Is it possible to be an affiliate marketer without having any website
    Is it possible to be an affiliate marketer without owning a website? I heard some program allow you to be an affiliate marketer without having any website. Please help. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by santyk6 View Post
    Is it possible to be an affiliate marketer without owning a website? I heard some program allow you to be an affiliate marketer without having any website. Please help. Thanks in advance.
    Is it possible, yes. Will you be accepted in most managed programs, no.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

3. Thanks From:

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    It isn't hard to make a website, in fact, you can make one in less that 5 minutes.

At the very least, just make one up detailing your promotional tactics, what you do (meaning if you are PPC, email, social, whatever).

There is not point to NOT having one, even if you do not use it to promote Merchants.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Is it possible, yes. Will you be accepted in most managed programs, no.
    Definitely a dead end with any of my programs.

Quote Originally Posted by santyk6 View Post
    Is it possible to be an affiliate marketer without owning a website?
    Page 19 of Quick Start Guide to Affiliate Marketing answers your question:

Can I be an affiliate without a website?

While most affiliate programs will require a website (for approval), technically, one may be an affiliate without a site. For example, you could (a) run paid search campaigns linking your ads through affiliate links directly to merchants’ websites, or (b) employ email marketing, or (c) work via the above-mentioned pay-per-call model which works even offline. However, it is always a good idea to still have a website where you will explain/list the marketing methods that you use (many merchants will not even consider your application if you do not have a site); and always double-check with each individual affiliate program if your "websiteless" methods are okay with the merchant. Do it before applying into an affiliate program. It is always better to have clarity on things like these before your commissions are reversed (because your methods turned out to be incompatible with the merchant’s strategy for its affiliate program).
    Brian, however, has an important point to take heed of:

Quote Originally Posted by Brian - ShareASale View Post
    It isn't hard to make a website... At the very least, just make one up detailing your promotional tactics, what you do (meaning if you are PPC, email, social, whatever).
    As Chuck and Greg have mentioned, it will be hard to get approved into most managed affiliate programs without a website.

Geno

7. Thanks From:

bakibal
    You know you can get a domain name from go daddy for .99 cents and hosting for 1 cent first month on host gator, or you can host html sites free on Google. Get yourself a free html template, a domain from godaddy and host on Google and you can literally have a website for 99 cents, 1.17 after fees , I made my 1st site like this

I believe, you can join an affiliate program without having a website. You can use your own social media accounts like tumblr, instagram or pinterest.

Yes you can. You can start promoting affiliate products by doing PPC. Most if the affiliate network also accept you for promoting their product via PPC.

Chuck, Greg, I've never really understood why OPMs are so set against people without their own domains. I guess you have no way of knowing how they're going to promote you, so I can see that it may be necessary to blanket reject such applications.

It seems to me that I can just as effectively promote a merchant with a free blogspot blog as with my own hosted domain. Probably even better, because with my own domains I'm always tempted (and usually do) to throw up the whole datafeed, with the standard descriptions etc. This is very hit and miss, maybe one site in four makes money for a few months before dying off, and the rest never really do much at all.

With a blogspot blog I will write a few original articles, recommend a merchant (or merchants), maybe a product review, text links and/or banners - which is probably a better approach than the datafeed route.

The problem is the age-old problem - getting traffic. But that applies also to your own hosted domains.

With blogspot it's much easier to find a niche-related subdomain. And, above all, it's free. A newbie can experiment without it costing anything. Sure you can pick up domain names very cheaply (but you may be in for a surprise when they renew a year later at full price - could be a problem if you've bought lots of them.) And reliable hosting is very affordable. But, there is a learning curve in all this for newbies. I think they would be much better off going to blogspot and just experimenting, finding out what works, without it costing them anything, then they can expand and get their own hosting etc. if they want to.

I like Brian's suggestion, by the way.

12. Thanks From:

I need to know how affiliates are promoting my merchants. I see way too many applications in SAS and CJ where the domain is irrelevant. The profile needs to be filled out, like Brian said.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

14. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    The PPC affiliate I work with I know either through reputation or they introduced themselves. We talk often and communicate a lot. Some unknow with no website that applies is a wild card. The majority of affiliate programs estimated as I last heard at 17k have no management and lack trademark policies. There are 100's of affiliates who trademark bid on PPC and direct link without permission and are unseen. They make good money for themselves and cannibalize the merchant.

16. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager Government Auctions AM's Avatar
    If you're an affiliate without a website, you better have a great explanation of how you're going to promote my company's products. Provide links to your Twitter account, Facebook page, describe your email subscriber list, etc. We get too many applications on CJ with no website, and no explanation of promotional methods. If you want to get approved, you have to at least put in that small amount of effort.
    Steven Shnayder
    [B][URL="http://www.governmentauctions.org"]GovernmentAuctions.org®[/URL][/B]
    Join us on [URL="https://signup.cj.com/member/brandedPublisherSignUp.do?air_refmerchantid=2932365"]CJ[/URL] [URL="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=10834"]SAS[/URL] [URL="http://www.governmentauctions.org/home/partners.asp"]ClickBank[/URL] [URL="http://twitter.com/GAORGAFFILIATES"]@GAorgAffiliates[/URL]

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Just curious how networks approve affiliates without a website.

How do they run their "compliance" bots?
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

I made about 11k with no website and now that I have 7 domains - I cannot make any money :P
    Jumping back into affiliate marketing again and I really will be doing this with less motivation, but better tools and resources ( and experience )

Hoping motivation kicks in sooner though...
    There is a big badder search engine out there called Google... no me gusta
    :groovy:Woodstock was before my time, and I am forever angry I missed that concert.

You normally need a website to get approved by the major networks and many merchants.
    Do you need it to promote offers - not at all! (Although your affiliate manager will want to know how you're getting traffic).

However, your own landing page will improve the quality of leads you send to an offer...

haha, of course you can. You don't need a website and you can promote it on your website, blog, social media or any online location.

haha indeed.
    You don't need a website and you can promote it on your website
    Please explain, zoe.

whats i mean is that you can add the affiliate URLs on your own Social platform like your facebook, twitter, blog and so on and You are paid commission on any order the customer click your link.

24. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager
    I have a lot of affiliates who do not have formal websites, but they are affiliates that I have spoken to and know their business and how they're promoting us and to whom. Our program allows for "Word of Mouth" referrals, so they don't have to have a link-click to make commission.

That said, if I get an application with no website and no contact information at all, I will usually decline them. Word of mouth referrals can only work in a mutual partnership; if the affiliate is anonymous and has no website, the partnership is not there and I won't accept the application.

This is a very common question and is asked by serious IMs that want to find innovative ways to earn money. Yes, you can do affiliate marketing even without a website but it is always better to have a website in order to reach potential visitors across the globe. Of course PPC and email marketing need no websites to possess!

As an affiliate manager, I would most likely decline any affiliate without a working website. If you are planning on taking affiliate marketing seriously as a business, take 20 minutes and build out at least a business website explaining what you do and what methods you use for promotion. At least then you have a fighting chance for those affiliate managers who you won't be talking to personally. Legitimacy is the key if you want any client to pay you for your work - even through affiliate marketing.

Beth

28. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread