So I bought I website I didn't mean to....
    Which was clearly very intelligent of me - copy and paste + in a rush = silly mistake. Luckily I only paid 5.00 for it, so it's not like I'm going to have to explain it to my bank manager ;-)

So - I now have a co.uk travel (Cyprus) website with a PR of 5 (not that PR is important apparently). I guess I could just let it expire, but I was wondering if I can make anything of it. Travel is so not my area of expertise, so if anyone has some suggestions other than building the site up, I'd love to hear it :-)

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    There are a lot of great travel programs out there, if you can get some focused copy, you could definitely make something out of it. And honestly, travel is a very fun topic!

One of our programs, Agoda.com, works very well in that part of the world. They work with about 300,000 hotels globally. PM me if you want to join them, as I do their approvals.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

3. Thanks From:

If the website has a legitimate PR of 5 and not just a quick black hat PR boost, then you have quite a deal and should be able to figure out a way to profit from it. Picking up a domain with that type of PR for so little is a bit strange. My first reaction is, "there must be something wrong with it".

You need to first take a look at the link profile to figure out why it has such a high PR. You then need to take a look at the web analytics and see what terms it gets traffic for. Then you can start to think about how to monetize it. If you are already getting traffic, then try to monetize the site through affiliate programs or adsense. If it isn't getting traffic but has some good inbound links, try the google disavow tool to get rid of any links that might be causing a penalty. You might be able to revive the traffic after about three months.

Other things to try... Create another tightly focused, related website and funnel page rank to it. Just thinking out loud, have a travel website, create a travel insurance website and link to it, giving it an automatic PR of 4.

If you think you are just going to let it elapse, then consider selling text links. You should be able to make a few $1,000 a year by that alone, although it will destroy the value of the domain.

5. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by JCrooks - AffiliateWindow View Post
    One of our programs, Agoda.com, works very well in that part of the world. They work with about 300,000 hotels globally. PM me if you want to join them, as I do their approvals.
    Thank you Jeanie, I appreciate the suggestion and once I make a decision, I'll PM you.

Funnily enough, I've been mulling over what I can do with the site during the day and did a bit of research during my lunch break and you're absolutely right, it could be a lot of fun to get into this area. A bit like looking for holiday, without paying any money
    Last edited by Angel64; March 18th, 2014 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by isellstuff View Post
    If the website has a legitimate PR of 5 and not just a quick black hat PR boost, then you have quite a deal and should be able to figure out a way to profit from it. Picking up a domain with that type of PR for so little is a bit strange. My first reaction is, "there must be something wrong with it".
    Yeah, I was a bit dubious. I think it possibly slipped under the radar because it appears it was a website that was just pointing to another (sister) website with a 302 direct? Passing the PR over to the sister site? I checked the PR on a couple of sites and looked at the links via SEOMajestic and it seems kosher.

You then need to take a look at the web analytics and see what terms it gets traffic for. Then you can start to think about how to monetize it. If you are already getting traffic, then try to monetize the site through affiliate programs or adsense. If it isn't getting traffic but has some good inbound links, try the google disavow tool to get rid of any links that might be causing a penalty. You might be able to revive the traffic after about three months.
    No traffic coming through just now, I only bought the domain at the weekend and haven't had a chance to a thing with it yet, but I'm itching to get started!

Other things to try... Create another tightly focused, related website and funnel page rank to it. Just thinking out loud, have a travel website, create a travel insurance website and link to it, giving it an automatic PR of 4.
    I like that idea a lot.... off to investigate what affiliate programs are out there, which are travel related.

If you think you are just going to let it elapse, then consider selling text links. You should be able to make a few $1,000 a year by that alone, although it will destroy the value of the domain.
    It's a good idea, but at the moment your other suggestions, and Jeannie's are probably a better fit for me.

Thank you - I really appreciate you taking the time to think about this and sharing your knowledge with me, very generous!

Quote Originally Posted by Angel64 View Post
    Yeah, I was a bit dubious. I think it possibly slipped under the radar because it appears it was a website that was just pointing to another (sister) website with a 302 direct? Passing the PR over to the sister site? I checked the PR on a couple of sites and looked at the links via SEOMajestic and it seems kosher.
    I've had some luck with this before, especially if it is a 302 and not a 301. If there are deep inbound links, then it helps to recreate those pages and funnel the PR around, or at least make sure you 301 those deep pages somewhere else.

There may be a sortof sandbox penalty for awhile. Seems like my last site (admittedly many years ago) was in the dog house for about 6-12 months after the registrar change and I started building pages and fixing redirects.

Outsourced Program Manager John Jupp's Avatar
    Affiliate Future UK has a significant number of travel merchants.
    Flambi Media Limited - USA/UK/EU Affiliate Management Expertise

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread