Dealing With International Traffic
    So, for some reason, the Google gods are starting to shine on me, ever so slightly. Its nothing major, but its helpful... One of the weird things is that Google is sending international traffic to my US only site. Yesterday a user contacted me and wanted to know why I didn't display prices in British pounds, for instance... My international traffic though is from all over the world.

I'm curious, does anyone do anything special to monetize International traffic? The only thing I can think of is maybe raise my Adsense position to the top instead of the bottom of my pages???

I guess I could try geo-targeting to swap out some links, like ebay links for instance??? Does anyone geo-target like that? Do you have much success?

We both know someone that does that, geo targeting.
    I just block all countries except US, CA, and UK.
    But they can still see the pages by using God translation pages.
    And seen where some click thru that way.
    Where's the Great Life of Affiliate Marketing Hiding?

4. Thanks From:

I'm blocking regions in India because contractors were writing scrapers and running them from those regions. I'm currently block the Baidu and Yandex bots.

It looks like I make a "little" money from international adsense but a lot of the countries are less than 1 cent a click! There are some pleasant surprises though, like Singapore, UAE, Poland???

I waffle between wanting to block non-english speaking traffic and just wanting as many page views as I can get.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Like Mr. Bob - We block all but US, CA, and UK traffic. Added UK traffic late last year as we're still working on getting back into the UK market.

Currently am geo-targeting contextual text and banner ads shown on our main site. Hopefully we'll have the UK version, "sample.co.uk" site up before the holidays this year. Then we will have a small pop-up welcoming UK visitors with the options of going to the UK site (if they come in on the "sample.com" site or staying where they are - and vice-versa.

There are some brands, such as Nike, that do not allow their retailers to ship from US merchants to the UK (for example). Working on adding "countries shipped to" in the product descriptions as a bullet point. Eventually, would like to automate the process whereas the UK equivalent of the product is shown if the visitor's IP shows they are from the UK.

Love automation - just would configuring it was "automatic", lol...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

7. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by isellstuff View Post
    I waffle between wanting to block non-english speaking traffic and just wanting as many page views as I can get.
    In one of the Zappos threads we were discussing conversion / EPC rates. Others stated that ours always seems to be higher. Simple, very "targeted" traffic includes preventing other countries' clicks. Plus, it really cuts down on SPAM, site scrapers, etc. Again, geo-targeting values far outweigh missing the occasional sale from Slovakia...

I wonder how much value your website would have if 40% of its traffic was non-english speaking? I'm looking at my largest competitor and that is how their traffic is structured. Mostly 1st world non-english. Now, truth be told I kept expecting their website to close once the VC funding ran out, but I think they have kept their staff low enough to break even or turn a small profit. Now I'm talking a couple of million uniques a month, so a totally different animal from my website. Just thinking out loud...

Sometimes I look at my business as contest to see how much traffic I can squeeze through the minimum amount of hardware, bandwidth and utilizing the least manpower. Probably just how I get my kicks...
    Last edited by isellstuff; April 12th, 2014 at 01:30 PM.

I wonder how much value your website would have if 40% of its traffic was non-english speaking?
    Prosperent posted once that they had something like 17% non-US sales. Ours has NEVER even been close to that - even before we started blocking non-English speaking countries. Course we don't have thousands of non-English speaking affiliates marketing on our behalf, either

Sometimes I look at my business as contest to see how much traffic I can squeeze through the minimum amount of hardware, bandwidth and utilizing the least manpower. Probably just how I get my kicks...
    Yeah have to admit am obsessed with doing the same...

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread