OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    World Wide Web Turned 25 March 12th
    Anyone catch that yesterday? In 1989 I had a PC but don't recall using email until a year or two later. My first email was via Pine/Unix. We used modems to access bulletin boards. When Windows 3.0 came out I used it for a few Office related programs but jumped back and forth. My first PPC was a 286 clone with a 50Mb hard drive. I used a 1MB ISA expansion board to boost the memory but it crashed a lot. Would play Harpoon and four hours then crash and have to start al over again.

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; March 13th, 2014 at 03:48 PM.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Nice my first experience networking remotely on a PC was in a student lab at Alfred University (where I was NOT majoring in computers) in 1990. I remember being thrilled to death to be interacting with another student from Germany... although I can't recall (that was a lot of brain cells ago) even the slightest details of how the system worked, the network, etc.

4. Thanks From:

This is good:
    In honor of the Internet’s 25th birthday (yesterday), we felt it appropriate to share a few early predictions about the Internet that were off…way off, and quite humorous.

First prediction: In 1995 Robert Metcalfe (the inventor of Ethernet) predicted that the Internet would collapse. Metcalfe thought rapid Internet adoption throughout 1995 would cause the Internet to collapse by 1996.

Reality: You’re reading this…online! Yes, we all know our service providers go down every once in a while, but the Internet is still going strong nearly 20 years later.

Second prediction: In 1995 Clifford Stoll claimed the Internet would never replace newspapers or books.

Reality: More and more news and books end up online every day. eReaders have put a dent in physical book sales, and the Internet has already caused the demise of some major newspapers.

Third prediction: In 1995, another prediction from Stoll, predicted that no one would buy anything over the web. Stoll doubted the Internet would ever have practical implications.

Reality: Well, you know how this turned out. As a digital marketing company, we prove this prediction wrong on a daily basis. Internet shopping has grown so tremendously that we not only have to think about eCommerce these days but also mCommerce!

What predictions about the Internet have you heard that have been proven wrong since its inception 25 years ago?

Ryker Morgan
    Jr Marketing & Communications Executive
    Rakuten MediaForge

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Here's another:

2013: HealthCare.gov...

Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

The Internet is a fad.

8. Thanks From:

Here's another infographic:

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread