If you were starting today...
    If you were starting today in affiliate marketing, what would you do?

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    I'd find something I really enjoy as the topic for my first site, because you'll spend a lot of time with it while learning the industry, so having a passion about it makes it much more enjoyable!
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I'm not an affiliate but an affiliate manager. I would say pick a subject and start making pages. See if you can get accepted by a few affiliate networks so you can start working with building links into your page content. You will learn a ton just getting started. When you have found your niche you will have a starting point.

4. Thanks From:

I would find a good converting offer in a niche that I am passionate about.

But how do I know how to pick the right subject. Wouldn't some be just a dead end and not make money?

And how do I find a good "converting" offer? How do I even know what a good offer is?

Hi, i am from engineering field and i plan to do affiliate marketing on industrial motor bearing. Will this be a good niche?

May i know is it necessary to have a niche that everybody familiar with?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yktan View Post
    Hi, i am from engineering field and i plan to do affiliate marketing on industrial motor bearing. Will this be a good niche?
    It might be good for adsense, but maybe not for affiliate marketing. You really need purchases that will go through on a credit card. So large motor bearing purchases will bypass the affiliate session (.e.g purchase order, phone call, etc) and small purchases (for repairs) will yield too small of commission at too small of a volume to make it interesting.

Unless.... You can work out a deal with the merchants such that you control the lead. Something like you gather contact information and pass it on to the merchants. That might work very well...

9. Thanks From:

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    One important thing is to see if there are merchants available that are appropriate for your topic.

If you already know the top merchants in your area of interest, see if they have an affiliate program. You can literally search merchant name + affiliate program, or look in the footers for their site to see if they have one. Then look at their sites as if you were the consumer - would you shop there?

Keyword search tools can help you identify the demand for a product. Look at long tail as well as the top words, as long tail can frequently lead to higher converting traffic (they are ready to buy and know exactly what they want).

Check out your competition from other affiliate sites in your target niche. Are they done well, or can you do it better? Can you add something to the consumer's shopping process so they'll choose to shop through you rather than someone else?
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

11. Thanks From:

I think it really depends on what your strengths are; ie: marketing, design, programming etc. But starting with creating a site or product about what your passionate about can only help!

Outsourced Program Manager Rick - Bitcom's Avatar
    I think the key starting out is to do some Market Research. You only make money in any business when you can solve problems with good solutions that you've found.

For whatever niche you decide to go into, be sure there are problems people are willing to spend money online to solve. I know many folks who have built a site around a hobby only to find out later there really is no online buying intention in the niche (or not enough). I made this mistake myself.

So how do you do that is probably the next question.

If you do some Google searches with various keywords and analyze what you see that will help you get started. The problem for a beginner is they may not understand what they see.

Take the golf niche for example. People buy golf clubs all the time so there is clearly buying intention.

But if you search for "golf clubs" what comes up are all the major manufacturers or major websites in the niche. You could never win Page 1 against them for that keyword. Google tends to show manufacturers because the "search intention" is in their favor.

But if you can find a "long tail" keyword you might be able to succeed. By "long tail" we mean a keyword that is much less competitive and one that a major website or online business might not bother with. Something like "golf rangefinder reviews"

Now you have less competition and a little better chance of getting on the first page and therefore some traffic. But to be honest even that phrase is pretty competitive.

So keep digging. This is where knowing the niche can help you find little gems that might be winnable. Now in golf there are things called "clone golf clubs". These clubs are custom made clubs that look and perform pretty much like the name brands. There's far fewer manufacturers of these clubs so the competition should be less. And the affiliate programs tend to pay a bit more than the major club affiliate programs. So this might be a market to go into.

Now this is only to demonstrate the thinking you should be doing during your Market Research. I'm certainly not recommending going into the clone golf club niche. It's just an example. To be honest I happen to know it's still very competitive.

But the point is... as a beginner you really need to find a micro-niche where the competition is less and there are still affiliate programs that pay well and want to help you succeed. It's not an easy process... kinda like trying to find a gold needle in a haystack, but it's still possible. But the upfront market research is the key IMHO.

Love to hear what the other experts around here have to say.

14. Thanks From:

Excellent write-up Rick. Not a golfer but thinking on long tail terms, what's the least used club? 6 iron, 4 wood? If there are 50 million golfers world-wide and 1 out of 1000 want to do better with that club is anyone marketing to it?

No results found for "industrial motor bearing" "affiliate program".

But I did see that Global Equipment Company has ab affiliate program.

Good thinking Chuck but golfers don't think quite that way. But they do think in terms of driver, fairway woods, irons, wedges, and putter. So breaking it down that way is the way to go "long tail." They would also think "golf accessories", "learning tools," and bags, shoes, and gloves.

That's why it really helps to understand the niche you're going into. A golfer would know in a second if you don't know what you are talking about. Same for many other niches.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks everyone. I think I'm starting to get it. Please keep the lessons coming.

20. Thanks From:

RE. the industrial bearing idea.

Personally I don't think it would work for affiliate marketing because of the way that companys buy.

They might find the product and supplier online via a web search but they don't purchase via a shopping cart. At least in my experience, they would normally contact the sales department of the chosen supplyer to ask for delivery time and a discount.

As I sell stuff said adwords could work. Its the sort of field were people are searching online for info specifications and dimensions based on either a part number (or part of), machine name/number or application.

Recently I was looking for info about something similar and was supprised by the number of content/adsense sites that came up in searches.

Ironically I skied the other day with a programmer/developer who just finished a $50k backend project for a bearing company. They wanted to enable all their dealer/distributors to be able to place purchase orders via their web site, check pricing and delivery status. Biggest difficulty of the project was the interfacing with accounting/financial systems.

Quote Originally Posted by wpenhance View Post
    I think it really depends on what your strengths are; ie: marketing, design, programming etc. But starting with creating a site or product about what your passionate about can only help!
    Hello I'm new in affiliate marketing plan planning to make a website about hotels search ,accommodations kind like kayak.com,but not sure.how do i know my topic has good chance of success?where can i find the ranking of topics who have most chance of success?

There are no guarantees and look up trends. I know a company that created in essence an affiliate model to make a better mouse trap than Expedia after being their affiliate. They have multiple staff on it and doing very well.

Hell guys and gals. Another newbie here. No questions at this point, but I am sure I will have some and will make sure to post them in the correct thread! I watched Chuck's video

Just wanted to say I have enjoyed reading through the forum, and I hope to be able to contribute some day!

26. Thanks From:

If I would be just starting out today or responding to someone new in Affiliate Marketing- I would ask them to spend some time reading more about the industry.
    I would also give them a heads-up on not buying products that claim to "make you money while you sleep"...
    Ignore sales pages and if planning on purchasing something to help.. make sure it is only website customizations only- ( example ) a professional WordPress theme.
    :groovy:Woodstock was before my time, and I am forever angry I missed that concert.

I think the best suggestion for someone starting out, is what I wish someone told me (I probably wouldn't have listened)...

It's going to be a marathon and not a sprint... don't expect to make a lot of money right away... it's probably not going to happen. Consider those first few years like getting your undergraduate degree. And of course, you're going to need those 3 P's... persistence, perseverance, and patience.

29. Thanks From:

If I was starting today from zero, I would try to find a program for a product or service in a domain that I understand well.

When you're learning to sell/market/promote it really helps if you have some insight and passion for what you are selling. You have to believe that purchasing what you are promoting is actually a very good choice for a buyer to make.

31. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread