Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Windows 8/8.1
    I need to preface things by saying "I hate change" and Windows 8/8.1 is not like the Windows before - some learning curve.

That being said, I'm going to be picking up a couple new computers, and:

Who here is using Windows 8/8.1?
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

I just upgraded to Windows ME... just kidding, I'm still all W7. I've heard mixed reviews on 8/8.1

3. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I wait at least two years for the flame wars to end then upgrade. Then again I am driving a '93 Wrangler my wife calls the Heep!

I bought a Win8 Laptop which is still in the box because I have a DSL connection that only connects to one computer at a time.

I like to buy online through HP.
    I recently had a computer discussion with Facebook Friends.
    Someone said Dell (online) Lenovo HP and Asus are preferable brands.
    6GB ram, a minimum 500 gig Hard Disk many are bigger -- As big as you can afford. One of my G+ friends said that 8 GB of RAM is preferable.

If you want a Windows 7-styled start menu enhanced for Windows 8 there is something called stardock (dot)com/products/start8/ but I bet there are books about how to become comfortable with Win8/8.1

Good luck in making your choice
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

6. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    Just get comfortable with Win7 not long ago, now here comes Windows8? Holy cow!

Cool
    Can't report anything yet, I'm hoping to upgrade hardware and OS on my spare machine I run sitemaps on. I'm told to expect 8 and 3rd party start menu. More interested in the motherboard upgrade. Won't have any control over what will go in but I periodically get fairly modern ones from a family member. Operating with a two-core processor now, not too shabby.

9. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Rhia7 talk to your DSL provider about setting up DHCP so you can use more than one device. Are you plugging into the DSL router and only have one port? Then its inexpensive to get a wireless router and I recommend Cisco. You can physically plug into it for your desktop and run the laptop on wifi.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Rhia7 talk to your DSL provider about setting up DHCP so you can use more than one device. Are you plugging into the DSL router and only have one port? Then its inexpensive to get a wireless router and I recommend Cisco. You can physically plug into it for your desktop and run the laptop on wifi.
    Thank you for the information. It looks like I plug in a DSL device to a telephone port.

I'm happy right now sitting in front of this desktop (Win7) I ordered the laptop last summer when I almost went somewhere on vacation but never went, thus the laptop has never been taken out of its package.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

12. Thanks From:

My primary development box is windows server 2012 with all the desktop features turned on, e.g. just like windows 8. You are right, it is really different. Some tips:

1) Get used to using the windows key on the keyboard. My main way of launching any program is to hit the windows key and start typing the name of the program.

2) ctrl + left mouse click on a running application on the taskbar will launch a new instance of the application.

3) Finding the power button is hard. ctrl+alt+delete then checkout the bottom right in order to shutdown.

The adminstrative tasks are hidden or have been renamed. I have a hard time finding admin screens. I just google for it whenever I need to do an admin task. (e.g. create users, setup VPN, change DNS, etc)

I've been using the windows 8 UI for about a year now. The main drawback is that it is hard to find stuff if you don't know the name of the program.

14. Thanks From:

Outsourced Program Manager John Jupp's Avatar
    I have Windows 8/8.1 which is crap on 3 machines. Windows 7 which is fine on 3 machines and windows xp on 1 machine which is slow but the easiest to use.

Every time I upgrade I have to get Dreamweaver and Office sorted, Windows 8 is crap for email and even Windows 7 I use Mozilla Thunderbird because Outlook is rubbish. On my old XP I still use Outlook Express.
    Flambi Media Limited - USA/UK/EU Affiliate Management Expertise

16. Thanks From:

I have been using Windows 8 for awhile and I am fairly used to it now. I ended up getting rid of a lot of the apps. I haven't had issues w/ Dreamweaver (haven't updated it in years) or Office and Outlook has remained the same. I have no idea why I lucked out with that.
    Last edited by leeann; April 10th, 2014 at 11:51 AM.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

18. Thanks From:

Min RAM requirements for those using it? 4G, 8G, or?

Windows 8 uses on average twice the amount of RAM as windows 7 and 4 times the amount of RAM as XP, at least that's what one of my techies told me. He also said most of the cheap pc's and laptops on sale don't have enough RAM to cope with the software and you should always pay for a little extra bang for the buck, or something like that. I think he's into double entendres.

21. Thanks From:

Actually read where Windows 8 is less RAM intensive than Win7 - think MS claims that...

ah well my bad lol

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Min RAM requirements for those using it? 4G, 8G, or?
    6G was the general consensus of my FB friends.

My friend from G+ who said 8G is/was an IT guy who is also an avid gamer.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

25. Thanks From:

Hmmm, typo, I meant shift+click to launch new instance. I'm doing this all the time with excel because I like to look at spreadsheets side-by-side for comparison.

27. Thanks From:

Took the plunge and ordered a new computer with Windows 8.1 -

Should be here in about a week.

Figured "what the hell", may as well learn a new OS. Let you know if I survive...

I've been a quick adopter of each of the previous versions of Windows, and have felt like each version was an upgrade (or at least no worse than the previous). Not so with Windows 8.

Our only desktop (which is mainly used by the kids) was replaced with a Windows 8 machine over a year ago. I've finally got used to the missing Start button, but I still have fits when I try to close windows, print things, etc.

I bought a new laptop a year ago. It has twice the memory and hard drive and some other desirable features, but it came with Windows 8. It's still in the box. I'll endure with my Windows 7 laptop that's falling apart as long as possible.

Windows 8 is basically a melding of mouse/keyboard based computers and touch based tablets/screens. Perhaps if you have a touch screen, it's fine. But for a laptop, it's just plain harder to use. JMHO.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

30. Thanks From:

Fired up the new 'puter with Windows 8.1

Initial setup is HORRIBLE - wow does Microsoft ever try to rape you of your personal information. Have to have a Windows Live account as your login. <snicker> Yeah, that's "Me".

Once you adjust your privacy settings - it's pretty easy to actually navigate things.

So far, so good...

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    I bought a new laptop a year ago. It has twice the memory and hard drive and some other desirable features, but it came with Windows 8. It's still in the box. I'll endure with my Windows 7 laptop that's falling apart as long as possible.
    I'm actually biting the bullet on my Windows 8 laptop. One of the features that the laptop has (but my old one doesn't) is an HDMI port. I'm currently working on a project where I'll have PDF files pulled up on one screen and be entering information from them into another screen, and I have a spare HDMI HDTV that would be ideal for that. So I'm using the Windows 8 laptop for that.

I tried to upgrade it from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1. It said I had to do the Windows Updates first. So right now it's in the process of installing 119 new updates. Yikes.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

33. Thanks From:

I bought a Windows 8.1 laptop a month or so ago. By diligently searching and reading tons for the first week I had it, then taking most of another week to make it look and perform as much as possible like a Windows 7 machine -- I am finally using it two or three days per week.

My early statement about Windows 8.1 might go something like this: For the absolutely WORST Windows operating system I've ever had to use, it's not too bad. Now that I've almost modified it enough to look and "feel" like Windows 7.

Here are a few websites I found helpful:

How To Make Windows 8.1 Act More Like Windows 7 - Puget Custom Computers

Making Windows 8.1 Work Like Windows 7 | Windows 8.1 content from Windows IT Pro

Windows 8.1 tips & tricks: 13 ways to increase productivity | IT PRO

That last site referenced makes mention of a "Classic Shell" app that works pretty well for me to give Windows 8.1 a decent "Start" button.

Hope that's helpful to any of you who are like me -- despising Windows 8.1 and trying to make it look like Windows 7.

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

35. Thanks From:

After 24 hours, I find myself actually liking it - it's kind of fun configuring something.

Now if I can get Laplink PCmover Professional to work and get everything I want transferred...

Me too, kind of. Now that my upgrade is completed, I'm disliking Windows 8.1 much less than I disliked Windows 8. It definitely makes it a bit more keyboard/mouse friendly than 8.0. Still nowhere near as easy as Windows 7, but better.

I am seeing a few minor improvements here and there. For instance, with Windows 7 (and before), if you copy files into a sorted folder, they go to the bottom (out of order) and you have to resort. With Windows 8.1, they go where they belong (sorted).
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

38. Thanks From:

The biggest pain in the a$$ is trying to get browser bookmarks, passwords, and settings transferred from a 32bit machine to a 64bit machine - Windows 8.1 not withstanding.

It will be quicker in the long run, just to recreate everything on the new machine. Bought PCmover Profe4ssional and it didn't make these transfers.

Another annoyance is Software like Microsoft Office won't transfer - had a fire earlier this year and , well, don't have those disks anymore.

But it's a clean canvas and I guess I can paint it anyway I want now.

Still find myself liking Windows 8.1, though...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast