales.com.

My question today is in regards to applying to affiliate programs. I was wondering what factors I should consider before applying. Is it important to have a large amount of site content and visitors? Does it matter how old my site is? Is there anything in particular that I should include on my site like a page or byline to improve my chances of being accepted?

Thanks again for all of the help!

Re: Your site, it looks like you're off to a start. Not too sure what the calendar is about tbh.

One of the best things you can do for conversions is have a call to action at the top of the page (and in my opinion, the middle and end of your content).

Your site as it displays in my browser right now, doesn't have any content above "the fold" (what is shown before scrolling down the page).

hth

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread