More Merchant Closing Notices
    I can't believe how many big brand merchants I have received notice are closing their affiliate programs all of a sudden. Yankee Candle hadn't even had their program more than 6 months (at least not public). Netflix had bounced around networks but finally seemed stable. Then Pier 1 today. Plus Bath and Body Works told me this morning they were "streamlining" (so I got kicked out but they didn't close).

That's 4 major brands gone from my sites in just over a week.
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

2. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Great some MBA write a thesis on why you shouldn't affiliate?

Outsourced Program Manager John Jupp's Avatar
    I would drool at the chance of managing Netflix. An acquaintance of mine runs LoveFilm and I wind her up by threatening to run Netflix. Considering Netflix only has 33 million accounts, that's a drop in the ocean to what they could accomplish with some proper affiliate management.
    Flambi Media Limited - USA/UK/EU Affiliate Management Expertise

One fairly common denominator that I've noticed is that more often than not, when a program gets closed down, it's because they had hired an AM/OPM who is more interested in promoting themselves than their clients; they do the bare minimum amount of work necessary in order to generate a monthly billable. Or an AM who focuses on promoting subjects that appeal to their own personal interests without consideration for the interests of the buying public. After a while the merchant gets the idea that having an affiliate program is not a viable proposition for them, so they throw in the towel.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

ABW Ambassador
    Still don't understand the logic behind all these closing.

Basically you have thousands of sales force(affiliates) out there promoting your products/service for you. You only pay them until you see a sale. Is there any other better marketing channels than this? Merchants have to be pretty blind to not see the benefit of having an affiliate program. Yes, network fees, AM/OPM fees...but it is the cost to have a business, isn't it?

Affiliate Manager ParadigmWilliam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Great some MBA write a thesis on why you shouldn't affiliate?
    Yep, merchant probably read some BS paper somewhere and got the idea that affiliate marketing is bad. I will admit, there are bad affiliates out there however that is the job of an AM to filter those bad ones out. I properly run affiliate program can do wonders for a company.
    [URL="http://www.manageaffiliatelinks.com/"][COLOR="Red"][B]Manage Affiliate Links[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Redirect Dead, Expired, or Broken Links

[URL="http://www.wpcoupon.com/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]WP Coupon[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Turn Wordpress into a Coupon Site!

Having an affiliate program might not make economic sense if you have a powerful brand name, like Netflix, Pier 1, etc. They may get a better return on their investment using other forms of online advertising.

I could definitely see where an affiliate program would be much more beneficial to lesser known brands.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Clark View Post
    Having an affiliate program might not make economic sense if you have a powerful brand name, like Netflix, Pier 1, etc. They may get a better return on their investment using other forms of online advertising.
    Not really. Just ask Amazon, Walmart, Target...

10. Thanks From:

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Unfortunately some stores large and small get going on a network, fail to pay attention, then get soured and knee jerk pull the plug when they finally decide to pay attention and realize that 9 of 10 sales (on their auto pilot programs) come from dime-a-dozen deal sites, and who knows what other valueless affiliates.

I am not defending their actions and shame on anyone who does not pay attention to a marketing channel that in the end provides their most potent ROI, so long as it's managed correctly.

Networks could help by closing up the flood gates in terms of access for publishers. Submitting an online form that takes less than 5 minutes to complete should not be the only requirement for gaining access to a network.

Regardless of how well compliance for active publishers is handled, an open flood gate to enrollment does nothing to help improve or maintain the integrity of our industry.

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    I agree with you, Gary! Compliance is a huge responsibility and an ongoing requirement for a network, just as knowing your affiliates and how they drive traffic is vital.

Any company that removes Tricia obviously doesn't know their affiliates!
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

13. Thanks From:

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Yep, Compliance monitoring and the initial Qualification/acceptance is almost as important.

Quote Originally Posted by JCrooks - AffiliateWindow View Post
    I agree with you, Gary! Compliance is a huge responsibility and an ongoing requirement for a network, just as knowing your affiliates and how they drive traffic is vital.

Any company that removes Tricia obviously doesn't know their affiliates!
    You're too sweet.

I do have to wonder how much of it is just poor program management. There are so many things that a merchant could try to become more profitable before closing a program altogether.

I'm upset that I tried to talk to B&BW to see if there was anything that we could do and they didn't even respond to my email. I should send them a link to my blog post about treating small affiliates poorly. LOL
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

16. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by helpingmoms View Post
    I can't believe how many big brand merchants I have received notice are closing their affiliate programs all of a sudden. Yankee Candle hadn't even had their program more than 6 months (at least not public). Netflix had bounced around networks but finally seemed stable. Then Pier 1 today. Plus Bath and Body Works told me this morning they were "streamlining" (so I got kicked out but they didn't close).

That's 4 major brands gone from my sites in just over a week.
    I have seen many big brands come and go over the last 17 years as an affiliate. As one shuts down, another pops up... and I don't even know any of these brands so there we go....
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Last week at AM Days I spoke with an affiliate that purports to be the biggest price comparison site outside of commercial sites like Price Runner, etc. They have 17,000 merchants and always adding any new ones. Affiliate programs are on the rise as Internet sale are. If Tier One brands want to shutdown their programs there are many many more to choose from.

19. Thanks From:

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Last week at AM Days I spoke with an affiliate that purports to be the biggest price comparison site outside of commercial sites like Price Runner, etc. They have 17,000 merchants and always adding any new ones. Affiliate programs are on the rise as Internet sale are. If Tier One brands want to shutdown their programs there are many many more to choose from.
    Government over regulation, Obamacare, and increase in Min Wagwe will drive 20% of all Mom & Pop shops, and some large retailers, close brick & mortar shops to open internet outlets or list products at Amazon, Sears and Overstock. More internet sales growth coming as the Libtard POLs wage war on small businessmen bleeding them dry or making it impossible to run a retail business without 4 attornies
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread