Where to start? Affiliates
    Hello all-

I have questions for the veterans of the affiliate marketing business. Iím a little lost and I need some direction, please. First, let me give a little info about me and my company- Iím a yoga teacher and health professional. Iíve created a fully functional, branded, user-friendly and professional e-commerce site (at least in my opinion) I sell yoga dvd packages and yoga retreats. I have my first nutrition supplement debuting in a few weeks- this is where I would like the company to move toward (supplements targeted toward the adventure sport and yoga retreat crowd)
    Iíve been trolling for a couple of weeks now. I could have saved a lot of time if, in the beginning, I would have read http://www.abestweb.com/forums/merch...et-150584.html. Excellent stuff.
    Anyway, I am the ultimate definition of a startup. I pretty much do everything myself. I fund everything through my own pocketbook.
    Questions:
    1) How do I start my affiliate program? It seems CJ is for the big boys. Would ShareAShare be friendlier toward a small startup?
    2) Can I create a program myself? I believe that ownership equals results. I donít mind doing the hard work.
    3) If the answer is yes to #2- Where would I go to find information about creating one and its components?
    4) Which method would require the least capital? If I create my own program, I would pay my VA several hours for affiliate research.
    5) If I create my own program, would affiliates be reluctant to do business with me because, possibly, I would seem less professional?

If youíve made it to the end of the post- THANKS for reading!

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks Ė
    Alan B

2. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Before you spend time and money to launch and market an affiliate program are you making good money from your site? What is your conversion. Do you know your gross margin and how much of that you can give to an affiliate sale?

Affiliate Manager FranklySpeaking's Avatar
    Hello Alan!

Step 0 is always to make your house-cleaning first. Make sure to master the economics of your industry, and that your existing website and landing pages are optimized for conversion. Etc.

After that, if you already have major partnerships in place, sure you can bring them on board your in-house affiliate program. However, if you are starting from scratch, as I feel it is the case, I suggest to go with SaS. You can buy premium placements and use them as one of your recruiting tools, to start a conversation with existing content affiliates.

Keep us posted. Best,
    Frank Ravanelli, OPM
    [URL="http://www.linkedin.com/today/posts/frankravanelli"]Affiliate Marketing News[/URL] - [URL="https://www.linkedin.com/in/frankravanelli"]Frank Ravanelli on LinkedIn[/URL]

Wow, you totally made my day I've taken a shot at your questions below, and if you ever want to chat, please let me know! Always happy to help grow our industry.

1) How do I start my affiliate program? It seems CJ is for the big boys. Would ShareAShare be friendlier toward a small startup?
    ShareASale is a great network, and there are successful yoga programs on there already, which means that there are solid yoga affiliates within the network. For full disclosure, I did work for ShareASale for 5 years, so of course I think it's a phenomenal network. That said, every business should evaluate multiple solutions so that they know what they need, what they want, and what they should pay for. That said, you should also check out AvantLink.com, as they also have a fantastic platform and affiliates that understand the health and fitness market.

2) Can I create a program myself? I believe that ownership equals results. I don’t mind doing the hard work.
    Absolutely. You'll get a lot of guidance here as well.

3) If the answer is yes to #2- Where would I go to find information about creating one and its components?
    There are a lot of agencies out there, mine included, that will help you set things up and get you up and running. However, your affiliate network will also have resources to help get you started. They'll have training videos and webinars, tutorials, etc. There is a wealth of information that will pertain to your specific network.

4) Which method would require the least capital? If I create my own program, I would pay my VA several hours for affiliate research.
    I work for an agency now, so although my advice will sound biased, it really is objective. I would hire an agency to help you get started. Just hire them on a consulting basis, or on a training basis, so that they can guide you through the setup process and teach you the basics. There are several agencies that are well-respected here on ABW. Just look for their forums. They're called OPMs, or outsourced program managers. We offer these services as well, and if you're interested in pricing, I can work with you on that.

5) If I create my own program, would affiliates be reluctant to do business with me because, possibly, I would seem less professional?
    If you are doing your own tracking and reporting, then yes, there may be some credibility issues because you are basically telling affiliates what you will pay them. If you are running your program through a third-party affiliate network, such as ShareASale or AvantLink, affiliates are ensured trusted tracking and on-time payment. If you are asking from the point of view of "should I run my own affiliate program"? My answer is that if you have the passion and you sincerely care about your affiliates, then affiliates will appreciate having a direct contact within the company to connect with.

I hope that helps, best of luck!
    best,
    Carolyn Tang Kmet
    AllInclusiveMarketing.com
    carolyn-at-allinclusivemarketing.com

Chuck Hamrick, Carolyn Tang Kmet ( especially you Carolyn- thanks for the in depth reply!) and Frank Ravenelli thanks for the replies.

I've decided that I need to increase my inventory variety, write effective copy for the new products, and define the ROI and conversion rate. The previous sentence is only 27 words, but encompasses a large amount of work.

Alan B

All that work will definitely help your affiliate program once you're ready
    best,
    Carolyn Tang Kmet
    AllInclusiveMarketing.com
    carolyn-at-allinclusivemarketing.com

8. Thanks From:

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread