Coupons With Huge Exclusion Lists
    I'm seeing merchants put out site wide coupons that have exclusion lists so large that, if I publish these coupons, I will basically alienate my readers. I don't think these coupons offer any value to the merchant because they will inevitably alienate the shopper after causing huge frustration. The particular problem I see is that these coupons exclude all the popular brands which the shopper will gravitate towards. Here's one I recently saw:

Excludes the following brands:
    Aetrex, Ahnu, Alegria, Allen Edmonds, Alpro, Anuschka (All styles except "ANNA" editions), Aravon, Ariat, ASICS, BeautiFeel, Betsey Johnson, Birkenstock, Birki's, Blundstone, Bogs, Born (New Arrivals only), Brooks (Shoes only), Carhartt, Carolina (New Arrivals only), Chaco, Chippewa, Clarks (Unstructured styles only), Cobb Hill, Dansko, Double-H Boots (New Arrivals only), Drew, Dunham, Earth, Earthies, ECCO, fitflop, Finn Comfort, Florsheim, Freebird by Steven, Frye, Gravity Defyer, Jack Rogers, Jambu, Johnston & Murphy, KEEN, Klogs, Kork-Ease (New Arrivals only), K-Swiss, Lodis, Mephisto, Merrell, Minnetonka, Miz Mooz, Mizuno, Munro, Naot, New Balance (Select styles only), Nike, Nina, Nunn Bush, Oliberte, Orthaheel, Papillio, Patagonia, Pikolinos, prAna, Red Wing Heritage, Rieker, Rockport (Select styles/collections only), Sacha London, Salomon, Sanita, Sanuk, Saucony Performance, Sofft (New Arrivals only), Softspots (New Arrivals only), SoftWalk, SOREL, Sperry Top-Sider, Splendid, Spring Step, Stacy Adams, Steve Madden, Superfeet, Taos, Teva, The Flexx, The North Face, The Original Muck Boot Company, Think!, Trotters, Tsubo, UGG Australia, Vintage Shoe Company (New Arrivals only), Vionic w/ Orthaheel Technology, Weil by Orthaheel, or Wolky.

2. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Yep and know this merchant of which you speak.

Modified our software some to accommodate exclusions by specific brand. If the brand is in our exclusion list then the coupon is not applied to the product on our product page AND does not show up on our Category Coupon Page.

However, when there are THIS many we don't bother.

NOTE: We use a variation of our code when MAP is an issue as well...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Affiliate Manager ParadigmWilliam's Avatar
    Sometimes I wish the merchant would just put what it includes, as that list would be much shorter
    [URL="http://www.manageaffiliatelinks.com/"][COLOR="Red"][B]Manage Affiliate Links[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Redirect Dead, Expired, or Broken Links

[URL="http://www.wpcoupon.com/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]WP Coupon[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Turn Wordpress into a Coupon Site!

Wow, just saw this one from Sports Authority. How could this coupon possibly make a customer happy? Its just a recipe for frustration.

15% Off Your Entire Order!
    *Offer valid NOW until 05/18/2014 at 3:00am EST. To participate, simply enter eligible items to your cart, enter your promo code SPRING15 and your discount will be applied in the cart. Excludes BOGO offers; Deal of the Week; Adams Golf, adidas Energy Boost, adidas Springblade, Anon, select Asics footwear, Atomic, Babolat, Bowflex, Brine, Brooks, Burton, CamelBack, Carhartt, select Callaway Golf, Cleveland Golf, Cobra, Coleman NXT grills, Columbia, DC Shoes, DeMarini, Easton, Fitbit, GoPro, Head IG Youtek tennis racquets, Hyperlite, JanSport, Jordan, Jugs, K2 skis and snowboards, Leupold, Life Fitness, Lionel, Lobster, Louisville Slugger, MacGregor, Marker, MBT, Merrell, Mike Sports, Mizuno Footwear, Motorola, Mountain Hardware, select New Balance footwear, Nike NFL, Nike Pro, select Nike footwear, cleats and apparel, select Nike tennis, select Nike golf, Nikon, Nordica, Oakley Eyewear, O’Brien, Odyssey, Penn reels, Petzi, Prince, Rawlings, Red, Ride, Salomon, Schwinn, Scott, Shimano reels, SkyCaddie, Smith, Spyder, Starter, Strider Sports, select TaylorMade Golf, Tecnica, The North Face, Thorlo, Thule, Timberland, Tippmann, Titleist, UGG, Under Armour, Volkl, Warrior, Wilson BLX tennis racquets, and Yakima. League championship merchandise; all Black Friday Weekend Sale and Sniagrab event items; baseball bats $200 or more; ball gloves $169.99 or more; firearms; ammunition; bike racks, electronics/optics; select fitness, exercise bikes, elliptical, treadmills, home gyms, weights, benches, trampolines & accessories; select Fan Shop furniture; select camping products, canopies, scooters, table games; select fishing & hunting products; select boats; and select basketball systems. Excludes clearance items marked with .97¢ price endings. Coupons have no cash value. No cash back. Not valid on rain checks, prior or S.A. Elite Sports Authority purchases, gift cards, licenses or event tickets. Offer good on in-stock merchandise only. Must present coupon at time of purchase to redeem. Cannot be combined with any other offer, coupon, Employee or Friends & Family discount. More exclusions may apply. Visit sportsauthority.com/exclusions or see store for details. This promotion is for a limited time and can be modified or terminated at any time without advance notice. Offer does not apply to gift certificates, gift cards, taxes, or similar charges. Offer cannot be combined with any other promotional offer and is not valid on previous purchases.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Looks like its just to fool the consumer into coming to the site then they try to find something it works with.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Looks like its just to fool the consumer into coming to the site then they try to find something it works with.
    I agree, but is this really a good practice? Does it work?
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

The term "Bait & Switch" comes to mind.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Not sure its intentional, most likely those brands only sell at MAP and don't allow discounting. Just seems funky to exclude so many brands.

10. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Not sure its intentional, most likely those brands only sell at MAP and don't allow discounting. Just seems funky to exclude so many brands.
    Because they are also excluding categories of products, it is pushing beyond MAP. Regardless, an AM should not allow this behavior because the user will cry "bait and switch". I hear this all the time from my website visitors. It is my number one complaint. Whenever a user doesn't get what they believe they were promised, they get angry.

I used to give coupons a much more prominent place on my website, now I have reduced their exposure and it is because of exclusion lists like this. I don't have time to police all the "gotchyas" that are involved with coupon offers.

I suspect that the AM there came from the product side of the business or at least the past one did. They tend to not take the affiliates into mind when making changes or sending promotions.

Yep, there's a lot of brands out there who don't allow discounting & a merchant's hands are tied. I agree with ParadigmWilliam: just list the merchants it includes. Stop the "site-wide sale" or "% Off Any Order" nonsense when it just ain't so.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

That type of "coupon" will do nothing but anger shoppers. When I see that many exclusions I'll include "warning - excessive exclusions" on the post or a warning to read the fine print. Macy's always does this type of thing and about a year ago we had a discussion about it in reference to Irvs. I believe they changed how they do promotions now. You have to wonder if the stores are actually tuned in at all to their shoppers.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread