ABW Ambassador
    Being a newcomer here I have just discovered and implemented the &afsrc=1 appendment to the end of all my CJ links on a particular site.

I am suffering from low conversions and am hoping that this may affect my conversion ratio in some way.

Can anyone tell me if this is working for them and/or whether they are seeing a significant increase in sales?

I understand that this switch instructs the cj server to assign the commission for a sale to the first PID associated with a particular customer visiting a merchants site.

Also does anyone know whether cj removed this switch during their last update?

Please let me know of any other methods that are working for you also.

Rgds, Dirk Gardner

Dirk,

The afsrc=1 code is not for the networks (eg CJ) it is for the parasites. They see the tag and instruct their programs not to auto-redirect.

Note: This coding must be appended to all links, static and dynamic, however it does not "always" work.

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

Dirk

You should not have to use this appendage if sending clicks via the main affiliate networks. The parasites are supposed to spot those and steer clear. In my experience they do.

afsrc=1 should be used on any and all links that are going to end up at a merchant without going first through CJ, Linkshare, BeFree etc.

Example 1. If you use a click tracker (your own or 3rd party) where your visitor clicks through to a tracking script and then on to the merchant. Add afsrc=1 to the links on your site.

Example 2. A merchant has 2 affiliate programs - 1 is in a major network, the other not (minor network or private program). Add afsrc=1 to the minor/private program links to prevent parasites redirecting traffic via their major network affiliate links.

I have enjoyed seeing this work in practice

I also posted a generic perl script in this thread:

http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?q=Y&a=...7966090902&p=1

... which will display outgoing links in a frame (which also blocks parasites).

I believe there are a reasonable set of protections available to us now (frames, afsrc, major network links, the list) - unfortunately they all rely upon the co-operation/compliance of the "parasites" who have shown in the past that they change their minds from time to time. Stay vigilant.

Are you Crazy?

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks guys for clearing that up.

One last question.

Do I need to delete the appendage that I have placed on the cj links or will it not adversely affect tracking?

Rgds, Dirk Gardner

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Dirk,

It *shouldn't* affect your tracking to have the code appended. You might want to test the links however with some different system configurations (OS, browser versions). When I did some very limited testing of different types of links appended with the code, I experienced some difficulties with my browser being able to load the page on the first click through. Seemed to work if I refreshed or closed the window and clicked through the second time. Again, this was very limited testing and was done only on my operating system. I'm not certain at all what the problem may have been, although I was not seeing any other connectivity problems at the time.

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

Well in theory, any well-designed program should ignore a parameter it isn't expecting. Which means it should be safe to leave it there.

... but I just hit an example checking my stats at GoCollect (the private/CJ example above) thinking that adding afsrc=1 to my bookmark would stop ebates popping up. But it choked their report .asp program.

So, generally I guess the answer is "check first" - though I'd expect it simply to be redundant on CJ, LS, BF links. Maybe remove it when you next edit anyway?

Are you Crazy?

ABW Ambassador
    Cheers guys,

Too much uncertainty for my liking so out the window it goes.

Rgds, Dirk Gardner

ABW Ambassador
    shoot I'll leave it in for 24 hours and see if its still tracking sales lol. At least we'll have an answer.

Rgds, Dirk Gardner

Crazyguy's advice is good.

While I can't speak for CJ, additional parameters don't bother Be Free's servers.

However, an important consideration is that we pass on to the clickthrough any parameters that we don't expect. If CJ does the same, any given merchant may or may not be tolerant of an unknown parameter.

--
    Scott Jangro
    sjangro@befree.com

I use CJ and linkshare banners as defaults to my Burstmedia and Fastclick accounts. If I understand correctly, then I would need to add the code to my clickthrough URLs since they are processed by external adserving software?

The key thing is to look at the URL your visitors will click on. What appears in the status line when the mouse hovers over the link. What shows up in the source code for the page.

If that is a CJ or Linkshare link - it should be identified as such automatically by the predators.

If it's something else - add &afsrc=1

I don't know your setup exactly, but banner rotation scripts would be a good example of using &afsrc=1. Typically the CJ or Linkshare link is held in the banner management software, the link on the page is something like /cgi-bin/banners/ads.cgi?id=351

... that goes and finds the link filed under 351 and redirects to it. It's vulnerable.

So if you can, you should change that to /cgi-bin/banners/ads.cgi?id=351&afsrc=1

The problem I foresee is that those links are normally generated by the banner management software, so you probably need access to the script to have it add the &afsrc=1.

Are you Crazy?

ABW Ambassador
    No tracking problems caused by the appendment with my merchants so im going to leave it inplace even though it is not required.

Hey sales are up! I know, I know. Its a coincidence and sales are just a result of the last google party but I'm going to leave them intact anyways.

Rgds, Dirk Gardner

So, if I'm using a tracking script, I only need to tack the afsrc paramater onto the url to my script and the script does'nt need to pass it along to the affiliate url?

correct. it's not appended to the affiliate url.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Does Google look for the afsrc= so it can quickly ID affiliate links, and downgrade PR ??? :^)

Jimmy James Inc. fan club membership # 3312

Don't know that google is aware of the afsrc parameter and what it is related to. Shoot most affiliates haven't gotten the word yet.

Well, shucks! Now I'm confused. I'm just reading about "&afsrc=1" and how to use it and am not clear on where it needs to be added. Some things said in this forum topic seem to contradict the article I found here:

http://www.affiliatemanager.net/tip15.shtml

I use an ad manager/tracking script in which I have CJ links as well as other affiliate program links that aren't part of an ad network. The status line when the mouse hovers over a CJ banner shows the CJ URL link, such as:

http://www.qksrv.net/click-xxxxxx-xxxxxxx

When hovering over a banner that isn't from an ad network, the status bar shows the link used by the ad manager script, such as:

/cgi-bin/ads/serve.cgi?id=123

I also use SSI to insert the banners using the ad manager so that CJ link are rotated with non-CJ links. The code used in the virtual include is something like:

/ads/serve.cgi?area=123&dim=468x60

The article mentioned above says that, "All you will have to do is add &afscrc=1 to the end of your affiliate links from Be Free, CJ, LinkShare, or Performics." But, CrazyGuys said just the opposite -- that only those ads outside of an ad network need the appendage.

So, where do I add "&afsrc=1"???

1. To ad network links or non-ad network links?

i.e. http://www.qksrv.net/click-xxxxxx-xxxxxxx&afsrc=1

or

/cgi-bin/ads/serve.cgi?id=123&afsrc=1

2. To the affiliate URL entered into the ad manager program?

i.e. http://www.an_affiliate_program.com/...id=123&afsrc=1

3. To the virtual include code used in the html of the webpage?

i.e.
    /ads/serve.cgi?area=123&dim=468x60&afsrc=1

4. Or what?

Thanks for any and all help!

That article on affiliatemanager.net doesn't have it right. (You listening Shawn?)

Since that's a plain old CJ affiliate link, there's no need to append the afsrc parameter to it. The shopping plugins that are looking won't act on the CJ (or other major network link).

If you have an affiliate link from another program, like an independent, you can append the code to that.

Or, if your CLICK urls redirect through your site first before going to the actual affiliate link, you should append the code to that link.

The general concept is that the code identifies a link that doesn't appear to be a network affiliate link as an affiliate link, hands off.

See my post here where I say the same thing, but with 5 times more words.

http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...433#6016022433

--scott

--
    scott@befree.com

OK, so just to be absolutely clear, it sounds like I can either add the &afsrc=1 to the click URL if its a non-ad network link and is not served by an ad manager, such as:

i.e. http://www.an_affiliate_program.com/...id=123&afsrc=1

or, add it to the virtual include code if the ad is served by the ad manager, such as:

/ads/serve.cgi?area=123&dim=468x60&afsrc=1

Right? Or, is adding it to the click URL sufficient if its served by an ad manager?

I don't see any benefit to adding it to the include URL.

The only urls that need the parameter are non-network links that are actualy an affiliate link or redirect to an affiliate link.

--
    scott@befree.com

Does anyone know if Click Bank links need the &afsrc=1 ?

I would assume so but you could find out by seeing if they have signed the COC.

The only networks the afscrc=1 is applicable to are the networks who signed the COC: CJ, BF, and Performics. LS does not endorse the code. I think the maybe some programs that use Kowabunga may have done some adaptations (or they were supposed to..ie TD) to accept the afscrc=1 for kowbunga links. I'm not certain if this actually happened and/or if it's across the board with them or just specific programs.

The most prudent thing would be to contact any other program and make sure the addition would not mess up their tracking in anyway before adding it.

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

ABW Ambassador
    What - No industry standard for protecting all of these innocent consumers who think they are donating funds via their purchases to their childs college education.

This is more than a real shame! There should be only one indistry standard - no cheating by way of diverting users or overwriting cookies via software applications (downloadable or readily installed). I've said it before and I'll repeat myself.....

Downloadable aplications that divert earned monies from someones elses pocket into their own and that watch consumers movements while online and "can" capture sensitive financial information have no business in a finacial based transaction arena.

This seems equivilent to the government giving criminals who have been thrown in jail due to commiting online fraud and hacking a computer and a direct link to every major finacial exchange in the world....... Whats this called? Oh yea, due diligence as a trusted third party!

===============================
    PeePee merchants with PooPoo policies allow our earnings to be flushed down the crapper.

Why give parasites unlimited cookie durations and credit for sales where they divert our users and overwrite our cookies. PP merchants directly support what many consider unfair trade practices and thievery!
    ===============================

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Poon ..you and I certainly agree on the boundries of fair play. Do they even teach "ethics" classes in college anymore?

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread