Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Outsourced Program Manager John Jupp's Avatar
    How Old Is Too Old In This Industry?
    I have been mulling over things for a year or so now. I hit the big 5-0 on April 20. Yet I am in two minds about retirement.

I am making more money now because of my experience and knowledge than ever before, not enough to dispense with but I am living a comfortable life. I've never really been one who has been able to save a big pot of cash, mainly because here in the UK you are literally taxed from the cradle to the grave (and beyond).

However I am getting old.

When I attend an affiliate G2g (less and less now), I am the guy stood in the corner smoking a pipe, looking totally out of place amongst all the bright, young people in the industry, sort of a Grandfather figure, nodding benignly to those in the room.

Clients still seek my advice and management, I have work available for years to come at present but I am getting old. Keeping up with every advancement in technology and marketing form takes a lot of study and time updating my skill sets. All I want at times is to put on my slippers, put my feet up and doze off in an armchair.

So that's the nub, not enough cash to quit yet enjoying a good standard of living. Do I call it a day and let some bright young person take my place and resign myself to being the typical low budget retiree, or do I maintain my lifestyle at the expense of continuing to work?
    Flambi Media Limited - USA/UK/EU Affiliate Management Expertise

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    When you get tired of doing what you're doing...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Affiliate Network Rep Kim Salvino's Avatar
    One of the things I love most about the affiliate industry is that there is always something new to learn, a new advancement, a new method...not all are positive, but it's all part of the learning experience.

I wouldn't throw in the towel quite yet...I've been managing programs since 2005 and I am hoping I will continue to be involved in some aspect of program management for years to come, whether it be advising/consulting or managing the day-to-day myself. I think when you farm out the responsibilities to others, you lose that personal involvement and can become rusty. Here's hoping I am blessed enough to be doing this for years to come.

In your case, if you LOVE it, why stop? If you find yourself in a rut, brainstorm new site ideas or look to tweak an existing program, etc. The best part about AM is that there is always something to do...and that usually leads to reigniting the spark.
    Kim Salvino, Client Services Director, Performance Horizon Group
    Reach me at kim.salvino(at)performancehorizon.com or on (443) 617-4036

4. Thanks From:

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    Just become more selective about the work you do - only work with the clients or companies you love. Then it's not work! I know that sounds like a cliche, but I've learned it really isn't. And with age comes wisdom, something those youngsters don't have, and there is a difference between wisdom and knowledge. The smarter young'uns realize it and are drawn to it. Share some of that wisdom and you won't be alone in the corner for long!
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

50? heh.

You're still one of the young'uns. LOL
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Timely topic John, I ponder this a bit. I'm 46 BTW. So here's what I think, keeping in mind that I'm an affiliate, not an AM.

One of the keys to living a long and productive life is to keep your brain engaged. Running and promoting your business is a great way to keep your brain engaged. I've always got a puzzle that I'm pondering and that's great! I know people who have retired and not exercised their brain regularly and quite frankly, they have become senile and scatter brained to an alarming degree.

One of the great things about Affiliate marketing is the job flexibility. You can work when you want and take off when you want. I have found myself taking at least two hours a day to exercise, e.g. combat old age. This is really important because... Desk jobs will kill you! It is not natural for the body to stay in one position for eight hours. We need motion...

Being able to work part time and generate income is a great way to have financial security on top of your retirement savings. My personal goal would be to always have some sortof web/software/business income stream until I am well into my 70's. I would like to not depend on my savings until I really need it.

I think you have to always stay current. Read a lot, explore new ideas, try new things. We just keep evolving right? So maybe 10 years from now, we will be marketing via proximity sensors and Google Glasses or Neural Implants, or virtual reality, etc. When you stop evolving, learning, etc that's when you start to feel old.

Now, I must admit that my body has been in decline due to long hours in front of a computer for the last 25 years. I'm really having to work at keeping myself into a healthy state. Cardio exercise, weight exercise, endurance exercise, proper posture, wrist braces, multi-vitamins, dietary restrictions, automated reminders to get up and walk around, etc. Can't say that I'm really impressed with the "downward side" of life, but my plan is to work and fight to the end!
    Last edited by isellstuff; February 24th, 2014 at 09:19 PM.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Thanks, John. I never realized I was too old for this business, and maybe too old to be alive, until I read your post. Guess I'll just order a shawl from Amazon and sit by a window petting a cat until the end.

Bye everybody.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound View Post
    Thanks, John. I never realized I was too old for this business, and maybe too old to be alive, until I read your post. Guess I'll just order a shawl from Amazon and sit by a window petting a cat until the end.

Bye everybody.
    ROFL - I just spit my Crown all over my desk...

10. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I turned 52 in December and having too much fun to think about retiring for another 10 years. Maybe because I am living where I want to and got re-married at 42, picked up four step kids and enjoying life. I still work 60-70 hours a week mainly because I enjoy what I do and am not focused only on the money.

Its all about life balance, sit down and do a mind map on all the pros and cons, then work toward the pros.

12. Thanks From:

ROFL - I just spit my Crown all over my desk...
    Better get some Polygrip to hold that Crown in!!

14. Thanks From:

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    You can stand inside a building open to the public and smoke a pipe???? I'm moving to the U.K.

As for retirement: you're only as old as you feel. Retire when you no longer enjoy what you're doing and feel you don't need to be earning the income.
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

16. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound View Post
    ROTFLMAO!!! Oh crap, I'm already doing this.

Tell this guy he's too old

1 year ago to the day:
    "On Sunday, the 101-year-old Sikh finished his final competitive race in Hong Kong, putting an end to a sporting career that has raised thousands of dollars for charity and been an inspiration to many around the world."

"...he had no secret diet or training regimen. He attributed his success to a simple love of the sport.

"It's because of the happiness I get out of it. If something makes you happy, you'll do it well." (my emphasis)
    He began running at 89 and still runs for pleasure at 102.

And what about Joe Newman, that 101-year-old guy from Florida who's running for Congress?

John, you be needing some fun, for sure.
    Last edited by JoyUnltd; February 25th, 2014 at 01:51 AM. Reason: It's past my bedtime and I'm not sure what I'm typing.
    Renιe
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

18. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Cagles Mill View Post
    You can stand inside a building open to the public and smoke a pipe???? I'm moving to the U.K.

As for retirement: you're only as old as you feel. Retire when you no longer enjoy what you're doing and feel you don't need to be earning the income.
    I should have said, standing in the corner of the smoking shelter gazing towards the open double doors nodding benignly at everyone. At most UK G2g's just about everyone goes outside to compete with the noise level of the traffic, even when they don't smoke and I can vouch that affiliates are louder than a bus passing by, especially when the free drinks are being quaffed.

I suppose it is all about work life balance. As I get older and look on Linkedin at all the smiling faces of the next crop of people working in marketing or attend a G2g and see someone who looks fresh out of diapers espousing the latest marketing gizmo, it does make me wonder whether I am getting past it.

Then again I wake up this morning and find an email in my in tray from a potential new client, who has agreed with every word I have written about his company and wants to chat to me as soon as possible about setting up an affiliate program and doing most of his digital marketing, for some very natty designer Italian apparel.

So life goes on. Long may it continue.

Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jupp View Post
    So life goes on. Long may it continue.
    that's a very good plan!

21. Thanks From:

Hey Convergence were we setup?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Hey Convergence were we setup?
    Not by me. Should have said "Crown Royal" ...

At least I now know Chuck is older than me. The next question is whether he's using Just For Men on his beard to hide all the grey.

The next question is whether he's using Just For Men on his beard to hide all the grey.
    I have in the past but have been using Grey Defense instead which works everywhere!

26. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    I have in the past but have been using Grey Defense instead which works everywhere!
    Oprah says Brown Betty works best. Brown Betty - We Tried It So You Don't Have To - Oprah.com

You failed to include:
    We Tried It… So You Don't Have To:
    Brown Betty, Color for the Hair Down There

Ugh.

Figured it out - 117 is too old...

I must be getting old. I'd completely fail a NekNominate challenge. Just drank a pint of Bacardi and cola and I am at my limit. In days gone by I could down a lot more and still beat a breathalyzer, dance all night (no chance these days), party until dawn and be up raring the following morning for a long day's work.

Can still polish off a straight litre of Crown without batting an eye.

However, the following week is worthless, lol.

I'll be 50 this year...

Wife and I decided today that the bottle of wine a night has to go. Half the time it turns into two. We had tea tonight instead and went for a walk.

I am 52 and can still out hike my kids, ski 50 days a season and plan sot start running 5k races this Spring. JJ you're not going to make it to 60 the way you are talking. I can dance all night if I get the chance.

John Jup - you don't look old with you skull and crossbone thingy going on. I would have guessed early 40s Seriously though... the 40 and older crowd all gets mushed up together. The only way to tell us apart is that we're the ones that look everyone in the eye when we talk, instead of over everyone's shoulder...at that other person that could possibly be of more value. We don't need to jockey for position anymore or worry if our intentions are too transparent. We can enjoy standing on the side lines smoking a pipe. Quit when it gets to the point when standing, rather than napping, becomes the hard part.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast