I'm a newbie. I'm overwhelmed by the amount of information and categories in these forums. Forgive me if I'm posting an "often asked" question or in the wrong forum.

I have made a lot of money as an Amazon Affiliate. I've set up a bunch of programs through CJ, BeFree, LinkShare, etc. but lately I'm not making even $10 on these Affiliate programs (and before Xmas I was making hundreds of dollars on Commission Junction.)

I've used Adwords.Google to get thousands of hits on my affiliate sites - so I'm wondering if someone is hi-jacking my customers.

I didn't even know there was such as thing. I'm going to feel really dumb if someone is taking my customers as I've spent hundreds of dollars on adword.google.

You will be my hero if you can help me check for affiliate parasites.

April L Lougheed

Hi April
    what happened to you is probably similiar to my story. around oct/november most of my sales disapeared just as the software n-case from 1800solutions came on the scene. they have put this n-case software unwilling on to peoples computers just by them visiting websites. it loaded as the people were reading the page and now your customers are affected by this. as they surfed your site a pop up box probably popped up with a better offer from that same merchant so they clicked on it as would anyone trying to save a buck. when they clicked on it it overrode your cookie and stole your commision. most merchants either dont know that this is happening or dont care about you making money.

The way to stop this is by not being partners with sites that allow this kind of behaivor and join parasite free merchants and educate the internet shopper to clean their computer anyway you can!!
    vin

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    180Solutions/n-case together with their competitors Gator/WhenU are nothing but Ad Whore thieves. The stench coming from direct involvement by the networks, birthing condoning, promoting and monitizing their theftware applications reeks of corruption.

Notice not one network has come forth in these heated threads to deny their involvement. The Ad whores have them by the balls and the whimpy AM's turn a blind eye or hide the activity from their merchant's management.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Dear nyfalcon: thank you so much for your response. I can't believe I didn't find this forum earlier.

I'm a bit confused by all the posts about CJ partnering with parasites -- so I've been looking for lists of "parasite free" merchants.

I've searched all over these forums and I found one short list here:
    http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...1&m=7876096143

Interestingly, SportsFanFare is on the list and next to Amazon - it is the one I've made the most money through. Which really makes me wonder if I was getting screwed by Dick's Sporting Goods, Reebok, Footlocker and a couple others. I hope not. Any feedback on these would be SO appreciated.

Does any know if MVP.com with BeFree.com is parasite free?

I'm working on them today and hope to use them heavily.

April

April L Lougheed

Hi again. I just found this URL:
    http://www.befree.com/code_of_conduct.htm

It says Befree, Perfomics and CJ have a "publisher code of conduct" etc. etc. and that they can't interfere with referrals/cookies.

So are we safe now?

Thanks, April

April L Lougheed

Unfortunately, not safe.

The 'COC' can be safely printed on paper and hung on a hook in your bathroom...

SportsFanfare is A.M'd by the redoubtable Akiva, who has his own forum here and does not tolerate any cr@p in his programs.

Might explain why you do well in his program and less well in other sports programs.

Come on April your no newbee to any of this affiliate stuff. Avid Amazon affiliate, accounts with CJ, BF, LS and tackling datafeeds with WebMerge. OH ...accounts with AdWords,Overture and other PPCSE's using the listing tricks of experienced affiliates knowing every click costs you money.

Now you expect this crowd, who has been fighting BHO parasitewarez and traffic hijackers for 3 years, to think you've just stumbled onto their existance. I'm sure you could educate me on shortcuts to the commission pool.

One day the newbees will come here and actually join in the efforts to stop the affiliate abuses, while they try to learn what always works rather then worry about SERP changes, BHO's etc etc they have no control over.

If your looking for CJ merchants that won't put up with the affiliate tricks for clicks then choose Akiva's programs and JC Whitney for starters. Indies like those run by Andy Rodriguez allow no affiliate horse hocky. You can try Collectables Today at BF and some of Linda's programs (Irv's, Dental Plans) at least have a dedicated cheerleader. Basically if they don't post at ABW they are in denial & hiding requiring something like the couponer tricks to convert.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Dear Mike and Charlie. Thank you so much for your helpful comments. It is so nice that you take the time to help others.

I actually just started with Affilates seriously on 12/12/03. I didn't even know there was a way someone could hijack my referrals. It appears I lost a LOT of money due to my ignorance.

I am a long-time webmaster/web developer and this is how I learned about Overture & Adwords.

Well, anyway, thanks again for your thoughtful comments.

Best regards, April

April L Lougheed

Oh - also - I don't know what BHO or SERP mean. ??

April L Lougheed

Dear Radegast:

Thank you for the information about Akiva. I've contacted him to discuss a direct feed, etc.

A good lead. April

April L Lougheed

aprillougheed,

Hi and Welcome to ABW!

BHO - Browser helper object (the basis for the technology used by parasites).
    SERP(s) - Search engine results page(s)

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

April
    Glad i could help a little! The programs mentioned here is the way to go<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> If your looking for CJ merchants that won't put up with the affiliate tricks for clicks then choose Akiva's programs and JC Whitney for starters. Indies like those run by Andy Rodriguez allow no affiliate horse hocky. You can try Collectables Today at BF and some of Linda's programs (Irv's, Dental Plans) at least have a dedicated cheerleader. Basically if they don't post at ABW they are in denial & hiding requiring something like the couponer tricks to convert <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

bookmark abestweb active topics and see who post here and you wil see who the good guys are in about a week or so. that parasite free list link you posted also needs to be updated a little

Wow. I just spent the last couple hours searching these forums try to learn more about these hijacking techniques. (I saw lots of informative quotes from all of you.)

Bottom-line:

Best as I can figure out today - there is NO way to completely avoid:

1) people saving your files and grabbing the source code and substituting their own username/number and posting it on their own site

2) people getting cookies on customer's computers that pop-up a better ad

I'm still a little confused about how some merchants are enabling this - BUT I'll keep reading and figure it out sometime. Don't expect you guys to explain it to me.

So I'm just going to move forward slowly and make good, content laden sites; using the merchants you suggested above.

Thanks again for all your time and expertise.

April

P.S. Geez, just last night I went to bed with visions of "sugar plum merchants" and "ethical web contemporaries". Guess I've lost my innocence now. Good thing.

April L Lougheed

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Will adware and spybot s&d find Affiliate parasite? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    They will if you have those programs installed on your computer. If you are asking will they show which links are being overwritten the answer is NO, unless you download and install those programs and test your links yourself. Beware! it is said that trying to uninstall these progrms is very difficult to do.
    Cazzie

Fight Back! Parasite Free In 2004!

Look what I found:
    http://www.kingguffster.com/affiliat...reviations.htm

A glossary!

Thanks to Mike and Charlie for giving me the lead to Rodriguez's site which lead me to the other sites.

Hope it is OK to post the above link. I don't know why not but . . . let me know if I should remove it.

April

P.S. If it is OK; I'd like to post a new thread with links to the glossary.

April L Lougheed

April this is OH so true ..."So I'm just going to move forward slowly and make good, content laden sites; using the merchants you suggested above."

Stick to ABW merchnats who are willing to take the heat of having their programs openly discussed here. Make pages even you as a shopper would bookmark as a valueable future resource. Those type pages showcasing trusted merchants will never fluxuate in the SE's if you combine your spin copy with that available from the AM's. Use Akivas Product Showcase Creator (PSC) to highlight products from his and other programs BEFORE you fool with datafeeds. Every one of those feeds have 100+ affiliates already mirroring those same pages in Google. Many fixing to get whacked as doorway spam pages.

Mike & Charlie ...

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread