Thread: Merchant reversal rates over the past 12 months

Merchant reversal rates over the past 12 months
    Hello everyone. It has been a while. The team at Prosperent has been busy building out our first datacenter, and cranking out new tools. I wanted to stop by and share some data with everyone. Our users often ask if their reversal rate with a particular merchant is normal or not, so I pulled 12 months worth of commission data from Prosperent and put together a quick Google Fusion Table that shows the average reversal rate across our 13,000 affiliates for each of our merchants. Enjoy!

https://www.google.com/fusiontables/...PI_mD8Rh5gtaOn

Affiliate Manager
    Revealing data and reversal rates. Good activity. Are there particular times that you experience peaks or valleys in your program? How do you recruit affiliates? We've just started to offer PPI for a greater incentive.
    Erin Walsh,
    Director of PR, [URL="http://bit.ly/1oapxzB"]Boost Affiliates[/URL]

Affiliate Manager Kush@VMInnovations's Avatar
    Whoa, an 84% reversal rate! In general would consider anything over 10% to be too high. Granted ladies return rate for shoes is higher than average but didn't think it would be in 20-30% range.

Quote Originally Posted by Kush@VMInnovations View Post
    Whoa, an 84% reversal rate! In general would consider anything over 10% to be too high. Granted ladies return rate for shoes is higher than average but didn't think it would be in 20-30% range.
    Yep, in some niches it's really high. 84% in my opinion is a merchant I would avoid working with though. Luckily, our algorithm's take this into account, so they see SIGNIFICANTLY less traffic as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by BoostAffiliates View Post
    Revealing data and reversal rates. Good activity. Are there particular times that you experience peaks or valleys in your program? How do you recruit affiliates? We've just started to offer PPI for a greater incentive.
    Revenue wise, we used to see slow downs based on season, etc, but we have been growing so fast that pretty much every month is better than the last. Overall, we're up over 100% 1st quarter of this year compared to 4th quarter of last yer (even with the holidays). Most of our 13,000 affiliates have joined by word of mouth. We offer better tools and data, and in turn, people talk. Our algorithm's take epc, conversion rate, and other network performance metrics into account, so any merchants looking for a boost in our system can do so by increasing their commission rate with us.

Interesting list -- thanks for sharing!

It would be nice to have a tad of context, although this probably isn't possible without revealing more than you want.

Specifically -- that is quite a lot of merchants with a 0% reversal rate -- but how much volume is associated with these? A reversal rate of 0% in 12 months is way less impressive is there were only 2 recorded sales -- but if there were 2,000 sales that would be something!

Quote Originally Posted by OTProf View Post
    how much volume is associated with these?
    It is for merchants with at least 10 sales since April 20, 2013.

Affiliate Manager Kush@VMInnovations's Avatar
    Would you say that your reversal rates are in-line with respective programs overall reversal rates within networks? E.g. CowBoom 23.08%, is 20%+ their average reversal rate in general for everyone and not just Prosperent?

Thanks again for sharing good stuff in general.

It's odd how there can be such a large disparity for different affiliates or websites. I would give my left arm for just 15- to 20% reversal rate from Shopbop; with them I'm at a juncture where I don't even count the commissions from them until the cash is in my hand. By the same token, I don't get enough reversals from Revolve for them to even be noticeable.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

10. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Kush@VMInnovations View Post
    Would you say that your reversal rates are in-line with respective programs overall reversal rates within networks? E.g. CowBoom 23.08%, is 20%+ their average reversal rate in general for everyone and not just Prosperent?

Thanks again for sharing good stuff in general.

I think we are likely approaching those numbers. I can't say for certain because I don't know how many publishers a network like CJ has for example. With 13K publishers, I think we can give at least a rough overview of a particular merchant, but as David noted, his individual numbers may be different depending on the type of web site he has.

The numbers really help give you an indication if what you are seeing is outside of the norm (better or worse). If your reversal rate with Shopbop is worse than ours, there may be something you can do on your end to help with that. If on the other hand, your reversal rate is lower, well, keep doing what you are doing

12. Newsletter Signup