Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    fwdsnp.com
    I noticed that, whenever I type, say godaddy.com directly into my address bar, a secondary address is placed temporarily into my address bar that seems to hold an affiliate code. So, I typed "godaddy.com" and this replaced it briefly:

http: //proxy .fwdsnp . com/details.html?r=214&t=1248D1392999540A007772&b=1248&d=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.godaddy.com%2F

I could not find anything remiss on my computer, so I called my ISP, and am waiting for a formal answer. Informally, the techie confirmed that they have entered into some form of revenue generating partnership that provides affiliate links for dozens of merchants.

Still awaiting an answer, but this would seem like it is not adding value to the merchant, since I had already typed their specific address into the address bar, and I am assuming that that would negate any previously set cookie that had been set in a legitimate manner.

This company is apparently providing this service to multiple ISPs.

Am I looking at this incorrectly, making something out of nothing?

P.S., saw a blog on what I think is happening: I fought my ISPs bad behavior and won - Eric Helgeson

Also, the one I spoke to mentioned Amazon as one of the programs they get credit for. So, anytime anyone on my ISP types "amazon.com" into the address bar, fwdsnp.com is interjecting it's affiliate code onto the address bar and the two companies, fwdsnp.com and the ISP are sharing the commission.
    Last edited by Thomas A. Rice; February 21st, 2014 at 12:09 PM.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

3. Thanks From:

One more comment..... went to a different PC on my lan, and typed "godaddy.com" into the address bar, and this popped briefly into my address bar:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Thomas A. Rice; February 21st, 2014 at 02:18 PM.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Thomas there are ISPs that redirect misspellings through affiliate links. Yours sounds like they are trying to make additional revenue by working as a toolbar. Have you asked them if its possible to opt-out of this or maybe time to change ISPs.

This ISP covers central Indiana, is rather large. So I would like to take a shot at getting them to quit this behavior. I am waiting for a formal response as to what their program entails. One of the sneaky things they have started doing is popping an informational block when you click on a related merchant. So, I might have abestweb.com in my address bar, I replace it with godaddy.com, press enter, and my ISP pops up an ad with coupons or whatever for godaddy off to the right side of the screen. I am also seeing a commision junction affiliate id in my address bar when I reach godaddy.

The thing is, if ISPs around the world think this is okay, that this is the next marketing tool for them, it would seem to be going against standards that have been set for patterns of behavior.

Do you have any local consumer advocates via TV stations. Might be a good story for them how your local ISP is pimping ads for commissions without your knowledge.

8. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    The pop up may be cookie stuffing.

10. Thanks From:

Or BHO toolbars that spread to multiple computers. Would be interesting to see if its the ISP.

It's not a toolbar in the sense that I have anything loaded on my computer. The first half of the issue is listed on this page: Products & Services | Aspira Networks where it says "Deals and Tips". Basically, anytime I type "godaddy.com" into my address bar, the ISP interjects that command with the proxy.fwdsnp.com line listed above, which pops their godaddy deals up on top of the page. So I end up being on godaddy.com, but there is a coupon in between me and the page, which the ISP and the offending affiliate share.

In brick and mortar terms, I have parked my car in the godaddy parking lot, and I am walking into the store, when a big dude grabs me by the arm and forces me to enter via a side door. Once I make my purchase, the big dude charges godaddy for bringing a customer to them.

Now, there is a tiny link at the bottom of the tips page where I can 'opt out' but that doesn't stop them from squashing some other affiliate's cookie on the other million computers surfing via the ISP.

....and that's not even mentioning the fact that I am seeing an affiliate link instead of just godaddy.com in the address bar.

From aspiranetworks's page explaining to an ISP how their deals and tips works:

Custom Deal Tips | Coupons & sales at your fingertips

Network owners can choose to have a ‘Deal Tips’ window appear when a user navigates to one of our affiliated retailers. The window provides links to coupons and sales available at that specific retailer’s website. It’s a convenient way for users to shop and save money.
    Last edited by Thomas A. Rice; February 21st, 2014 at 09:07 PM.

So I end up being on godaddy.com, but there is a coupon in between me and the page, which the ISP and the offending affiliate share.
    Unless you have a parasite the ISP is the affiliate.

No, aspirenetworks is the affiliate, and they have a deal where anyone who happens to be on smithville.net's network cannot type in godaddy.com and travel directly to godaddy without them popping up a page in between me and my destination. Aspiranetwork then does a revenue share with smithville.

The point of a merchant having an affiliate program is to gain traffic that they do not already have. Godaddy had me. I typed "godaddy.com" into the address bar of my browser on my PC. Aspiranetworks and smithville.net added no value. They simply intercepted the traffic at the network level and forced themselves in between godaddy and a willing, committed customer.

aspiranetworks has 1200 affiliations. So, if I travel to any of those destinations with a direct type in on my browser, smithville.net can choose to force a page offering aspiranetworks commission generating links in between me and any of those 1,200 merchants.

The other half of this is that they set a cookie in the address bar without me typing or clicking anything.
    I clear my cookies.
    I type godaddy.com in my address bar
    smithville.net, at the network level forces a coupon page to pop in between me and godaddy, and they set a cj affiliate link in the address bar:
    http://www.godaddy.com/business/emai...ate.cj.3965551
    Last edited by Thomas A. Rice; February 21st, 2014 at 10:44 PM.

Well Smithville | Your Indiana Communications Company is not unconsciously allowing an affiliate to mitigate traffic at the DNS level without compensation. Bet GoDaddy would like to know about this!

16. Thanks From:

I was still waiting for a return call from smithville.net when I left work. I am going to point them here, and see if they can correct me. Perhaps they can explain what is happening in a manner that does not violate the most basic terms of service that most affiliate programs have.

It is possible.

I am wrong on a daily basis.

But not really seeing it here.

18. Thanks From:

Is this something that happens during the DNS lookup? Could you change your DNS to Google and avoid this?

Didn't Paxfire get kicked of of CJ for doing something similar?

smithville.net responded and said that they were reassured by aspiranetworks that their software ( which I assume has been loaded onto the ISP's servers ) does not overwrite a cookie if it already exists. Yet I am seeing a commission junction id appear in my address bar on 3 different computers, all of which has malware prevention software on them, after history has been cleared. Either they push the commissionable link on cookie free computers, I am completely misreading the situation, or aspiranetworks is suffering form one of those 'glitches' that always seem to occur in favor of the offender.

Even on top of that, there is the issue about the questionable value of popping a menu page on top of a merchant when the surfer has already typed that merchant into the address bar. From a merchant's perspective, I already have the customer, now I have to pay a commission on existing traffic, AND get a smaller profit off the sale if the surfer clicks through via the pop up page.
    Last edited by Thomas A. Rice; February 24th, 2014 at 11:13 AM.

See if you can find the CJ cookie that relates to the PID. It may be that they are putting the cookie on their server (1st party cookie).

SmithvilleTechSupport is reading this thread, so I guess we will hear from them soon.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Comcast does something similar - had to call them to stop them from doing so. They were also redirecting 404 pages, searches, and the like...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Quote Originally Posted by kse View Post
    SmithvilleTechSupport is reading this thread, so I guess we will hear from them soon.
    I have had a couple of nice discussions with them today. They are a good company, I just want to make sure they are viewing this installation from a merchant's perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas A. Rice View Post
    I have had a couple of nice discussions with them today. They are a good company, I just want to make sure they are viewing this installation from a merchant's perspective.
    If their stuffing cookies and stealing commissions they they are not nice people they are a thief. But what do I know, according to another thread today I am just a mean person that has a issue with people stealing commissions from merchants or other affiliates.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

If their stuffing cookies and stealing commissions they they are not nice people they are a thief. But what do I know, according to another thread today I am just a mean person that has a issue with people stealing commissions from merchants or other affiliates.
    I think they are not the issue so much as the affiliate marketer that is working with them. The staff at the ISP are new to affiliate marketing, decent honest guys.

aspirenetworks is the affiliate, and they have a deal where anyone who happens to be on smithville.net's network cannot type in godaddy.com and travel directly to godaddy without them popping up a page in between me and my destination. Aspiranetwork then does a revenue share with smithville.
    Ok, then they are not the affiliate but they allow aspirenetworks to steels commissions from merchants that their users visits and take a cut of the commissions that was stolen from the merchants. The way I see it they are just as bad or even worse then aspirenetworks.

KSE, instead of twisting the story around, why didn't you post a link to my thread and show everyone what really happened? Since you're so delusional and completely missed my point, I will reiterate it for you. My point to you was that if you have nothing valuable to contribute to an original post, then keep your comments to yourself. Your posts did not answer or address my question in anyway, and yet you continued to go on and on nagging about coupon sites. You must live a sad life because you sound very bitter.

Here is the original thread:
    http://www.abestweb.com/forums/midni...an-172843.html

Anyways, have a nice day. I won't mention about this ever again, but get your facts straight instead of trying to make yourself look like the "victim".

And one more thing, I apologize for jacking this thread with this post but it is annoying how someone who is labelled as an "ABW Ambassador" can go around derailing threads, posting whatever he feels like, berating others, etc. That just tarnishes the image of a well respected forum like ABestWeb. Thanks for your understanding.

I have noticed for the past few weeks these pop ups from Aspira Networks with the address proxy.fwdsnp.com. These pop ups occur whenever I click through to Kmart or Disney. I also read the article by Eric Helgeson. I use MCTV as my ISP, which has been very slow lately as well.

31. Thanks From:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast