Thread: How to work with Clueless Merchants

Thumbs up How to work with Clueless Merchants
    ABW inspires some of my blog posts, I admit it. This morning I read CJ Email System and immediately wanted to help.

I wrote it as a blog post because I want others outside of ABW to read it as well. The full post is here: Clueless Merchants

The main points are to contact the merchant as much as possible to get their attention. Don't let them screw you. Educate them as much as possible. Introduce them to a good OPM. I even list some colleagues I trust.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

Just had a clueless merchant email me after reading this. Some like the help, others are too egotistical to get it.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.

I'm still getting comments and emails from merchants that are pissed because affiliates don't respond to them. I keep trying to tell them it's a two way street. The one they ignore will complain about them just as much.

Talk to your affiliate manager today. Talk to your affiliate today. And, call your parents while you are thinking about it.
    Greg Hoffman

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by akagorilla View Post

Talk to your affiliate manager today. Talk to your affiliate today. And, call your parents while you are thinking about it.
    Solid advice all around Greg... you should have added "Hug your kid"
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    If you've never received an email from a merchant... and all of a sudden they email a Coupon Code, or new product email...

If you receive the same email every week from a merchant, and just the sale name is different, and one day you get an email that says "The Next 25 affiliates to respond to this email gets something"...

Or if they say in an email in no uncertain terms that they're there to help...

These are golden opportunities for an affiliate to make his mark. CONTACT that merchant. Be short yet personable... and honest... and you may be surprised that someone you labeled as "Clueless" is now fighting in your corner!

Last month, a merchant left Linkshare for a Network I won't work with. TOPS... I send them one $15 order every other day. I told him I'd just swap out the links with someone similar, and he emailed me 4 times "wooing" me. Wanting to know why I don't like his chosen Network, etc. So he's in my corner, and I'm now in his.

Best,
    Billy

6. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    I've been amazed at how many times I've reached out with a personal email or connected with someone on social media to ask how we could help or offer ideas for how they could succeed and was told that I was the first affiliate manager that had done that with them.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

8. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateWarrior View Post
    I've been amazed at how many times I've reached out with a personal email or connected with someone on social media to ask how we could help or offer ideas for how they could succeed and was told that I was the first affiliate manager that had done that with them.
    That's my line.
    Greg Hoffman

10. Newsletter Signup