Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Shopping season is right around the corner. One way to approach to problem is with consumer education about these programs and getting them to uninstall them from their computers. I've just sent the following email to my friends and family. I've also encouraged them to forward it to their friends and family. People so love to forward emails, might as well be something to help our cause.

I encourage all to send the email below or their own version as well.

[Begin Email]

I’m usually not much on forwarding emails, but I thought this might be helpful to many people.

Have you noticed the growing number of pop up ads you have to suffer through when surfing? It’s annoying at best. But now, these ads are going well beyond annoying. The culprit of some of the ads can actually be software that has been installed on your computer possibly without your knowledge. Many of these programs also track your online surfing to sell the information. Not only are you bombarded with pop up/under ads and have your privacy invaded, but these programs running in the background of your computer can cause your surfing to slow, crash your computer and/or browser, change your browser settings, and cause other computer problems. More and more computer repair shops are reporting these programs (called parasiteware, spyware, scumware, and adware on the Net) are the cause of service calls.

These programs are typically installed on your computer two ways. They may come bundled with other other software that requires you to install the parasiteware also in order to use the free software you want. Some good examples are with free games, P2P programs, screensavers and wall paper, skins for your browser, stationary for your email, search helpers, and programs in the disguise of offering your discounts when shopping. The second, more malicious way, these programs can be installed on your computer is by drive-by downloads when visiting web sites. An automatic download is performed from, you guessed it, usually a pop up/under ad! You may not even realize the download and install of the software has happened! Or worse yet, they may install a special programs which slowly installs the software over several days times so you don’t realize it is happening. What’s even worse is if you don’t uninstall these programs correctly, some of them will continue to reinstall themselves on your computer.

I know people who were experiencing problems with their computer and found up to 10 of these programs installed that they knew nothing about. You can have your computer scanned for free by visiting http://www.parasiteware.com to see if your computer is infected. You will also find more information about this growing problem on the Internet and what to do if your computer is infected.

There are quite a few programs you can buy now that block ads. These programs aren’t necessarily bad, but the problem is the software that is causing the ads are still on your computer and running. Also ad blocking software is fairly new. Many of these programs are “intelligent” about what they block. They frequently do not block some ads, while blocking other things which are not ads. They can effect your ability to see things on the Internet you really won’t to or block the way you surf on the Internet (for example not allowing you to open a new browser window). The first line of defense is to detect and remove the software causing the problem from your computer.

Take a moment to visit http://www.parasiteware.com to make sure your computer is ‘clean’ of this unwanted software. You can also help spread the word about this growing menace on the Internet by forwarding this email to your friends and family. But please, don’t spam anyone! That’s just as bad as unwanted ads while you’re surfing.

[End Email]

The other thing I've done is add a line in my email sig. I say that my business supports responsible and ethical adverstising on the Internet and then I link to parasiteware.com if they want to know if their computer is infected with software which delivers unwanted ads.

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

What a great idea Mrs.B I have put it on my email signature now.
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Gordon & Pauline Skevy
    support responsible and ethical advertising on the Internet.
    Check your computer now for unwanted Spyware and Parasiteware (FREE)
    This is a tested virus free site http://www.parasiteware.com <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BTW I hope you have not sent many emails with this on "ethical adverstising on the Internet"

I got my parasiteware t-shirt
    &lt;font color=red size="1"&gt;All parasites are scumbags and should be treated as such....&lt;/font&gt;&lt;font color=blue size="1"&gt;STAMP EM OUT!!!&lt;/font&gt;
    Take care
    YouTrek.com

[This message was edited by Gordon on September 11, 2003 at 03:18 PM.]

Along the same lines of viral (ohhh a pun) consumer education. For you guys who have pages on your sites educating and/or alerting visitors, you can get a simple TAF script to put on that page at http://www.bignosebird.com/carchive/birdcast.shtml It's pretty easy to install (I've done it). I've had pretty good response having it on my sites.

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

Thanks Ms. B.,

I'll copy yours and email them to my friends and hope they can pass it around!

if all of us do this this will give a lot of exposure and give them the ability to choose if they want to keep what ever they have in their pc.

Come on people send them emails!

I have at least 100 email from friends, if they pass it with other friends that would calculate in a big number!

------------------------------
    What does the COC stand for? &lt;b&gt;Crooks Overwriting Commissions.&lt;/b&gt;
    &lt;b&gt;Don't worry! Tracking is infected!&lt;/b&gt;
    ------------------------------
    Love Life to the fullest. we only get ONE chance! :-) !

Wonderful idea!!!!

Vicki

If you lose respect for the squirrels
    you will have problems during the running... eds

I Am Taking this a step further! I am about to print flyers for my neighborhood. i can put this info on the opposite side since i hate parasites more than my mother in law

Build a page get some links collect the checks "Yeah Right"

ABW Ambassador
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but I fixed what I considered to be a few 'typos' in the text and then mailed it to my mailing list of around 1500 individuals.

Here's what I sent:-

I'm usually not much on forwarding emails, but I thought this might be helpful to many people.

Have you noticed the growing number of pop up ads you have to suffer through when surfing? It’s annoying at best. But now, these ads are going well beyond annoying. The culprit of some of the ads can actually be software that has been installed on your computer possibly without your knowledge. Many of these programs also track your online surfing to sell the information. Not only are you bombarded with pop up/under ads and have your privacy invaded, but these programs running in the background of your computer can cause your surfing to slow, crash your computer and/or browser, change your browser settings, and cause other computer problems. More and more computer repair shops are reporting these programs (called parasiteware, spyware, scumware, and adware on the Net) are the cause of service calls.

These programs are typically installed on your computer two ways. They may come bundled with other other software that requires you to install the parasiteware also in order to use the free software you want. Some good examples are with free games, P2P programs, screensavers and wall paper, skins for your browser, stationary for your email, search helpers, and programs in the disguise of offering your discounts when shopping. The second, more malicious way, these programs can be installed on your computer is by drive-by downloads when visiting web sites. An automatic download is performed from, you guessed it, usually a pop up/under ad! You may not even realize the download and install of the software has happened! Or worse yet, they may install a special program which slowly installs the software over several days so you don’t realize it is happening. What’s even worse is if you don’t uninstall these programs correctly, some of them will continue to reinstall themselves on your computer.

I know people who were experiencing problems with their computer and found up to 10 of these programs installed that they knew nothing about. You can have your computer scanned for free by visiting http://www.parasiteware.com to see if your computer is infected. You will also find more information about this growing problem on the Internet and what to do if your computer is infected.

There are quite a few programs you can buy now that block ads. These programs aren’t necessarily bad, but the problem is the software that is causing the ads is still on your computer and running. Also ad blocking software is fairly new. Many of these programs are “intelligent” about what they block. They frequently do not block some ads, while blocking other things which are not ads. They can effect your ability to see things on the Internet you really want to or block the way you surf on the Internet (for example not allowing you to open a new browser window). The first line of defense is to detect and remove the software causing the problem from your computer.

Take a moment to visit http://www.parasiteware.com to make sure your computer is ‘clean’ of this unwanted software. You can also help spread the word about this growing menace on the Internet by forwarding this email to your friends and family. But please, don’t spam anyone! That’s just as bad as unwanted ads while you’re surfing.

Great idea Ms. B

I hate to nit pick but since you want us to send it to everyone we know I thought you might want to fix a couple of Typos...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Many of these programs are NOT“intelligent” about what they block. They frequently do not block some ads, while blocking other things which are not ads. They can effect affect your ability to see things on the Internet you really won’t WANTto see<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Again... Fantastic Idea
    I hope I'm not offending you with the corrections.

OOPS!

Microdot beat me to it

Who me???? Make a typo???? No offense taken at all microdat and cdc. That's what happens when you have excel, dw, and 3 emails going at the same time. LOL.

Thanks to all who are helping to get the word out.

Thanks Mrs. B,

I'm sending out about 250 to personal contacts and another 600 or so to business addresses. I'm also adding a page to the website to supplement my "shopping tips" page.

Send emails, folks!

Ernie

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Thanks Ms. B! The E-mails are going out tomorrow.

Do we have your permission to reprint this message on websites, for instance on an educational page regarding parasites?

Andy

That scan at http://www.parasiteware.com/ doesn't seem to be working. I get "errors on page" message.

If it's slick, it's not sticky.

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah the scan is not working. When it works, what is used to delete the parasitic files? How bout putting links in email to spybot and adaware which can be downloaded at download.com, it's what i use to scan my system. Don't link em back to here, that doesn't make any sense. I'm not going to tell my newsletter signups about this place. Last thing we need is thousands and thousands of people frustrated with their jobs to come here and learn from the masters

[This message was edited by TrustNo1® on September 11, 2003 at 11:58 PM.]

The Active X scan is being finished, thus the Java Errors.

No.1 The idea behind sending them to Pware is that they will be redirected back to your site (if you read the text, you'd see that!) so that they can buy!

The scan will be free BTW!

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

Sorry gang. Didn't know Haiko was in the middle of getting the new parasiteware site up when I started this thread this afternoon. It was the old site then.

Andy, yes but please don't credit me with the typos. It can be used anyway you would like. You can come up with your own if you like. I'm sure there are many here with much better writing skills than mine.

Trust you can choose to provide whatever links you want to your visitors. You can provide whatever information you want to your visitors. I was just running through my To Do List today and this was on the list. As I just provided something people could use, modify as they see fit, or not use at all. I wanted to link to parasiteware.com because the removal feature will not delete cookies as Haiko stated. The programs you mention do delete cookies and will continue to delete cookies everytime the consumer runs the software. I also linked to pware because Haiko has very generously offered to donate proceeds from the cafepress store sales to help fund other pware efforts. That's the big "Support The Fight" thing in banners. You're free to do whatever you feel is best. ::shrug::

Like the new design and features H.

ABW Ambassador
    Ah, gotcha won't delete cookies, ok

"The successful man is the average man, focused."

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    I've wanted to tell people (my site visitors) about Parasiteware's main page - but it was really written for US - and if you look at it from a typical websurfer's point of view - it's REAL SCARY!!

Parasites (just that word alone is scary) are stealing your personal info. Beware! There's millions of 'em,! And you've got them secretly installed on your computer!!

I think it would scare my referals into PHONING IN their order to the merchant.

There should be another version of this page with a "lighter" style for the grandma and grandpa shoppers and I'll be more than happy to refer all my site visitors!

ABW Ambassador
    Haiko, how do you get it to free scan, i'm not seeing it? I click:
    Click Here Remove ParasiteWare™ from your computer! which takes me to an XBlock page. Does is scan for pware while the page loads?

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    ... they will be redirected back to your site (if you read the text, you'd see that!) so that they can buy! ...
    I missed the text as well. How do they get redirected back to my site?

Mrs. B, (Kellie)
    I went to the parsiteware page. Looks good, except for one thing... at the vary bottom of the page, after warning everyone about the "nasties", they see:

" Be careful what you "install" - you may be getting more than you bargained for!"

That highlighted messsage following a download that may intimidate most people, just might be sending the wrong message.

I understood the context and meaning of the message, but a newbie might just be thinking, "Well, I'd better not install the download...look at the warning!"

Whaddya think?
    Later,
    Rick K.
    "Whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't...You're right!" -Henry Ford-

ABW Ambassador
    This is great stuff - thanks Ms. B!

Rick K. the parasiteware.com site is not mine, it belongs to Haiko.

I started this thread in 2003 in an effort to assist affiliates in educating consumers and assist them in getting their computers clean.

In general to folks who have started posting in this thread recently with comments and questions from the much older posts from 2003. The pware site has gone through several updates and changes since then.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    The idea behind sending them to Pware is that they will be redirected back to your site (if you read the text, you'd see that!) so that they can buy!
    Haiko - I know a long time has passed, but is this how it turned out to function - redirected back to my site to buy?

<bump>

I second Donuts question, Haiko - can we get an update as to how the site operates now? Does it redirect the visitor back to our site after their scan? Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast