Why Wine Enthusiast stopped paying coupon sites a commission
    Just noticed this today. They did the analysis pre and post, can't argue with the decision, need affiliates to provide more if they expect to get paid:

Marketing Technology - Why Wine Enthusiast stopped paying coupon sites a commission - Internet Retailer

Lightbulb
    I wonder what typical time happens from the sale announcement until the sale disappears. Lost a wine refrigerator sale recently, would have been a $265 commission.

What a rip! That's so unfair! COUPON SITES CLOSE THE SALE!!! *Even though the customer was already on the checkout page trying to pay for their selected item*

[for those who don't know me, I'm just being facetious here ]
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

4. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ View Post
    I wonder what typical time happens from the sale announcement until the sale disappears. Lost a wine refrigerator sale recently, would have been a $265 commission.
    Not sure what you mean by sale announcement and sale disappearing. Can you provide more detail?

As far as the purchasing session is concerned, the article says 90 to 120 days. So if you were one of the affiliates that brought the customer to the site anytime before the customer popped out of the checkout box and hit a coupon site, a naive last click attribution rule would throw out your site's contribution. Last click attribution destroys the incentive for affiliate sites to bring in incremental customers since it's much more profitable to grab a coupon feed and play the SEO/SEM game with 'brand + coupon' terms. No point in hiring a writer to contribute quality content under these circumstances

90 to 120 days is a long purchasing cycle, not sure what the cookie duration was for their affiliate program, but retailers are not going to fix the problems with coupon sites by shortening the window because these are all last click affiliates. Setting the cookie expiration to 2 mins won't make much of a dent in the revenue of these parasites.

If they don't want to pay coupon sites they should not allow them in their program. Doing so is simply stealing.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Quote Originally Posted by chris7530 View Post
    Just noticed this today. They did the analysis pre and post, can't argue with the decision, need affiliates to provide more if they expect to get paid:

Marketing Technology - Why Wine Enthusiast stopped paying coupon sites a commission - Internet Retailer
    Do you think running a coupon site is easy? You need a reality check. What is easy is putting up an evergreen article, never touching it again and making commissions off of it. Or better yet - put up a product review on a product that you've never tested or even seen. Now that has value! (not)
    Last edited by leeann; March 20th, 2014 at 12:21 AM.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

8. Thanks From:

Coupon sites aren't worthy of commissions ??? yet the first thing that happens when you log into unEnthusiastwine is you get hit in the face with a massive coupon offer. What a bunch of hypocrites. And they get a domain w/ coupons tagged on the end.. but coupon sites are worthless? sheesh.........
    leeann

10. Thanks From:

The "article" reads like a press release for Convertro. (yawn)
    leeann

12. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by leeann View Post
    Do you think running a coupon site is easy? You need a reality check. What is easy is putting up an evergreen article, never touching it again and making commissions off of it. Or better yet - put up a product review on a product that you've never tested or even seen. Now that has value! (not)
    I can't tell if you are trolling me or not. But regardless, here's how easy it is: couponpress! Add a coupon feed from these folks coupilia and you're ready to go. Less than $200 to get started.

But, if you don't game the search engines and rank on the brand names of retailers it ain't going to work.

Why should a coupon site make money off a brand that has spend millions building their name and reputation...? I ask rhetorically looking in the direction of Google, Retailmenot, Coupons.com, Dealcatcher etc ;-)
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; March 20th, 2014 at 12:38 PM. Reason: removed links

14. Thanks From:
    kse

The "article" reads like a press release for Convertro. (yawn)
    Yes, it does.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

16. Thanks From:

If they don't want to pay coupon sites they should not allow them in their program.
    Exactly. And if a merchant feels that coupon sites have enough of a negative impact on their business that they feel a need to cut their commissions to a lower rate... why not consider the negative impact on the original referrers too? The "Lower commission" and "Split attribution" models are both an affront to honest affiliates, including coupon sites that may be the original referrer.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

18. Thanks From:

I received the official newsletter announcement today. "We do not accept any kind of coupon-based site for promoting our offers or products as an affiliate." Oh really? Then why am I an approved affiliate? My site - even by title - is an obvious coupon site. So what they are really saying is, we will let coupon sites in our program, we will distribute coupon codes, but we won't pay coupon sites that promote the coupon codes for the sales that they generate. But if an non-coupon site promotes the coupon codes.. I guess they'll pay them?

Needless to say - our association has ended. They either have an incredibly lazy affiliate manager who won't go through the affiliate websites to see if they are coupon sites or they are just stealing by letting anyone in their program then reversing sales. Which do you think it is?
    Last edited by leeann; March 25th, 2014 at 09:55 PM.
    leeann

Quote Originally Posted by chris7530 View Post
    I can't tell if you are trolling me or not. But regardless, here's how easy it is: couponpress! Add a coupon feed from these folks coupilia and you're ready to go. Less than $200 to get started.

But, if you don't game the search engines and rank on the brand names of retailers it ain't going to work.

Why should a coupon site make money off a brand that has spend millions building their name and reputation...? I ask rhetorically looking in the direction of Google, Retailmenot, Coupons.com, Dealcatcher etc ;-)
    "Why should a coupon site make money off a brand that has spend millions building their name and reputation...?"

Why shouldn't they if they are an approved affiliate?

And...just for the record.. I don't even know what trolling is, but it doesn't sound very nice.. so.. I don't think I am?? trolling you...unless responding to your post on a forum is trolling.
    leeann

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Needless to say - our association has ended. They either have an incredibly lazy affiliate manager who won't go through the affiliate websites to see if they are coupon sites or they are just stealing by letting anyone in their program then reversing sales. Which do you think it is?
    Could be a mature program with 5000 affiliates. At 1 minute an application would take 83.33 hours to screen all. Easier to send a blanket statement and reverse commissions on those sites that show as coupon sites after the fact. Not lazy, just time management. Plus unethical.

22. Thanks From:

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread