The Problem with Guest Blogging
    There's been a lot of buzz lately about guest blogging and Google's crack down on "spammy guest blogging networks". What's interesting and confusing to some people is that they penalized some well known SEO's that are very much white hat in their tactics and what they represent.

I created a post on my blog about guest posting for 2014 and beyond. Here are some important things:
    1) Google's algorithm can't distinguish between guest post links and natural links from a normal blog post. This is why guest posts are becoming a problem as Google wants to count a natural link more than a link from a low quality guest post.

2) Some well known sites including My Blog Guest, Portent (a well known white hat SEO firm) and Doc Sheldon (a known SEO expert) were hit with penalties from Google. This caused a good bit of controversy within the SEO community.

3) We can't know for sure what Google will do in the future, but I believe the safe thing to do with guest posting is to always write high quality posts and target sites with high quality standards.

4) Some SEO's are suggesting placing links within the body of the article in case author boxes are discounted in the future.

What do you think? Has anyone changed their guest posting strategy recently?
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; April 11th, 2014 at 12:37 PM. Reason: removed linkdrop

I have never actually tried guest blogging. I like your blog - I got some good tips from your previous post. I have already started experimenting with adding images with text to my blog posts and pinning them on Pinterest. Thank you.

3. Thanks From:

Some well known sites including My Blog Guest, Portent (a well known white hat SEO firm) and Doc Sheldon (a known SEO expert) were hit with penalties from Google.
    That might not be a bad thing. Posts contrived for SEO reasons are not really directed at adding value for the reader of a website.

Unfortunately, many guest blog posts for SEO are little more than "word-spinning" of already available content. What is needed is well researched and written narrative that adds value to a user's experience.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I've seen a lot of guest posts that were just generic information and not helpful at all. It really doesn't take much work to write something decent, so hopefully people will take the time to do that going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by sbizideasblog View Post
    I've seen a lot of guest posts that were just generic information and not helpful at all. It really doesn't take much work to write something decent, so hopefully people will take the time to do that going forward.
    Unfortunately I have only a two-word response to that thought: "Wishful thinking."
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I have to agree with Bill that this might not be a bad thing. I hate running around the web and finding poorly written blog posts that have little to no relevant content. Maybe this will force people's hand into producing quality content worth reading.

8. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread