New extensions - A good or bad thing?
    So we've seen the release of brand new domain name extensions like; .photography, .guru, .directory and more..

What I would like to know from you guys is would you purchase one of these new extensions? Is it a good thing? Will it de-value current existing extensions in the future?

I run a few web directories, locally as-well as international ones which are doing quite well but with the release of the new .directory extension some people have already registered my name with the new ext. Will this effect me in the future if they decide to build upon it?

Maybe I was just too slow in securing these!

It will only effect you if they provide better content and do better promotion than you do. You've got a headstart on them with an aged domain.

Good because it's easier to remember for users. but i'm not sure its effect on SEO

I think new extentions are good. It will be more specific with regards to the service you are offering.

The extensions will probably improve your conversion rates, since people will know what your website is pretty much about before they even click on it. It'll probably just be a minjor adjustment though

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I think a lot of domainers that just register domains for resale without serious filtering will lose money. There is just going to be too many hundreds of thousands of options out there for an end user to choose from.

I think that there will be two areas that benefit from the plethora of new domain extensions; domainers that pick up the top few domains in each extension, and developers that pick up extremely relevant keywords that enhance the extension itself.

I have picked up a few new domains that will make it easier for me to generate legitimate sites in specific niches, so I am happy with the new extensions coming out.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Now extensions are good to categorize a site or a business. But they will never be good as an investment compared to .COM domains.

.COM domains have been always preferred by the website owner, and are the first guess for website visitors. So a domain with .COM extension has better value than a domain with .NET even if both point to the same website.

Based on statistics found here: Domain Registries market share of .COM is 76.9764 % while .NET is 10.2878 %, do you see the gap? What about new extensions?

I believe new extensions can be a good investment only if the the domain keyword plus the extension form an action sentence or provide an interesting meaning.

That's only from my point of view.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I do think it will take a while for the 'new car smell' to wear off of the new gtlds. For example, up until a few months ago, I never thought I would be able to own a domain name that had the keyword 'LosAngeles' attached to an extension. It might be, a few years down the road, that there will be tens of thousands of gtlds, so LosAngeles dot anything will be commonplace, but for now I see that domain as an opportunity to develop a specific niche that is easy to understand and intuitive.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

9. Thanks From:

Yap it is good

I still don't think they will become very popular. Too many choices = too much dilution = confusion among the customer base.

So which should I get - BillSwartwout.Photography -or- BillSwartwoutPhotography.com? They are both a bit too long and my last name is a tough spelling to remember. So I'm also using USPictures.com - on cards, apparel, magnetic car signs, etc.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread