Thread: Prosperent server infrastructure

Prosperent server infrastructure
    I mentioned in another thread that we have been working to setup our first datacenter for Prosperent. I wanted to share some info and pictures here. We found that as we grew, it became more and more cost prohibitive to keep leasing dedicated servers. I'm in charge of server infrastructure here, and decided to take the leap to colocation. Even with years of experience with dedicated servers, it was a significant undertaking, but not only do we now own all of our own hardware, we can also scale infinitely across multiple datacenters. It's just one more sign that Prosperent is here to stay, and is committed to building more great tools that help affiliates.

Here is a thread on our forum that shows some of the initial progress: New servers racked and powered on

and of course, a picture of our first rack powered and running (we have 2 now):
    Attached Images Attached Images

Your "New Servers Racked" thread is great, I really found post#7 to be informative. Its good to see how much redundancy you built into the system.

3. Thanks From:

I probably spent a good month just researching things. I still made a couple mistakes along the way (bought a SAN instead of a NAS which you can read about here if you want: Servers, colocation, and infrastructure). I was fairly shocked that we didn't have any issues migrating to the new system. It was such a massive change that I expected there to be some major hang-ups, but we really just had minor config changes and were able to move fairly seamlessly.

5. Thanks From:

Did you negotiate your inbound bandwidth for the colo? For my config, I've found that FTP'ing datafeeds in a highly multi-threaded manner drives up colocation costs unless you meter inbound bandwidth? I grab about 65GB twice a day, which is enough to really jack up my bandwidth costs, even if though the high peak usage only lasts about 3 out of 24 hours.

For us, the difference was negligible. We push 175 Mb/s pretty much 24/7, so we just bought our bandwidth in bulk. 150Mb/s burstable up to 300Mb/s to start with for a flat rate. To give you an idea, we run about 10TB a day worth of data through each of our 3 MySQL servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Prosperent View Post
    For us, the difference was negligible. We push 175 Mb/s pretty much 24/7, so we just bought our bandwidth in bulk. 150Mb/s burstable up to 300Mb/s to start with for a flat rate. To give you an idea, we run about 10TB a day worth of data through each of our 3 MySQL servers.
    You guys are serving up some serious content!

I've got a weird setup 160 Mbps input for long enough not to be considered burst and only 5 Mbps output.

Did you end up leaving SL as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Prosperent View Post
    Did you end up leaving SL as well?
    Not yet. I've been pricing out colo but I've hit a couple of issues, the inbound bandwidth being the big one. I pay $5K a month right now at SL. Because of the inbound bandwidth problem, my colo costs aren't that much less. I guess I could start to turn a profit after 1.5 years when I take hardware costs into account.

If I have to add a few more servers, then colo starts to make a lot more financial sense.

Yeah, it sounds like you are pretty much at the line where it might start to make sense. bandwidth and power are the big expenses in colo. For us, we were WAAAAY over the line where it stated making financial sense. We pay 3x less for more hardware, and our break even point was abut 5 weeks (including hardware costs). If you do decide to take the plunge, let me know. I have a line on some killer servers for very little $$$.

12. Newsletter Signup