Smile How to keep better communication with affiliates?
    Hi all,

I've been running SammyDress affiliate program for nearly one year. One thing i overlooked is communication with our affiliates, which is actually essential to the success of an affiliate program.
    So i am wondering how to keep better communication with the affiliates and what we can provide them with basically.

Many thanks in advance for any ideas and suggestion here!
    Julia Woo

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    Some of the things which are perfect to share with affiliates include:

- Current sales or discounts
    - Promotions, such as free shipping, free gift with purchase
    - New products, product lines
    - Affiliate promotions, such as contests, special incentives, etc.
    - New creative available

Does that give you ideas?
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

Another idea is to use a service like Constant Contact (or any other cheap mailing service) and keep a mailing list of your active affiliates. Send out a biweekly or monthly newsletter that has all of your relevant creative and sales in it.

Quote Originally Posted by JCrooks - AffiliateWindow View Post
    Some of the things which are perfect to share with affiliates include:

- Current sales or discounts
    - Promotions, such as free shipping, free gift with purchase
    - New products, product lines
    - Affiliate promotions, such as contests, special incentives, etc.
    - New creative available

Does that give you ideas?
    Hi JCrooks,

Thanks for your insightful ideas!
    We shared most of what you said with our affiliates, but the problem is, there seems to be few feedback/response from the affiliates, so we don't know whether what we shared are what they wanted.
    And could you please share us more about the affiliate promotions? Like, what are the popular incentive activities?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DJH315 View Post
    Another idea is to use a service like Constant Contact (or any other cheap mailing service) and keep a mailing list of your active affiliates. Send out a biweekly or monthly newsletter that has all of your relevant creative and sales in it.
    Hi DJH315,

Great idea!
    Could you please share more about what we can share with the affiliates in the newsletters?
    We used to share them with our hot products, but we don't know whether they will use the products or not.

Thanks!

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Of course they will!

7. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by DJH315 View Post
    You cannot opt in your entire list into an outside email service. That's called spam. You have to talk to them one on one with personal messages.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

9. Thanks From:

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    As Jeannine pointed out, there are several things to share with affiliates. Trick is to try to include one of each.

If you just send "newest coupon" emails and I'm a product site, after awhile I'll just ignore your emails

As for not hearing back from affiliates, speaking for myself, I just take what I need from the email, post it to my site, then delete the email. No need to contact the merchant with "I just added your hot product. Here's the URL

Always TRIPLE check your emails before sending. If you sent one today with a coupon that said "Easter 2013 Sale", you'd come off scatter brained in my book

And if 20 minutes after you send an email I get a 2nd email with "Urgent - Correction to Previous email"... again, tells me you don't read your own stuff

Lastly, for most niches, we don't want daily emails. If you send me one every day, at most I'd look at ONE

Best,
    Billy Kay

11. Thanks From:

Outsourced Program Manager Rick - Bitcom's Avatar
    Ongoing Affiliate Management is a hard part of the management process. Most affiliates don't want to be bothered unless you have something important to say. And what you think is important is not always what they think is important.

That's why contests are a great way to get their attention. Make sure they have to optin to the contest in some way so that you can identify them. Be sure to track them in a database (you do have all your good affiliates in a database right).

As you probably already have learned, 90% of your affiliate business will come from 10% of your affiliates. You definitely want to know who that 10% is and build a relationship with them. If you can build a partnering relationship then you can grow that relationship. Of course it helps to be able to offer the best affiliates something special. To learn more about what I mean by "special" you probably want to continue this conversation in the Affiliate Managers forum.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Rick, you want to take a thread titled "How to keep better communication with affiliates?" into a secret location? Sorta' defeats the intent of the OP

Outsourced Program Manager Rick - Bitcom's Avatar
    Sorry Billy Kay you are right. I was getting off-thread anyways.

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by akagorilla View Post
    You cannot opt in your entire list into an outside email service. That's called spam. You have to talk to them one on one with personal messages.
    Hi akagorilla,

I agree with what you said. But then how can we contact our affiliates in your opinion?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay View Post
    As Jeannine pointed out, there are several things to share with affiliates. Trick is to try to include one of each.

If you just send "newest coupon" emails and I'm a product site, after awhile I'll just ignore your emails

As for not hearing back from affiliates, speaking for myself, I just take what I need from the email, post it to my site, then delete the email. No need to contact the merchant with "I just added your hot product. Here's the URL

Always TRIPLE check your emails before sending. If you sent one today with a coupon that said "Easter 2013 Sale", you'd come off scatter brained in my book

And if 20 minutes after you send an email I get a 2nd email with "Urgent - Correction to Previous email"... again, tells me you don't read your own stuff

Lastly, for most niches, we don't want daily emails. If you send me one every day, at most I'd look at ONE

Best,
    Billy Kay
    Billy, very convincing points, thanks!
    I will keep what you said in mind and try more personalized communications with our affiliates.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick - Bitcom View Post
    Ongoing Affiliate Management is a hard part of the management process. Most affiliates don't want to be bothered unless you have something important to say. And what you think is important is not always what they think is important.

That's why contests are a great way to get their attention. Make sure they have to optin to the contest in some way so that you can identify them. Be sure to track them in a database (you do have all your good affiliates in a database right).

As you probably already have learned, 90% of your affiliate business will come from 10% of your affiliates. You definitely want to know who that 10% is and build a relationship with them. If you can build a partnering relationship then you can grow that relationship. Of course it helps to be able to offer the best affiliates something special. To learn more about what I mean by "special" you probably want to continue this conversation in the Affiliate Managers forum.
    Hi Rick,

Thanks!
    Yes we'd like to learn more about something "special" from you if you don't mind

Here is one problem, yes, 90% of our affiliate business come from 10% affiliates, and most of these affiliates are teams. But they don't seem to pay much attention to communicating with us, the reason for which i have no idea.

Sorry for the late reply to all your insightful ideas. I was on a leave for the last two weeks. Hope you can understand

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread