Grow your social media page with captioned headers
    (1st in a series* of social media tips to help support your affiliate marketing efforts.)

Captioned headers, “Cover” pictures on Facebook, can help you grow your page by increasing engagement…

You do have a Facebook PAGE for your business, don’t you? Not your personal (wall) page being used for business – a distinct Page for business is something every business should have. It is free and it can send potential customers to your website.

The header image is a visitor’s first impression so you need to make it count. Take a look at the two images below. Which is more thought-provoking and more likely to make one actually look farther down your page.

A while back, as a break from the nasty winter weather in the Mid-Atlantic, we tried the first photograph on on our main beach Facebook Page and got a few dozen Likes and a few Shares. Then we replaced it with another attractive cover image. Last weekend we put up the 2nd image, the one with the caption. It received 435 Likes, was Shared 135 times and (according to Facebook) was seen by 4,874 people in one weekend – from Saturday morning to Monday afternoon, less than 60 hours. Not bad – for FREE ADVERTISING!

The internet is a visual medium. I’m sure you’ve heard that said or read it – likely many times. But adding a few words can enhance the photograph or image quite a bit – it really can. It draws the viewer in and makes them think about the picture and how it may relate to them. In this specific example it certainly helped convey the message that the beach is where you belong. And while you are there looking at pictures on our website – go ahead and book your hotel room. Ka-ching$.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

2. Thanks From:
    kse

Do you think this could work for you?

Why - or why not?

Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..

Hi Bill! Thanks for the insight! I will try this and see if it works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesBiz02 View Post
    Hi Bill! Thanks for the insight! I will try this and see if it works for me.
    You're welcome. Here's another one - running this weekend on two different FB Pages - and getting a lot of Likes and Shares (without having to "ask*" for them).

* Facebook now demotes posts that blatantly ask for Likes and/or Shares.

Affiliate Manager
    Powerful suggestion. After just attending a conference centering around educational technology, one of the tips that really sunk in was how using captions with images can be extremely effective. Specifically 6 words or less to tell a story. You can really get creative with these! One speaker noted he had left out his iPad one evening and his 3 year old daughter woke him up the next morning with all their photos from a recent trip to Disneyland were captioned and made into a slideshow for him to see. Bill, are you using a free app to caption those images? Any advice on images to use...i.e. copyright and fair use tips for users?

Thank you, Boost. In a "former life" I had the opportunity to be involved with educational technology in its infancy. My daughter (and business partner) also has a Masters Degree in Instructional Technology. So we've got a ton of ideas that have proven beneficial.

No app for adding the text - I do that in Photoshop Elements as a text layer (that can be added to any digital image). No problem with copyright if images are purchased with proper licensing - or - they are your own. Fortunately I am also a photographer. I do photography for website illustration (the examples I posted here) and to sell as art (see USPictures dot com for a few examples).

Affiliate Manager
    Great pics! Thanks for the share, Bill. And, sharing ideas about how to use images effectively and fairly. I had thought about your post several times since seeing it and can think of several ways to employ your suggestion right away. And, Photoshop with original images is probably going to be the way to go for me. I too, work with photography and videography in this New Mediated 2.0 World.

Quote Originally Posted by Joozed View Post
    Hi Bill,

Do you think adding a clickable link on top of the picture would help any or be effective. It would be cool if the cover pictures also had a clickable link. What program do you use to manipulate and edit pictures. I was playing around with PicMonkey the other day and it was pretty sweet. Maybe a collage cover would provide even more of an impact?
    This is for our Facebook pages - so no clickable links. But, yes, a collage can be an attention-getter. It can also be captioned. Crabcakes are a "hot topic" here at the beach because there are about a 100 places that serve them. Ive got a cool collage - of crabcakes - that has attracted so much attention we may refine it a bit and publish it as a poster for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by BoostAffiliates View Post
    Great pics! Thanks for the share, Bill. And, sharing ideas about how to use images effectively and fairly. I had thought about your post several times since seeing it and can think of several ways to employ your suggestion right away. And, Photoshop with original images is probably going to be the way to go for me. I too, work with photography and videography in this New Mediated 2.0 World.
    You're welcome, Boost. Whether we do a printed tutorial or a live presentation we always try to provide a "takeaway" (or two), such as that example. There are many such items that can be shared. I'm glad you found that one useful - because it really does work.

Here's a quickie: if you are using social media - occasionally toss in something a bit "off the wall" just as an attention-getter. Here's an example of one I stumbled across today - a BACON CUPCAKE - bought one...brought it home...photographed it...posted it - and it's gotten several "Likes" and a few "Shares" in just a couple of hours, on two different pages.

I saw one on a recruiter's FB page. I'm pretty sure it was taken from a greeting card, but it had a ton of likes. It was a cow, standing in a field, with the caption - Are you out-standing in your field?
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Affiliate Manager
    You did it again, Bill. How am I ever going to get that cupcake with the fancy slice of bacon out of my head. I can practically taste it!

Way Effective:-)
    Erin Walsh,
    Director of PR, [URL="http://bit.ly/1oapxzB"]Boost Affiliates[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by BoostAffiliates View Post
    You did it again, Bill. How am I ever going to get that cupcake with the fancy slice of bacon out of my head. I can practically taste it!

Way Effective:-)
    Yup it worked. But it worked better than it tasted. The maple flavored icing made the cupcake taste a bit like pancakes with syrup but the candied bacon (real bacon that had been infused with sugar) was disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by leeann View Post
    I saw one on a recruiter's FB page. I'm pretty sure it was taken from a greeting card, but it had a ton of likes. It was a cow, standing in a field, with the caption - Are you out-standing in your field?
    I've seen different versions of that saying. I often say that, or something similar, when we drive through farm country.
    But, even that works.
    Sooo... here's another example - take any saying a put it on a simple graphic which provides more "punch" that the normal text that Facebook provides devoid of style. Example...

Also makes it easier for people to recognize that it can be "Shared" - which helps boost exposure.

15. Thanks From:

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread