Placement deals with CJ advertisers
    Some CJ advertisers have approached us (via the AMs) to ask about banner placement opportunities on our websites. They are asking us how much we charge.

Anybody here has experience doing this, and what would be a fair rate for placements?

We get the same inquiries. The amount you charge will be based on the industry. I suggest you do some research on different ad networks like Buy Ads | BuySellAds and compare your websites quality against these sites. If you have a website dedicated to an expensive niche or a niche with big margins, you are going to be able to get more the $4 CPM. If your website is dedicated to video games, probably much less than $4.

Thanks for the tips... another question - for such paid banner placements, will we still get commission on sales from banner clicks?

FYI, saw an Adsense Direct announcement recently, might help you:

https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/4238965

Quote Originally Posted by ratsalad View Post
    Thanks for the tips... another question - for such paid banner placements, will we still get commission on sales from banner clicks?
    Actually, I should say it depends on the deal you work out. It varies by advertiser and how you are compensated. Sometimes they just want to give you a commission bump.

6. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Our non-negotiated, self-serve price is $20 CPM (.02 an impression) - Very targeted.

Have to offset the lost commissions...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

no
    Not necessarily. I've had two different merchants pay me for placement and let me affiliatize the ad. I've got one running right now.

9. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by bobby131313 View Post
    Not necessarily. I've had two different merchants pay me for placement and let me affiliatize the ad. I've got one running right now.
    Are they paying you a cash bonus for the placement and not a commission bump? If so, that's a pretty sweet deal. I'm going to have to ask for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Our non-negotiated, self-serve price is $20 CPM (.02 an impression) - Very targeted.

Have to offset the lost commissions...
    Do you get many takers at that price? Are you segmenting your page views by product category?

They are paying me my monthly charge for placement plus commissions on sales. I didn't ask for it, they offered. The previous one I even told up front would not be a good fit for my site and they paid it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by isellstuff View Post
    Do you get many takers at that price?
    Most contact us for better rates - but merchants do sign up/self-serve. Usually those without affiliate programs. We decline/refund more than we accept.

Quote Originally Posted by isellstuff View Post
    Are you segmenting your page views by product category?
    VERY targeted. Advertisers can even geo-target with us. We allow three banners per campaign purchase and in our standard two sizes - 728x90 and 160x600 and host all banners on our ad server.

We have a "Marketing Solutions" page offering multiple methods for advertisers, including PPC, and datafeed/product inclusion.

We are doing this across multiple web properties...

14. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by bobby131313 View Post
    They are paying me my monthly charge for placement plus commissions on sales. I didn't ask for it, they offered. The previous one I even told up front would not be a good fit for my site and they paid it anyway.
    Ditto.

Affiliates need to read their emails from merchants, lol. Offers come in all the time.

We're able to "weight" our banner placements for merchants with affiliate programs who want greater exposure and still pay commissions. Paid+Commissions...

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    We have a "Marketing Solutions" page offering multiple methods for advertisers, including PPC, and datafeed/product inclusion.
    I just wrote this page but haven't launched it yet. I didn't cover banner ads though. I typically run very few banners. I've only got one right now, which is a "pay per lead" deal. I make about $3-$9 dollars a day from it and it doesn't cannibalize any commissioned sales because it is on an informational "link bait" page.

I've thought about showing banners only for my informational traffic. Like for instance, I rank for a non-eCommerce domain name that gets a lot of traffic. Its just random incoming traffic at decent volume that I currently don't try to monetize because it is so "off the wall". It would be interesting to create a banner segment that corresponds to this traffic.

17. Thanks From:

We have banners in two spots only. Right side of products/categories and at the bottom of products/categories. We rotate four different ad sets in each.

1) Straight Banners (as we're discussing)
    2) PPC: Straight Text
    3) PPC: Text w/image (logo, product, etc)
    4) PPC: Banner

All in-house, No 3rd party ad platforms..

19. Thanks From:

Thanks for sharing everyone!

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread