Price Comparison vs Many options from one merchant
    Hello all,

for the past 5 years I have been offering my readers great product reviews with a price comparison of all merchants that offer that product.

Conversion has been good, around 4%.

I have found a great merchant who is one of the best in terms of assortment, service and price. We want to collaborate and I might be getting a very good commission % if I decide to exclusively feature them.

Basically at the end of each review instead of a price comparison for ie the color black of that item, I'd like to place instead a list of all the colors that the merchant offers (but only that merchant) and sweeten it all with a special discount code for my readers.

What is your gut feeling about this? Would people feel cheated when the price comparison is lost? I already had to drop a lot of merchants (bad conversion, low commissions...) and most of the time the price comparison is only between two merchants.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Good question, A/B test it while you convert the site to the one merchant.

I can't _really_ A/B test because in order to make it work I need to replace the price comparison script with something else, and I don't see them working together without complicating the site too much.

But for sure I will be measuring for 2 weeks (including clickmap) and draw my conclusions then. I was just curious to see if anybody in here had tried both approaches and had a winner and/or other experiences.

I would probably lean toward some sort of hybrid, where you show the price comparison, but you show additional details for the featured merchant (who I assume often has the best price). Having the other merchants listed (with higher prices) only helps conversion, because customers will feel like they're getting the best price without having to look elsewhere.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

5. Thanks From:

when you can lean on your own traffic, working for one merchant is no problem. BUT if you need Google for your traffic , Google will say : 'I can do better' en doesn't send you traffic anymore. :-(

can you expand what you mean ?

I don't think I have read anywhere that google gives different ranking to pages depending if they have affiliate link to one or more than one merchant

Doing alternating weeks will be good

I feel like there's quite a bit of risk if you suddenly switch to feature one merchant exclusively. For one thing, you won't be able to compare prices without being biased, or you'll need to remove comparisons altogether. This would change how you operate and your readers may feel like you're betraying and selling out on them.

If you are able to, you could test by inserting a few reviews without the comparisons in between your regular reviews and see if there are any changes to readership and conversion. And unless the money is very good, I would lean towards sticking with your current strategy.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread